6.8 SPC Forums banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Congrats on the bull elk! Good job! Good Predator! The idea of bring enough gun is not a new one! The larger the caliber and velocity, that gives the hunter a larger margin of error. 6.8 is absolutely adequate fro elk within the hunters capabilities and caliber limitations. I shot an elk at 301 yards. Bang, flop. Hands down the quickest elk kill I have ever seen. I used 120gr SST. Like Xman said, I found the bullet jacket and core separated and we resting on the far side under the hide. Double lung hit and hit the aorta. Know yourself limits and know your equipment and the 6.8 will get it done. I am going to use the CBB MKZ 105 and 120 for my elk hunt this year if I get drawn. The lack of recoil for follow up shots cannot be discounted as you said in the two quick shots you placed on the bull elk.
I have confidence in the CBB MKZ bullet. How much meat damage did bullet cause?

Al

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Meat damage was basically non existent since I had two entries and no exits.

I know it’s popular for fudds to say “you only need one shot”…. And technically, I did only “need” one based on placement, but why risk running?

My philosophy with any game I hunt is why only do one when I have the ability to do more; like a self defense situation, shoot until the threat is down, or this case, the food is down. Why not? And that’s one reason I love hunting with this rifle. Instant follow up shots. My last deer I shot with this rifle I also hit twice. First at an acute frontal quartering angle; the deer hopped and kicked, landed, then caught another broadside. He ran 20 yards tops. That was 120 SST’s at around 80 yards. And those bullets shredded him.

I stay in my scope, and the low recoil of this rifle (suppresor, low mass carrier, tuned gas) makes follow ups automatic.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have shot literally, dozens, of big game animals with Berger Hunting VLD's, and get the same results you did on your elk. Soup on the inside, and no exit. Only one has ever taken a step. Gotta love bang flops, and soup.

·
Registered
401 Posts
There is one aspect of terminal performance that often is forgotten. Because the offside hide is strong and flexible, it acts like a catcher's mitt. I've had two 120 SSTs shots on deer where the bullet fragmented, shed its jacket, and left a hole in the offside rib cage big enough to put my fist through ... but no exit wound. The hide contained all the fragments.

An elk's hide is thicker than a deer's. I wouldn't be surprised this is what happened in your situation. Especially, as large as the MKZ expands inside 100 yards.
great points

·
Registered
50 Posts
View attachment 74410
12.5” ARP, 6.8 with 120gr Cavity Back 27.5 AA2200 COAL at 2.35 using windowed PRI mag, 2500 FPS, Form 1 suppressor (which is outstanding).

Shot at 40ish yards. Hit him twice, both double lungs. First shot he went down on the front legs, then I banged him again, and he rolled over.

Terminal performance was great as he didn’t move, however I was surprised I did not get full penetrations. The bullets showed about 1” diameter entry wounds then about 5x4” exit wounds in the lungs. Did not see any evidence of impact on the off ribs and did not recover the bullets, both of which I found odd.

His body cavity was completely full of blood, so perhaps the bullets were in the shit I had to keep rolling him over to dump out. Regardless, I just found the lack full penetration surprising.

But It’s hard to argue with a bang flop on a bull.

ETA: Hutning suppressed is awesome. The “Thwop” of the hits were loud.
Nice kill. Congratulations.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts