6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've got an AR pistol lower sitting here for a few months with no upper. Been debating on what to get for a pistol length upper. I eventually want to end up with both rifle and pistol caliber uppers, but was planning to start with pistol calibers. Other expenses have come up causing me to put that off for a bit, but I still want to get a pistol upper and also get one of my rifles SBRed (at least submitted) before 41F takes affect. Well Greeno may have given me a starting point in the 6.8 pistol upper he has listed in the EE, but I'm not entirely sold on it being appropriate for my usage.

I mostly use my 6.8 for hunting deer, but will also use it for hogs should I get a chance. Usual hunting ranges are 70-100 yards in the woods, but part of our property is being clear cut this summer, so 150-200 yard shots may be possible this season. If I got the pistol it'd mostly be used in the woods probably closer to 50 yard shots mostly when I'd be walking or in dense brush. Anywhere that I'd have open longer shots I'd carry the rifle. I'll also hope to have a 8-8.5" form 1 silencer that I plan to use for hunting this year.

Is 7.5" barrel length adequate for a 6.8 SPC that's be used for hunting at closer ranges? If I were building one I'd probably have gone with a 10-12 inch barrel, but no real reason behind that.

Is Lothar-Walther a good barrel? I've seen mixed reviews for that brand, but a lot of those seem like barrel blanks chambered by a third party.

Any suggestion as to what bolt I should get for this thing?

Looking to get a complete BCG and I'm seeing a few available in my price range, namely Anderson, Stag and ARP. I know ARP is probably best of those, but will it work with the LW barrel? I'm leaning towards Anderson since it's best price. Still got 2-4 more stamps to put in by July, as well as buying parts for a couple of silencers, so I'm looking to stay budget on this and in that respect Anderson is leading the pack.

Thanks for your input. It'll help me to decide if I want to try to buy that upper or go a different route with building.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
For the last 2 years I have exclusively used my 7.5" 6.8 pistol for hunting white tails in the northeast. I use it on private property and doing DEC sponsored hunts. I harvest all the meat myself. Ranges from 50yards to 100 yards using XM68GD and 120gr SSTs have been very effective. I use a vortex viper PST 1x4 scope one a LaRue mount.

Target shooting I have stretched her out to 125 yards and would be very comfortable taking at shot on a deer at that range.

Now, my 12.5" arp builds are also excellent and I have no issue taking deer out to 225 yards on a solid rest taking my time.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
My shortest barrel is 9.25. She is sweet. Very accurate. Using Barnes 85gr TSX with if memory is right 30gr of H-322 I am getting 2,300. I have just built a 12" ARP have not shot yet I expect I Should get closer to 2,600 with same load. If you are using a suppressor you might get some major throat erosion. My YHM Ti does not recommend any thing less than 10" I think. Will be interesting to see the groups you get at a 100 yds.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
For the last 2 years I have exclusively used my 7.5" 6.8 pistol for hunting white tails in the northeast. I use it on private property and doing DEC sponsored hunts. I harvest all the meat myself. Ranges from 50yards to 100 yards using XM68GD and 120gr SSTs have been very effective. I use a vortex viper PST 1x4 scope one a LaRue mount.

Target shooting I have stretched her out to 125 yards and would be very comfortable taking at shot on a deer at that range.

Now, my 12.5" arp builds are also excellent and I have no issue taking deer out to 225 yards on a solid rest taking my time.
This is just me asking a question. 120 SST do a lot of damage on hogs and you losing much meat to the damage on deer? Hornaday's 110 BTHP has been a good go to. Round for me on deer with very litte if any meat damage. Also one most acurate rounds.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So y'all are having good results with the short (<10") barrels on deer out to 100 yards? How do you think it'd do on a hog?

I'm not reloading yet so I mostly use Federal Fusion for hunting as it pretty much stays available locally, but I've also got a bunch of the XM68GD thanks to Mass Ammo. Guess my biggest concern is not having enough velocity out of the 7.5" barrel for those bullets to do their job.

JoshT - I think you should buy greeno's upper...:D
I figured you'd think that. I'm seriously considering it, just wanting more opinions about it working for what I want to do with it.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
I have used and have a lot of the gold dots. If you are going to use on a deer make sure shot placement is good and nothing beyond a 100 yds. I think from my experience with a 9.25 with lots of deer DRT you will be good to go!. I do think you might want to try other rounds 110gr Hornaday factory or Barmes 85gr TSX just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
This is just me asking a question. 120 SST do a lot of damage on hogs and you losing much meat to the damage on deer? Hornaday's 110 BTHP has been a good go to. Round for me on deer with very litte if any meat damage. Also one most acurate rounds.
Hey Rob.... Not any more than the 90gr XM68GD to be honest. I do reload the 110 BTHP and use for target but have not tried them on deer, yet. I usually lose some shoulder meat either way but the 120sst are def explosive if they hit something soft. I'm sure they will react the same there as they do here in the northeast.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Hey Rob.... Not any more than the 90gr XM68GD to be honest. I do reload the 110 BTHP and use for target but have not tried them on deer, yet. I usually lose some shoulder meat either way but the 120sst are def explosive if they hit something soft. I'm sure they will react the same there as they do here in the northeast.
It is just me I hate to waste good venison. I have had great success with using 85gr Barnes. Small hole in and out deer DTR worst I have had was a 30 yds run then they went down. My second favorite are the 110s. Try them next season and tell what you got. Now if you want to have a lot of fun book a hog hunting time and use those 120. It will be worth every penny you spend to to do a stalk and kill a big boar. You will never be the same and want to go do again and again. I have hunted hogs in SC and Fl but those were from a blinds. TX hogs are big and when you walk around at night with them the thrill is amazing. There are some good guides here or they can recommend some great places to do it. Go get some!

·
Registered
6,732 Posts
Ivegot a 7.2" barrel pistol.... I have chrono'd the 110vmax &120sst out of it, I also have a 95 ttsx and a 110 ab load I hand load for it...what do you want to know?

What is your ideal "minimum" energy and lowest expansion speed? In theory the 110 ab will expand out to 250-300 yards ...but if you gotta have 1000 ft lbs or more than then its good out to 150--- it all depends on what your "ideal" hunting load is. ...my 7.2" is just as accurate as my 16" is .

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
With all of you being satisfied with your short barrels on game looks like I might be okay with the 7.5". I don't mind changing up the ammo I use, that's just what I've got and been using with my 16" ARP barrel.

I do think you might want to try other rounds
No doubt. When I actually have time to start hitting the range I'll be picking up a bunch more types of ammo to try out. Hopefully by then I'll also be able to start getting into reloading. Need to find what ammo the AR prefers, as well as a Savage 308 I bought last year and barely shot, and an old Remington 788 .243 that has only ever been fed 100gr Winchester Power-Point. Got a lot of shooting I need to do when I find the time and those are just a small part of it.

What I really need to do is build me about a 100 yard range here behind the house. According to Google Earth I've got about 150 yards to property line, about 600 yards of woods before closest field, and about 1800 yards to nearest road behind the house. No houses in between. Might not be able to shoot the high power stuff, but If I build a small backstop I would at least be comfortable with hand guns and 22s back there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts