6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know of a reputable manufacturer offering a 16” lightweight/pencil profile barrel?

I just spoke to Wilson and the rep told me they discontinued their 6.8 barrels. I had an order in for the 16” mid length recon. Was 25 oz so I’m looking for something as close to that as possible.

ARP doesn’t ship to California. (By the way, what does “you 68forums guys know what to do” on his site mean?)

And I want a spec 2 chamber, not 6.8 bison. The only spec 2 chamber they offer comes unthreaded.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
959 Posts
Anyone know of a reputable manufacturer offering a 16" lightweight/pencil profile barrel?

I just spoke to Wilson and the rep told me they discontinued their 6.8 barrels. I had an order in for the 16" mid length recon. Was 25 oz so I'm looking for something as close to that as possible.

ARP doesn't ship to California. (By the way, what does "you 68forums guys know what to do" on his site mean?)

And I want a spec 2 chamber, not 6.8 bison. The only spec 2 chamber they offer comes unthreaded.

Any suggestions?
Bison and ARP chambers are further improvements on SPC II. My 16" Bison is a dang tack driver, and can handle some pretty stout hand loads.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
S, what is your reasoning on needing a sub 25 ounce 6.8 SPC II barrel? Way back in 2014 I built a super light weight 6.8 SPC II rifle. You don't need to take all the weight off the barrel, everything else can be made lighter. I took a PSA cold hammer forged barrel and had it cut down to under 22 ounces, rifle ended up at 3.26 pounds. I used several Wilson Combat barrels, they combined light weight with amazing accuracy.

(94) New Project light weight 4.89 pound 6.8 SPC II | 6.8 SPC Forums (68forums.com)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
S, what is your reasoning on needing a sub 25 ounce 6.8 SPC II barrel? Way back in 2014 I built a super light weight 6.8 SPC II rifle. You don't need to take all the weight off the barrel, everything else can be made lighter. I took a PSA cold hammer forged barrel and had it cut down to under 22 ounces, rifle ended up at 3.26 pounds. I used several Wilson Combat barrels, they combined light weight with amazing accuracy.

(94) New Project light weight 4.89 pound 6.8 SPC II | 6.8 SPC Forums (68forums.com)
I saw that thread. Awesome work. I don't want a super light one, just don't want any unnecessary weight. I just got done with a ~4.3lb 5.56 build. ~6.5Lbs with 40rd mag, Holosun, and light (after new lower is installed). I'm not going as light as that with the 6.8, but I want to be as light as possible. I'm happy with sub ~6.5lbs naked.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Check X Caliber. They will make your barrel to spec and they have different profiles. 2 friends have barrels from them and are happy .
Anyone know of a reputable manufacturer offering a 16" lightweight/pencil profile barrel?

I just spoke to Wilson and the rep told me they discontinued their 6.8 barrels. I had an order in for the 16" mid length recon. Was 25 oz so I'm looking for something as close to that as possible.

ARP doesn't ship to California. (By the way, what does "you 68forums guys know what to do" on his site mean?)

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
Can someone come to this gentleman's help on ordering a lawnmower axel in 6.8 SPC II in 16 inch length. He needs the secret handshake to ordering from ARP. Nothing shoots better, faster than one of his barrels.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Can someone come to this gentleman's help on ordering a lawnmower axel in 6.8 SPC II in 16 inch length. He needs the secret handshake to ordering from ARP. Nothing shoots better, faster than one of his barrels.
So there is a way?
Bluehaze2 recommended x caliber. It's the perfect one tbh considering they make a superlative arms piston specific barrel, and that's the gas system I'm using, but Jesus Christ it's almost $600 for a barrel with like 8 months lead time.

·
Registered
258 Posts
So there is a way?

I PMed constructor, he said he won't ship to CA.

Bluehaze2 recommended x caliber. It's the perfect one tbh considering they make a superlative arms piston specific barrel, and that's the gas system I'm using, but Jesus Christ it's almost $600 for a barrel with like 8 months lead time.
Do you know anyone that doesn't live in California that can buy it for you? Then have them ship it to you once they get it.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Their Bison Subsonic barrel might not be able to handle as hot of loads as the rifling has a much higher twist. Their other chambers should be fine.
Our subsonic barrels actually do just fine, the rifling twist rate makes virtually no difference to what loads the barrel will handle. I used to think it would matter too but until you get to around 1:4 twist (which nobody uses) it really doesn't.

As for our chambers, you are correct, no issues. Our actual 6.8 Bison chamber has more bullet jump than a min-spec 6.8 SPCII chamber, which again nobody actually makes a min-spec chamber.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts