6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bullets in Bold are ideal for use when using the AR-15.

Weight****Brand**** Type******Length*****B.C.

90 gr*****Speer*****TNT*******0.850"***0.275

90 gr*****Sierra*****HP********0.850"***0.219

100 gr****Speer*****HP********0.866****0.225

100 gr****Hornady***SP********0.890"***0.307

100 gr***Remington**PSP********0.803"***0.252

110 gr****Sierra****Pro Hunter***0.936"***0.314

110 gr****Hornady***HP********1.015"***0.352

110 gr****Hornady**V-Max******1.032"***0.370

110 gr****Hornady**HPBT OTM***1.002"***0.360

110 gr****Barnes****TSX*******1.085"***0.323

110 gr****Barnes****TTSX******1.174"***0.377

110 gr****Nosler****AccuBond***N/A till June

115 gr****Sierra****HPBT OTM***0.945"***0.324

115 gr****Hornady**HPBT OTM***0.985"***?????

115 gr***Remington***FMJ******0.984****0.340

115 gr***Remington**HPBT***?????****?????

115 gr***Remington**UBCorelokt**0.984"****0.295

120 gr****Barnes****SP Solid****1.294"***0.438

130 gr****Speer****Hot-Cor SP**1.035"***0.408

130 gr****Speer***Hot-Cor SPBT*1.080"***0.449

130 gr****Speer***Grand Slam SP*1.056"**0.345

130 gr****Sierra****Pro Hunter***1.087"**0.418

130 gr****Sierra****Game King***1.123"**0.418

130 gr****Hornady***Interlock***1.108"**0.409

130 gr****Hornady***Interbond***1.260"**0.460

130 gr****Barnes******TSX*****1.302"**0.431

130 gr****Nosler***SP Partition***1.122"**0.416

130 gr****Nosler****AccuBond***1.128"**0.435

130 gr ***Nosler*****Silver Tip***1.217"**0.433

130 gr***Remington***Corelokt***1.040"**0.433

130 gr**Woodleigh****Weldcore**1.087"**0.409

All of the bullets that have measurements are ones I have and personally measured with a Starrett 6" digital Caliper. I measured a minimum of 10 bullets. Measuring each bullet 2-3X. I took the average unless one number reoccurred more then 40% of the time. I took the measurement rounded to the nearest 0.000 The one thing I noticed, all the bullets varied about 0.004-0.007 between bullets. The one exception to this was the Barnes. They varied barely 0.0006. Those bullet probably have the tightest tolerances overall of all the bullets here. I checked a few from the ogive using a comparator and the variation was cut almost 5 fold. So measuring from the tip is very inexact. But measuring from the ogive using a comparator is very accurate. Something to think about when setting up your seating die.

I would say that any bullets under 1.100" is short enough to effectively use in an AR-15 that you intend to use the magazines to load the ammo. The Barnes 110 TTSX while longer is still most likely OK because it is much lighter then the 130s. The 130 need all the extra room for powder they can get because they work best with the slower powders. These are are also bulkier. You can most likely attain 2500 FPS with 130 gr bullets that are under the 1.100" OAL that are still loaded to a length that will allow the use of the magazines. The 130gr bullets that are in BOLD are the ones that fit that criteria. I have left the Barnes 120 not bold becasue, while this bullet can achieve the necessary velocity to be effective in the AR, even having to be set that far back into the case, it causes the neck past the ogive junction of the bullet to be seated inside the case. This is is not considered a good practice, as it can significantly effect accuracy. It can however be used effectively as a single load round. Give its BC it would have good performance.

Any bullets in bold are ideal to shoot out of the AR-15 platform.

If anyone has the spec for the ones in red or has a bullet they want to add please post it. Make sure you have the specs.

Tim

·
Registered
39 Posts
Nice.

Barnes site states the 110 TTSX BC as .377.

http://www.barnesbullets.com/products/r ... sx-bullet/

I'd like to find the specs for the Woodleigh Weldcore 130 it seems made to order. It's a short, soft, bonded, protected point bullet that expands 2-3 caliber. Woodleighs site states 1.087" and .409.

http://www.woodleighbullets.com.au/Bull ... tml#anchor

We need Remingtons 115 gr Ultra Core Loct bonded also. Remington claims a .295 BC.

Thanks Tim it's good to have real first hand data. I'm updating my software with your numbers.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks wow those are long. If you could what is the OAL to the end of the copper part of the bullet. Not including the nylon tip. Wondering if its all tip or the bullet was made longer as well.?

Thanks

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Funny that the 130 accubonds are shorter then the TTSX. The TTSX msot likely have a larger percentage of the OAL being neck so they can be loaded to the mag max. I would have certainly thought the 130 AC would have been longer then they are.

Tim

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have just measured the Rem 115 fmj at 1.001 inches

and the Rem 130 Corelokt at 1.040 inches.

Cheesehead

I am in the process of loading up some 130 Corelokts with "some" 2230.

I made these measurements with a micrometer, not a dial caliper.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Tim_W said:
Thanks, I wasn't sure anyone would have those as we never seem to talk about them much.

Tim
HI Tim , I agree no one seems to use them(speer 100gr hp) ?,I tested them in my rifle when i was trying to find out what ammo it liked, they were very accurate, but the sierra pro hunters were just a little bit better. I also pulled some factory Remington ammo here are the results,

Remington 115gr fmj length 0.984*****BC***** 0.340.

Frank.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Frank,

Thanks for doing that. only a few left now. On the 100 Speers. The issue with them is that there are other bullets that do everything they do but with better BC and the same price. The Hdy 100 SP are excellent. They have a much higher BC then even the TNT 90s which is suppose to be very good. If you have a chance pick one up and examine it. Take a look at this pic. Look carefully at the 100 SP. It has the lead nose but the copper jacket has already had the clover leaf started and scored. As it contacts and penetrates the lead core is going to compress and expand. The jacket is going to peel back the same every time because of the scoring. I think that bullet would probably make a better deer round then even the PH. This is just a SWAG. Also notice how the only difference between the Hdy 110 HP FB and the 110 HPBT is the BT. I think they are otherwise the same bullet. I am starting to change my opinion on different bullets and what I use on what. I am sold on the 130s for hunting. For LR flat shooting i like the TTSX and soon the AccuBond. For Varmint the 90 TNT. For top speed the 90 HP Sierra's. For smallest groups the SMK. My general goal is to see how fast I can push each available bullet out right then while maintaining 1 moa or better.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Thanks Tim, good info there, I haven't tried any 130gr bullets yet but will have to give them a go.I use my 6.8 for hunting only, mostly thin skinned animals like ,foxes, kangaroo , goats, and the 100-115gr bullets do fine. Some of my mates are talking about a deer hunt, as the season has just opened here ,so i will load 130gr and see see how they go. The problem i have is down here in Australia, is the availability of certain products. Sierra , Remington ,Nosler, Speer projectiles are readily available, but others like hornady are hard to get and they stock a limited selection, Barnes are dear as poison but readily available, when i heard Nosler was bringing out a new bullet in February I thought great should see it here around xmas, lol, now that it has been delayed who knows when it will hit Aussie shores?
I also wanted to try SSA ammo, when i tried to import some the of amount hassle and paperwork i had to go through with the cost just squashed the idea. The only factory ammo available here is the Remington 115gr fmj and my rifle hates it,the only brass ive seen is the Rem stuff, and i have to shoot it all out of a bolt gun ARRgGGGHHHH, still love it though :D
Frank.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You are welcome. If I may suggest if you are taking mostly varmints try the Speer 90 TNT. They have even been used on Deer effectively although not my first choice there. It is the perfect round for what you have described give they are easily gotten down under. I wish I could get some of your ADI powder. It is fantastic powder and better then many here. I can't remember whihc one but it was tops on a few different loads by a nice margin. I looked all over the place for away to get it here. They have a partnership with Hogdgon but still no dice on what I wanted.

You can push those 90s to 3K with a 18-20 and in the mid 2900 with a 16. It will shoot as flat as many 308 rounds out to 500. I don't know prices down there, but they are one of the less expensive ones here. Remington's loaded ammo sucks. at least what we get here. Some of there bullet are great for training or plinking round though as you can get them super cheap.

Tim

·
Registered
307 Posts
Tim_W said:
Thanks wow those are long. If you could what is the OAL to the end of the copper part of the bullet. Not including the nylon tip. Wondering if its all tip or the bullet was made longer as well.?

Thanks
.990 from base to end of jacket where tip starts.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
cheesehead said:
The 130 grain Remington Corelokt is the longest of the 130's at 1.040 inches, so far.Cheese
Unless you added a 0 in by mistake before the 4 that is the second shortest 130 grain bullet. It is nowhere near the longest. It's shorter then some of the 110 bullets! The longest I have measured there very well may be longer ones still was 1.302. That was the 130 gr Barnes TSX. The Remington is 0.262" shorter then that. I think yo might have just looked at he others wrong. I've do it a few time doing the measuring already. Well if your measurement is correct that is a good thing. One more bullet we can use and attain good velocity with. To bad its a Remington. Thanks for getting the measurement.

Tim

·
Registered
30 Posts
My mistake, I did look at the other measurements wrong. The Rem corelokt really is 1.040 inches, I double checked. :oops: :oops: :oops:

Cheese (over tired)

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thats alright you gave us another measurement we didn't have. That is another 130 that can be used. :D

Tim

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have just measured and averaged 10 Remington 100 grain psp bullets. The average is .803 inches. I love Remington bullets, they are cheap and accurate.

Cheese

1 - 20 of 41 Posts