6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do I get one? No gun manufacturer makes one. What will it take to have one made? At the LGS picked up a Howa mini action in 350 legend, wow perfect brush gun out to 200 yards. Does anyone have a Howa action, pros and cons?

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Most common is Savage. If you can find a 224 Val, it's just a barrel swap. Otherwise you can use a 223 bolt opened up, and bottom metal from PTG or Accurate mag or MDT stock, and magazines from MDT.

I used a standard Savage Axis 223, swapped the barrel, got a bolt from another member that was cutting them at the time, and spread the OEM 223 mag lips to .350"-.370"

·
Registered
1 Posts
Most hunters and shooters would probably agree that Modern Sporting Rifles chambered in .223 Remington or 5.56x45mm NATO are great for varmint hunting, target shooting, and just having fun plinking at the range. However, using those smaller cartridges on larger game is a very controversial subject.
The AR-platform is extremely popular in the United States and offers many inherent advantages for hunters though.
For this reason, designers have made many attempts at building more powerful cartridges for the AR-15 over the years. Unfortunately, there are some significant challenges involved with building larger bore cartridges that improve upon the performance of the .223 Remington and 5.56x45mm NATO while still reliably functioning in an AR-15.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Remington made a 6.8 SPC Model 700 years ago if you can find one it would only need a stock and a bottom metal / magazine change

·
Registered
3 Posts
How do I get one? No gun manufacturer makes one. What will it take to have one made? At the LGS picked up a Howa mini action in 350 legend, wow perfect brush gun out to 200 yards. Does anyone have a Howa action, pros and cons?
I have the Howa mini action in 6.5 grendel and 7.62x39. It has a nice action. Combined with the Bell & Carlson stock makes for a lightweight, maneuverable rifle. They are fairly accurate as well. Sold my Ruger American in 7.62x39 after getting the Howa.

·
Registered
105 Posts
This is what I am hoping ruger brings back. I believe they wouldn't be able to keep up.

Ruger M77 Hawkeye 6.8 Rem Spc Compact. Rifle weights under 6lbs, 16 1/2" barrel, 12 3/8 LOP. American Walnut stock. I would put it in a composite and it would be going everywhere I went!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Remington made a 6.8 SPC Model 700 years ago if you can find one it would only need a stock and a bottom metal / magazine change
Think it would be OK after 700 years? (Sorry, couldn't resist.)

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Think it would be OK after 700 years? (Sorry, couldn't resist.)
Pretty sure the ATF would consider that an antique.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Most hunters and shooters would probably agree that Modern Sporting Rifles chambered in .223 Remington or 5.56x45mm NATO are great for varmint hunting, target shooting, and just having fun plinking at the range. However, using those smaller cartridges on larger game is a very controversial subject.
The AR-platform is extremely popular in the United States and offers many inherent advantages for hunters though.
For this reason, designers have made many attempts at building more powerful cartridges for the AR-15 over the years. Unfortunately, there are some significant challenges involved with building larger bore cartridges that improve upon the performance of the .223 Remington and 5.56x45mm NATO while still reliably functioning in an AR-15.
The 6.8 does it pretty darn well .

Sent from my LM-K920 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
430 Posts
A couple of good friends have Howas. All the rifles are good shooters. I have come close to purchasing them a couple of times, even had money down on one, but never quite ended up with one. Their rifles tend to be a bit heavy (not that weight is a much of an issue for me). Their actions get high praise. Howa actions are on some of Weatherby rifles.

·
Registered
430 Posts
If a manufacturer made it today, I would most definitely purchase a 6.8 SPC in any lever, pump, or bolt gun. Probably all three... Did Savage ever make any rifle in 6.8 SPC? I know they dropped their 6.5 G project because they could not get it to perform well. When I ordered a custom build 338 Win Mag, Savage told me if they ever made a rifle in any cartridge I could have one built by then.

Reactions: earlytom

·
Registered
105 Posts
If a manufacturer made it today, I would most definitely purchase a 6.8 SPC in any lever, pump, or bolt gun. Probably all three... Did Savage ever make any rifle in 6.8 SPC? I know they dropped their 6.5 G project because they could not get it to perform well. When I ordered a custom build 338 Win Mag, Savage told me if they ever made a rifle in any cartridge I could have one built by then.
I would settle for a Savage. Rather have the Ruger... Maybe just maybe Savage will bring back the M-99 and in 6.8 SPC lol.

A 6.8 Impulse would be pretty slick too...

·
Registered
4,509 Posts
For a bolt action, drop-mag options, I thought I would give an UPR15 upper from Uintah Precisions a try. The upper receiver and bolt arrived yesterday. I haven't decided how I want to do the barrel yet. The fit and finish was the best I've experienced. The fit on my lower was tight with zero slop. The barrel extension had 0.001" tolerance with the receiver. I won't have this project done until mid-summer. They don't list it on the website but they sell the upper receiver with bolt and barrel extension for $625. I may change my mind but my initial plan is to convert a 20" ARP SS barrel. I'll have to see what they local gun shop will charge me for switching the barrel extensions and if their is any machining required. If I do decide to go with one of UP's barrels, I would have been better off buying a complete upper from them. Their 6.8mm SPC2 barrels are 5R. It is not an option direct from their website but they do make them, just have to ask.

Reactions: earlytom and Guts

·
Registered
650 Posts
I would settle for a Savage...
Here's my 6.8 drop mag, bolt gun built on a Savage short action (actually, it started out as a cheap Stevens 200 in .223 Rem. with a tupperware stock) added a Douglas 6.8 1:11 twist 20" barrel, MDT chassis & 10 round .223 mag (modified for 6.8), an A*B Arms Urban Sniper Stock and a Rifle Basix trigger.

It's great for shooting p-dogs in the wind.

·
Registered
69 Posts
If you have deep pockets, a Bighorn action with a 224Valkarie bolt head will do it. I think MDT is making 224 Valkarie mags now, so they should work. Just need to pick a stock or chassis that you like, a trigger, and a barrel.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
105 Posts
If you have deep pockets, a Bighorn action with a 224Valkarie bolt head will do it. I think MDT is making 224 Valkarie mags now, so they should work. Just need to pick a stock or chassis that you like, a trigger, and a barrel.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
I really do like the Bighorn TL3 DLC & a 30 MOA rail. I want a SA and a LA for the bigger Magnums.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts