1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
173 Posts
Usually when comparing cartridges, the one with a larger case volume and smaller bullet wins. This is kind of apples to oranges. Both of those cartridges would have to be built on the AR10 platform. I dont think a 6.8 can outperform anything in that size.

·
Registered
764 Posts
For people that don't have a lot of knowledge and understanding about ballistics, I've often used the .243 as a very rudimentary comparison of the 6.8 performance out to 100 yards, which is most people's normal shooting distance. I explain that the 6.8 delivers similar energy with a similar bullet weight (frequently slightly heavier) than the .243 for the first 100 yards and does so with less recoil and muzzle blast due to it's smaller cartridge and then highlight it's benefits for young/small shooters.

Since the .243 is generally revered, I often receive nods of approval and continued interest. I leave out the barrel length details as that usually begins to cloud the discussion.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Very interesting, thanks for posting. If the 20”-16” barrel numbers were listed as from the 6.8 no one would think twice. A lot less powder and recoil for a better result.

Is the 6.8 SPC chipping away at the pedestal of the mighty .243?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts