6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
CDNN has mags for the Ruger SR556 in 6.8 on sale for $9.99. They are made by C-Products like my others, so I expect they should work fine. They are 25rds instead of 28rds and have a less aggressive curve in the design.

CDNN Link here

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
What is the difference between Ruger and their standard ar 15 magizine ?

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As far as I can tell, the clear differences are round support (25 for the Ruger-branded vs 28 for the standard C-PRODUCTS), and the aggressiveness of the curve in the mag (the Ruger-branded is straighter).

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Those look like the older c-products mags. If so, I have some and they work fine. Like 2.285 COAL IIRC.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I just got mine today, they are indeed older cpd mags and do fit standard ar. Have not function tested them yet but couldn't pass up $10 a mag.
20200715_221251.jpg

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
LHGA, if you reload, when you get a chance see what kind of COAL those mags will take. Thanks!

·
Registered
63 Posts
So are these magazines the kind where the front edge can catch on case lips, or is the front notched down enough for them to clear?

I really don't like having to Dremel ASC mags to get them running right.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mine arrived yesterday. The fit is just fine. I can't address the "front edge catch" comment until I run them. I'll bet they're just fine, though.

·
Registered
157 Posts
LHGA, if you reload, when you get a chance see what kind of COAL those mags will take. Thanks!
Hey greentick, my 2.285 reloads fit fine but a longer c.o.a.l will hang up. Edit... just tried to fully load a mag and rounds started to hang after about 15. I believe a safer length would be 2.275.

·
Registered
157 Posts
So are these magazines the kind where the front edge can catch on case lips, or is the front notched down enough for them to clear?

Wlderdude, here are pics of how rounds feed from both sides of mag. Right hand rounds feed higher than left without modifying feed lips.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Would not the bullet engage the ramp and be lifted up before the neck got close to the front edge of the mag ?

Also is it possible the rounds feed higher on one side because the follower is not flat ?

·
Registered
212 Posts

Looking at the picture, the front is not relieved or notched like you’d find on a PRI mag.

So, in my experience, some bullet profiles may drag on the front in some magazines.

I’m not saying they won’t work, as I had some ASC mags in the past that functioned fine but clearly would scratch bullets during feeding.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I had just purchased a dozen from another vendor, price was not too much more at 12.99 with free shipping opposed to CDNNs $9.99 flat rate shipping but a dozen were all they had in inventory. Have finished more builds and always try to add at least six additional magazines per build so if gift it, sell it or leave to heirs there are not two dozen 6.8 ARs, half dozen 22 Noslers and only a couple magazines per firearm. This sale is perfect timing and ordered another twenty magazines. Have purchased 1,800 rounds of factory loaded 6.8 ammo plus another 1,500 pieces of new brass as well because rifles always sell better if have mags and ammo as during Sandy Hook made some good money selling AKs and SKSs in kits with 600 round sea led tin of ammo and three magazines per AK as most stores or people shopping could not find a rifle, ammo and magazines.

Pulled another 6.8 bare from the locker today and contacted ARP about purchasing a barrel for a special project. Have always believed in having a minimum of 2,000 rounds of ammo and a dozen magazines for every light fighter rifle in inventory. Have two overt rifle vests with six loadd 6.8 mags on each, have a six magazine bandoleers of 6.8 mags in each bedroomof house, living room, each truck and at work plus one of the MTM cases that hold fifteen loaded mags for emergencies and a dozen in my range kit.

Had outpatient injections in my neck today so was home from work and doctor about 2:00 pm so went to gun room in basement and was doing an inventory on magazines. At one time a local military base would pitch all their 5.56 mags with dents, bent feed lips or worn springs in 55 gallon drums and sell to a local scraa yard at mixed scraa prices. I was able to buy two of thoservice drums and repair nine of every ten mags so with new mags, different specialty mas have well over 500 5.56 mags and sold a pile after 1994 Bush Ban and a bunch during Sandy Hook but saved the money made selling well used units at $30 each and reinvested buying new mags at $9.99 after Sandy Hook.

Sold a half dozen ARs, ten AKs and a dozen SKSs during Sandy Hook bubble for silly money like was selling bricks of Remington Thunderbolts for $50 to $100 based on buyer. Always having flip rifles/ammo/mags for times of shortages is what keeps feeding my obsessive habit. Purchased a dozen slick side Smith M&P 15s at $399, six forward assist at $425 and six DPMS at $449 when prices bottomed out and prices are getting close to time to flip few again.

While doing inventory in basement this evening store all my magazines in Sentry filet size fire/water proof storage boxes. Each holds 40 thirty round AR 15 mags, 33 FN FAL/L1a1 twenty rounders and about the same M14 mags. Not counting all the mage spread around house, work, trucks, bandoleers, range kit had sixty new in wrapper 6.8/22 Nosler not counting the 32 in shipment. May order another couple dozen if cash flow allows but need to inventory Mini 14, M14, AR 10 and other mags especially M10 and M11 metal units for my Ingrams. If Dems won the presidency Biden has sworn to get HR 5717 through in House and Sentate which adds 50% tax on ammo, bans new civilian sells of high capacity magazines, no new ARs, lowers or 80% to civilians either.

Like pre purchasing a huge bulk of guns, ammo, mags and reloading supplies soon as 94 Ban was shaping up, stockpiling ammo by the pallet in 1999 in case Y2K had been as bad s predict I pile up all I can of everything when a potential bubble is on horizon. Was lucky and purchased a dozen Franklin Gen 3 Binary triggers for $240 each the morning after Las Vegas which is half of retail now. Weekend bump fire stocks went to $900+ on gunbroker and they locked all auctions manged to sell eight of ten slide firestocks from parts locker at $500 each in 36 hours and a month lateate price ws back down to $99. While firearms are my main hobby now I play them like the stock market. Know nothing about stocks but know to buy guns when low and sell when high. Have about 75 to 80 of the Mag Tactical billed magnesum lowers left from when they were selling blems for $19 just before filing bankruptcy then more while Centerfire Systems was selling the Mag engraved post bankruptcy lowers for $33 each or less if purchased by the dozen.

If Trump doesn't win and Republicans hold the Senate our golden days of $39 lowers, $300 builds and 25 to 40 cent ammo are over. Hope all who like to play hard have already stockpiled all they need deep and wide. Have enough ammo and reloading components to lasas me over two decades without having to ration. Have my two lockers of SHTF ammo which will only be fired if society crumbles completely or be shot by my heirs. The folks that have to stop and buy ammo on way to the range then cry about being out when have a shortage make me wonder. Even with my hoard bought a LOT of 5.56 M193 and M855 December, January, February and into March. Beginning of May when began getting calls from first people wanting 5.56 ammo wife heard me negotiating a deal where would double my money on 1,200 rounds of M193 which is like dirt here on the Ponderosa and she cut me off and will not let me sell anything. Was negotiating a deal to sell N95 masks paid $3 each for $30 each and she shut me down, still won't let me sell surgical masks which we have thousands or any full NBC N100 gas masks.

Ordered 5,000 rounds of mixed Eley rim fire overy the weekend to fattend up my rim fire as only shoot premium rim fire so can sell the cheap stuff and she has said sell no rimfire. As an aside I just received 2,500 rounds of Eley 38 grain subsonic hollow point. Compared to most 42 to 45 grain subs that make 100 to 110 ft/lbs of energy the 38 grain Eley still makes 997 ft/lbs, is laser accurate and the hollow point opens reliably slaying ground hogs out to 75 yards. Can still find Eley and SK match rimfire but even Federal Gold Medal Match, CCI Green Tag, etc is drying up. SK has an entry level standard velocity 40 grain rimfire that has a decent price point still available for folk who may be short on 22LR and want to fatten up. The bulk 6.8 ammo have been buying jut went up so high I won't by aymore unless vendor will sell a deal if buy a pile. Same with 22 Noslr brass price has gone loopy. Till the election feel things are going to get tighter so would buy if you can soon as possible.

When my twenty Ruger 6.8 mags arrive going to test them and if have no issues plus CNN has them still in stock plan to order at least two dozen more and three dozen if my 22 Noslr like them. Another rash of riots and won't be much left at fair prices.

·
Registered
212 Posts
So I purchased 6 of these. For $10 a mag I figure I should take a chance. If they work, I’ll order more. Worst case they’ll need a little tuning, which is not a major issue.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I didn't risk them running out so ordered another twenty and when first order arrives if run 6.8 and 22 Nosler with even some tweaking will probably order more. Remember selling worn out military reject 30 round 5.56 magazines for $30 each after Bush Ban went into effect in 1994. Had the two 55 gallon drums from local military base so cleaned up all, made all needed repairs and sold half of them which financed my TRG 42. When mags dropped to under ten bucks each have added a dozen to almost every parts order I make to point storage is becoming an issue. While I never use Magpul polymer magazines was able to buy a deal in 200 Gen 2 black & FDE (100 of each 30) rounders a gun shop overstocked on and still had storage room stacked to ceilings two years after bringing in basically a truck load. All are still in wrappers stored in a used fire safe I found on Craigslist. Also found a bunch of "LEO/military use only" marked magazines which had the year of manufacture stamped. When Bush Ban expired they became free game and if new ban with a cut off date like the original AWB then will be easy to prove they were made before whatever the date is when they pass another high cap ban. Feel next ban won't have an expiration so loading them deep.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts