6.8 SPC Forums banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
I don't know. I didn't notice that. I had a good email conversation with the owner, prior to ordering mine. I just emailed him your question. I'll let you know what he says.
His reply:
Sorry for taking so long to get to your email.

I guess someone was eventually going to ask the right question...haha. So what they're seeing is basically the patent pending construction of the handguard, and the reason why it's lighter than anything else out right now. It's commonly referred to as sandwich panel construction. I'm an aerospace engineer with composites experience so I've seen it a good bit.

These guys did a pretty good brief description of what it is:
Buy Composite Sandwich Panels | Rock West Composites

This is a little more in depth explanation and really well written:
Why You Should Be Using Sandwich Panels aircraft interiors and Formula 1 cars are so stiff and light

They only say aircraft interiors in the second article but it's also used on structural parts that will take bird strikes.

Anyone who's worked in composites will probably appreciate the difficulty and expense in making a tubular shaped sandwich laminate. The fact that it's used on formula one cars should say a lot. They're definitely on the cutting edge of composites technology.

I hope that answers your question.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Not sure what you mean. AWB? Civil war?
Well, we know the left is pushing for the one world government our whole lives. I am 48. Now, they are getting close.

Matthew 24:20
And pray that your flight may not be in winter or on the Sabbath.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Well, we know the left is pushing for the one world government our whole lives. I am 48. Now, they are getting close.

Matthew 24:20
And pray that your flight may not be in winter or on the Sabbath.
I wouldn’t say it’s the left pushing for it, they’re the useful idiots in all this, but I know what you mean.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
His reply:
Sorry for taking so long to get to your email.

I guess someone was eventually going to ask the right question...haha. So what they're seeing is basically the patent pending construction of the handguard, and the reason why it's lighter than anything else out right now. It's commonly referred to as sandwich panel construction. I'm an aerospace engineer with composites experience so I've seen it a good bit.

These guys did a pretty good brief description of what it is:
Buy Composite Sandwich Panels | Rock West Composites

This is a little more in depth explanation and really well written:
Why You Should Be Using Sandwich Panels aircraft interiors and Formula 1 cars are so stiff and light

They only say aircraft interiors in the second article but it's also used on structural parts that will take bird strikes.

Anyone who's worked in composites will probably appreciate the difficulty and expense in making a tubular shaped sandwich laminate. The fact that it's used on formula one cars should say a lot. They're definitely on the cutting edge of composites technology.

I hope that answers your question.
I had a feeling that’s what it was. I kinda doubt it’s strength benefits vs carbon fiber of equivalent volume. My coda handguard has thinner walls (significantly thinner) and seems stronger than the JAG, even though it’s only 0.4oz heavier (both are 13.5”). When I try to squeeze the jag together I hear cracking. No such thing with the coda. Maybe the cracking sounds aren’t a problem though. But there is the problem of bolting things on, like MLOK accessories. I hear the crunching when I tighten the screw. Nevetheless, I didn’t tighten it too tight, all is well and I’m happy with it. Would like to see a torture test of it, comparison with other CF handguard etc.

·
Registered
49 Posts
My coda handguard has thinner walls (significantly thinner) and seems stronger than the JAG, even though it’s only 0.4oz heavier (both are 13.5”). Would like to see a torture test of it, comparison with other CF handguard etc.
Oh, I see that the Jag is 2.8oz lighter, since it's is 4.1oz and the Coda is 6.9. Or are you comparing just the carbon tubes without barrel nuts and hardware?
Would like to see a torture test of it, comparison with other CF handguard etc.
Yeah, that would tell the tale. I'd like to see that. 3 of the top CF HGs will be $1000 though. Who can we encourage to get all of those just to destroy them? MrGunsnGear perhaps?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Oh, I see that the Jag is 2.8oz lighter, since it's is 4.1oz and the Coda is 6.9. Or are you comparing just the carbon tubes without barrel nuts and hardware?

Yeah, that would tell the tale. I'd like to see that. 3 of the top CF HGs will be $1000 though. Who can we encourage to get all of those just to destroy them? MrGunsnGear perhaps?
Yeah. I was comparing just the tubes. The coda uses barrel nut + trunnion, jag uses just a barrel nut. And it’s a bigass trunnion lol

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
When I bought both of mine, I made sure they were a heavy barrel. And RRA does the full length heavy, not just after the hand guards. With my basic M4 clone, they are 7.5 lbs, which is closer to the A2-A4 weight.

41 - 47 of 47 Posts