6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am ready to purchase a new barrel and am looking at ARP. How much can I expect accuracy to suffer if I adhere to normal OAL ?(2.26 or so) I read so much about seating close to the lands and I use the concept in all of my bolt guns, I use A.I. mags to accomodate myself. I'm also sitting on a good quantity of factory and hand loads that closely match factory Hornady 110hpbt, I really don't wish to pull it all down and start over.I also don't want to modify or replace the magazines I have unless it's absolutely necessary. I will surely work up a hunting load which, shouldn't be a problem with so much good data here, was just curious about how critical the OAL is with the ARP barrels. I currently have a Yankee Hill barrel and can not make it shoot better than 1.5-2 MOA so, a step in any direction is a step up. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
each barrel, just like and individual, is different and has independent likes and dislikes. You'll have to see how well it does after you build it. I've found loads that shoot better at 2.260 and some better at beyond mag-length. If you already have loaded ammo, I would suggest that you get one of the ARP barrels without the new DMR match chamber. If you have any issues with your stock of handloaded ammo, I'd be more concerned about how much your shoulder is set-back. I've had over 0.006" difference in chamber dimensions. If you set your shoulder back the proper 0.003 to 0.004" for your old chamber, it may be too short for you new chamber.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Yep, they're all different. No skipping the work to find a good load. Often you can find a good starting point, but then have to develop it from there.

My dad has an 18" ARP and I loaded up some 110 hpbt on top of 29gr of H335 seated at 2.250 and they shot pretty darn good on steel out to 500 meters. Haven't put it on paper yet, but it shows potential.

I'm currently working on a load with the 110 hpbt loaded to my max magazine length. It's shooting a little over 1/2" at 100 meters (just a touch over 1" including called flyer, 5 shot group). I don't have an ARP barrel though.

-Alexander

·
Registered
628 Posts
Factory 120 gr sst is about 2.245 and shoots about an inch in my 16" arp scout. My 120sst handloads are 2.260. They shoot closer to 1/2". I wouldn't worry about the length. Now if you have handloads with brass fireformed for another chamber I'd be more worried about it not chambering if the shoulder set back is minimal.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I've got a SOTA barrel that I picked up from the Tulsa gun show here in Oklahoma a couple years back and it shoots very well especially at the price point. I got the 20in barrel with gas rifle system so I use some pretty slow powder and it seems to really like it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts