6.8 SPC Forums banner
41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
ARP Savage Barrel Rifle | 6.8 SPC Forums (68forums.com)

Here is a write up I did of my bolt action 6.8 based off of a .224V donor rifle. Some pictures and discussion about the Axis design and mag block are there. Although this was originally a prairie hunter, most things should remain the same as your .243 Axis as the Prairie Hunter is actually an Axis receiver, which I did not know until receiving it.

If you can get ahold of Savage Parts Department and order a mag for the Prairie Hunter .224V, it should be a direct fit with reliable loading.
Thanks, great write-up. I didn't know the Prairie Hunter was on an axis action and after checking it out, Savage Precision Rifles appear to be axis receivers, also. I wonder if the Prairie Hunter and Precisions are trued or get any extra attention compared to the Axis rifle? It looks like the Prairie Hunter and precision rifles have different bottom metal and the better metal magazines.

I didn't see any .224V mags on Savage's website. I will call to see if they have any available if not, I will use the .243 I have or order .223 (they have the spacer block). I hope this doesn't interfere with the PTG bolt head?

I was going to order the bolt head today but got sidetracked and ran out of time comparing the five different savage bolt heads I have. It looks like the Axis bolt is not quite the same. The buffers (the spacer behind the bolt heads) are slightly different. I don't have another axis bolt head to compare it to though. PTG, I believe, makes their bolt heads at different lengths depending on what cartridge and magazine is being used. I'll need to call them to ensure I order the correct bolt head.

·
Registered
697 Posts
The mags (and therefore bottom metal) are identical in dimensions as my Savage 10-FCP .308 and the Prairie Hunter/.224V mag will snap into the .308.

So actually, now that you mention it, I recall reading how the Axis mags are different and have a plastic clip type retainer, so the PH mag may not be a direct fit without changing bottom metal. Sorry for the misinformation, but yes it appears the PH and Precision Rifles use axis receiver and nothing else from the Axis.

In the past, Savage parts department has always been a big help. I bought a 11 Trophy Hunter XP in 7mm-08 with a blind mag and plastic stock a few years back. I swapped the plastic stock for a Bell & Carlson and let them know what I was doing and they gave me the exact bottom metal & magazine to make the conversion, along with the trigger guard. Most of what they have and can do isn't clearly on the website; you have to call.

It has and can certainly be done. Google and specifically the savage forums have loads of info on converting Axis rifles to an Axis receiver but anything else you could want.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: Guts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
The mags (and therefore bottom metal) are identical in dimensions as my Savage 10-FCP .308 and the Prairie Hunter/.224V mag will snap into the .308.

So actually, now that you mention it, I recall reading how the Axis mags are different and have a plastic clip type retainer, so the PH mag may not be a direct fit without changing bottom metal. Sorry for the misinformation, but yes it appears the PH and Precision Rifles use axis receiver and nothing else from the Axis.

In the past, Savage parts department has always been a big help. I bought a 11 Trophy Hunter XP in 7mm-08 with a blind mag and plastic stock a few years back. I swapped the plastic stock for a Bell & Carlson and let them know what I was doing and they gave me the exact bottom metal & magazine to make the conversion, along with the trigger guard. Most of what they have and can do isn't clearly on the website; you have to call.

It has and can certainly be done. Google and specifically the savage forums have loads of info on converting Axis rifles to an Axis receiver but anything else you could want.

Hope this helps.
This definitely helps. No worries about misinformation, its all part of the learning process. I will give Savage a call. In fact it gives me hope I might have another option when building the other rifle. Lefthand 10/110 actions are hard to find these days. I did se a possible LH donor Axis in the LGS yesterday in 6.5 Creed. I wonder if anyone has built a blind magazine Axis?

Reactions: leatherneck

·
Super Moderator
1,427 Posts
This definitely helps. No worries about misinformation, its all part of the learning process. I will give Savage a call. In fact it gives me hope I might have another option when building the other rifle. Lefthand 10/110 actions are hard to find these days. I did se a possible LH donor Axis in the LGS yesterday in 6.5 Creed. I wonder if anyone has built a blind magazine Axis?
I built mine on an Axis in 6.5 CM. PTG bolt head swap was easy. Not a blind mag but only took a couple of tweaks and the factory mag works fine with 6.8.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
I built mine on an Axis in 6.5 CM. PTG bolt head swap was easy. Not a blind mag but only took a couple of tweaks and the factory mag works fine with 6.8.
Thanks for the reply. Which length PTG bolt Head did you get for your conversion? How well does it shoot?

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
I did see a LH Savage 110 in 6.5 PRC in a gun store yesterday on the far side on the valley. The proprietor takes cash only and I did not have enough on me and he wouldn't take a deposit to hold it. It was right at closing and he had an appointment so he couldn't wait for me to run to the bank. I don't think I can get back over there until next week. I hope it will still be there.

Reactions: Nontypical

·
Super Moderator
1,427 Posts
Correct. ARP barrel from the group buy.

Reactions: Guts

·
Super Moderator
5,753 Posts
You can buy Savage actions from Northland Shooters Supply if you want to go that route, then choose the barrel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
You can buy Savage actions from Northland Shooters Supply if you want to go that route, then choose the barrel.

I check their website often and they only have one Savage Left Hand action setup that isn't a single shot and its not configured the way I would like it. Also, I think I can buy a complete rifle for the same price from Sportsmens. It wouldn't be 6.8 or .224, but I could sell the barrel to offset the cost?

Northland does sell LH Bighorn actions. I am VERY tempted to go that route. It is outside my budget, but I keep coming back to it.

·
Super Moderator
5,753 Posts
I check their website often and they only have one Savage Left Hand action setup that isn't a single shot and its not configured the way I would like it. Also, I think I can buy a complete rifle for the same price from Sportsmens. It wouldn't be 6.8 or .224, but I could sell the barrel to offset the cost?

Northland does sell LH Bighorn actions. I am VERY tempted to go that route. It is outside my budget, but I keep coming back to it.
I forgot you wanted LH. Good luck with it whichever way you decide to go.

I’m waiting on Leupold dual dovetail bases and rings so I can shoot mine.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Here's my favorite setup for Savage:

·
Super Moderator
5,753 Posts
Here's my favorite setup for Savage:
I’m ditching the 20 MOA rail and ordered the dual dovetail set up. I’ve got those on my Remington 700’s and like them a lot.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
I forgot you wanted LH. Good luck with it whichever way you decide to go.

Thanks, no worries.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
I'd ditch the 20 MOA rail also.

I just stopped at Sportsman's on the way home to see what they had on the rack in Left Hand for possible donor rifles. Two Tikka's one in 6.5 Ceed the other 308. And a Ruger predator in 6.5 Creed. Tikka might be a bit over my price for a donor.

What does everyone think of the Ruger predator as a donor?

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Looked a lot of places in the greater Phoenix area and online for any kind of donor rifle with very little luck. Though I found a true lefthanded Mauser action online, but it sold before the owner called me back.

I ordered a Savage model 10 action from Northland Sooters Supply. I should have it in about a week. James was very helpful. He tried hard to track down exactly what I was looking for, but with just a few minutes of getting my CC# Savage said it was no longer available.

I did get the last LH Savage action NSS had. It comes with the bottom metal for AICS and a 10 round Magpul (308, etc) magazine. I'll be offering this up for sale or trade for a hinged floor-plate or blind mag when it gets here.

I was very nearly tempted by the Bighorn action they had, but at $400+ more I couldn't quite pull the trigger.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
I’m ditching the 20 MOA rail and ordered the dual dovetail set up. I’ve got those on my Remington 700’s and like them a lot.

Have you received the bases and installing them yet? I'd like to use these bases also. Some reviews complain about mounting screws not working on the Savages.

I ordered the action you suggest from NSS, it comes with the 20 moa one piece and I'm looking to replace it too. I'm a bit of time away from mounting a scope, I still need barrels, a stock and to sort out magazines, but I want to collect as many parts that I can.

Reactions: semi_cop

·
Super Moderator
5,753 Posts
Have you received the bases and installing them yet? I'd like to use these bases also. Some reviews complain about mounting screws not working on the Savages.

I ordered the action you suggest from NSS, it comes with the 20 moa one piece and I'm looking to replace it too. I'm a bit of time away from mounting a scope, I still need barrels, a stock and to sort out magazines, but I want to collect as many parts that I can.
I’m headed home from shooting , I’ll post a pic when I get home

I did have one screw hole that had a burr or something and had to lube it up good and run it in and back out a couple of times before it would screw all the way in.

FYI: That’s with medium height rings 40 mm objective scope. The adjustable power ring would hit the base if I moved the scope any farther forward.

I got to the range and shot some 105 MKZ’s. It was on paper 1st shot.

Shot 5 shots, @ 50 yards. After shot 3-4 I moved it up and right a little. It was windy as heck and I had an audience with 10,000 questions about the suppressor, the gun, the caliber etc. etc.

I put up another target and shot 3, 90 grain white box Gold dots, 1st shot was noticeably hotter than the 2nd & 3rd and shot a 1/2” high, the 2nd & 3 shots key holed one another.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts