6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Needs some input/help regarding a 6.8 spc II upper that I'm looking at purchasing from a friend. The problem at hand is that when shooting reloads the gun stove pipes, but functions flawlessly when shooting factory loads. Anything I should be worried about regarding the upper or just a problem with the reloads? I understand the info doesn't give the best example here, but was all I got.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
10,784 Posts
Needs some input/help regarding a 6.8 spc II upper that I'm looking at purchasing from a friend. The problem at hand is that when shooting reloads the gun stove pipes, but functions flawlessly when shooting factory loads. Anything I should be worried about regarding the upper or just a problem with the reloads? I understand the info doesn't give the best example here, but was all I got.

Thanks.
Sounds like the reloads are weak, low pressure.

·
Registered
4,582 Posts
Prelude8626, hard to give advise when one is not there to see and examine. Another possibility is that the reloads are too hot resulting in chamber pressure being too high during extraction which holds the case against the chamber wall and delaying extraction. This condition can leave the brass cloudy instead of shining - a clue that this is the situation.

Others may have additional suggestions.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Ok great. What I thought but wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.
Yes you are. Always give COMPLETE info like what is your reload recipe, bullet, powder charge, COL, brass, etc. Then maybe we can guess better if too hot or too cold. What lower setup? stock, buffer, spring, type Bolt carrier, etc.

Otherwise we can guess all over the place.

·
Registered
8,933 Posts
If it works with various factory loads then it is definitely a problem with the reloads.

·
Registered
251 Posts

Thanks.
I would highly suspect the issue is with the reloads not the upper, considering factory ammo isn't a problem.

One question - who assembled the upper? If this upper was built by your friend, I would suggest you pass on it.

·
Banned
61 Posts
since it shoots factory fine, i wouldnt ness. pass on it. esp. if it had an arp barrel and/or was a good deal. half the ar's out their are home built or at min. messed with, aint many build/rebuild goofs that cant be fixed (and doesnt sound like this one has issue anyway)

·
Registered
482 Posts
I reload my triad ARP barrel, it is a fine, reliable weapon.
Reload to the hot side of the chart.
Suspect the reloads are getting too much shoulder bump.
Buy it. I'll buy it if you don't get it running, by info gathered here,
On The Best Internet Weapons board.
John Higginbotham
Kilgore Texas

·
Registered
4,114 Posts
I too think it's the reloads giving the problem, but more info on the upper you're considering would help too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts