6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About to get back into 6.8 and will be reloading. Have an AR Performance Upper Hunter Model purchased in Feb 2010. At that time I purchased the RCBS 13303 6.8 Small Base Die Set. I also have the Lee FCD, have had good results with it in other calibers. Anyone see any issues with this setup? Kinda dropped the 6.8 for a while and want to start it again.

·
Registered
982 Posts
The only issue I see is that unless you have an unusually small SAAMI chamber those small base dies will be hard on the brass and possibly cost you accuracy.
As much as I hate to say it you might want to spring for a standard sizing die .

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
The small base dies are recommended for the DMR chamber from what I have read but the Hornady dies are as well.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I would recommend the Hornady New Dimension dies. Hornady does not make "small base" dies and a call to them indicated that all of their dies are made to small base dimensions. Excellent quality and finish on the dies. I've converted most all of my dies over to the Hornady New Dimension dies.

·
Registered
329 Posts
About to get back into 6.8 and will be reloading. Have an AR Performance Upper Hunter Model purchased in Feb 2010. At that time I purchased the RCBS 13303 6.8 Small Base Die Set. I also have the Lee FCD, have had good results with it in other calibers. Anyone see any issues with this setup? Kinda dropped the 6.8 for a while and want to start it again.
Whichever dies, there's case lube--I expanded my portfolio of case lube for the 6.8's wanted sheer numbers. I like Hornady One shot spray

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/438512/hornady-one-shot-case-lube-5-oz-aerosol?cm_vc=ProductFinding

Gotta ask: anyone try stopping at full-sizing and just neck-sizing (easier) instead, or do the cases just bunch up in the magazine when "fire-formed"?
Thanks, and enjoy the reloading!

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Whichever dies, there's case lube--I expanded my portfolio of case lube for the 6.8's wanted sheer numbers. I like Hornady One shot spray

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/438512/hornady-one-shot-case-lube-5-oz-aerosol?cm_vc=ProductFinding

Gotta ask: anyone try stopping at full-sizing and just neck-sizing (easier) instead, or do the cases just bunch up in the magazine when "fire-formed"?

I don't know if you would have any problem with the magazine's with the method you described but it would be a one time experiment if shooting an AR. They would jam and stick in the chamber most likely before the bolt would go into battery.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
I don't know if you would have any problem with the magazine's with the method you described but it would be a one time experiment if shooting an AR. They would jam and stick in the chamber most likely before the bolt would go into battery.
Agree 100%.

Neck size only is a good thing with a bolt gun, not a gas autoloader. I tried with an M1A and it didn't work well at all. I have no reason to try with an AR.

Some may disagree, but I know what works for me.

Ole Silver

·
Registered
660 Posts

Try bumping the shoulder .003 or .004.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts