6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. New to the site and I've posted this question in the introduction section also. I have an 11 Y/O son, who will be able to hunt with me next year and I am contemplating a 6.8 SPC bolt rifle for him. It would have to something in the youth model size. A Rem LTR would be alittle to big and heavy for him at this age (though I would like to have one :) ). Any recomendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'd recommend the Thompson Contender model... I think you can order it through Ko-Tonics. 6.8 is such a great round... so little kick and it'll do a mighty fine job on deer.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
hmm
would make an ideal youth deer rifle..
my 11 year old took over my 59 Sako .243 this past season, took 2 deer with it, last year he got his first with a 223 singleshot NEF

·
Registered
441 Posts
For an 11 year old + 1 for the contender. No one when starting out should ever have more then one shot without having to manually reload IMO. It keeps them focused on the importance of hitting the mark every time and not rushing. You can always find a old .223 and open the bolt and rebarrel it for cheap with a cut back 270 barrel. I like the savages for this if going with a new barrel as you can do all but opening the bolt face up yourself. Actually that is what Remignton should have offered instead of a super heavy thing they put out. A 18-20 light barrel with a light stock would have been jsut the tick for a mountain or farm rifle. I would ave bought one and lengthen the leade to shoot some really long bullet and had a super light under 6.5 lbs that would reach out to 1K with custom bullets.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Hi, +1 on the T&C, the only other option might be the model 7 CDL, it also has a 20 inch barrel and only weighs 6 1/4lbs compared to the 7 1/4lbs of the LTR & SPS. Might be able to lighten it up a bit more with a custom stock.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
with kids it's also a balance of light enough that they can use it without being so light the recoil is abusive..

·
Registered
441 Posts
That is why when I first started teaching my kids to shoot when they were real little we always had to have the front balanced on a base as they were to small to even reach the fore end with enough strength to hold it up. Now that my oldest is 9 and mid one 8 and my youngest is 6 they can all handle shooting the smaller rifles like .22s or single shots without issue unsupported. For a normal sized rifle they would still need a support to shoot well. My oldest girl can handle things like my 30 30 lever but thats about it anything longer or heavier she need a support to stay steady. She can shoot my 6.8 all day long without ever complaining about the recoil but she certainly found the kick from my .357 sig glock not to her liking. :shock: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Kudos to all of you for getting the kids involved in shooting and hunting.

Keep it up.

The 6.8 is about the most ideal kids deer caliber I could ever think of. Light recoil, good performance on deer sized game at the ranges they will be comfortable shooting and easy/cheap to train on with them.

I don't have any kids, however we take a new youth hunter each year into our hunting party and make sure they connect with at least a big doe.

Antlers never seem to matter to them. The thrill of the hunt is all they need.

·
Registered
441 Posts
That is very cool and you are right my girls don't care what they hunt they jsut love hunting. I will say the bigger the better for my oldest. She is now starting to catch on tot he buck and rack thing so I will have to share.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts