6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my first foray into buying 6.8 mags I bought ten c-products 25-round and one 10-round PRI mag. I’m using a lower that I’ve had for years and have used dozens of 5.56 mags in it. I’ve never experienced problems with it before, but of the eleven 6.8 mags I’ve bought 4 of them are oversized in one way or another.

The 10-round PRI mag almost needs to be greased to get it into the mag well. It’s oversized everywhere. Seven of the c-products mags insert & eject fine. The 3 c-products mags are oversized in different places. Two of them are too wide in the front of the mag. One is oversized in the middle. In 20 years of shooting 5.56 mags I haven’t experienced the type of problems that I’ve had in my first eleven 6.8 mags.

I guess my basic question is “do 6.8 mags generally have this many problems?” And how do I avoid going through this in the future?

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
mike_f said:
In my first foray into buying 6.8 mags I bought ten c-products 25-round and one 10-round PRI mag. I’m using a lower that I’ve had for years and have used dozens of 5.56 mags in it. I’ve never experienced problems with it before, but of the eleven 6.8 mags I’ve bought 4 of them are oversized in one way or another.

The 10-round PRI mag almost needs to be greased to get it into the mag well. It’s oversized everywhere. Seven of the c-products mags insert & eject fine. The 3 c-products mags are oversized in different places. Two of them are too wide in the front of the mag. One is oversized in the middle. In 20 years of shooting 5.56 mags I haven’t experienced the type of problems that I’ve had in my first eleven 6.8 mags.

I guess my basic question is “do 6.8 mags generally have this many problems?” And how do I avoid going through this in the future?
I've never had problems like that. I'd return the PRI Mag to PRI and get a new one and return the 3 C-Products mags to the vendor and get new ones. Have you tested the C-Products ones to see if they cycle properly?

·
Registered
410 Posts
Are your PRI's the new waffle pattern design? Of the three different brands of 6.8 mags I've found the Barrett's to always be 100% in fit and function. Old PRI and C product mags gave me all kinds of problems. The new one's have been 100% for me.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I had a similar situation wherein 5 of 10 new PRI waffle mags were a tight fit in my LMT lower. 15% of my 5.56 mags were also tight. Ended up moving the 6.8 over to my Bushmaster lower and only had to return 1 PRI mag; the replacement was slightly snug, but should wear in okay it appears. Sold the 5.56 mags that were tight.

But it goes to show that you need to at the least put each mag into your gun to check fit before storing it. If I'd assumed they were good to go and stashed them, and some AWB came along I could be sh*t out of luck trying to get replacement mags.

I think that manufacturer's QC in general has taken a dump in their rush to get product out the door in the last couple-three years. I've run across all kinds of issues; so many that the number of issues in the last couple years greatly eclipses all the issues I've had in the 1995-2005 period. Seriously.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
rcrandall said:
Are your PRI's the new waffle pattern design? snip
Yes, the PRI mag is one of the new waffle pattern mags. I emailed PRI & they said they'd replace it which is fine.

I haven't fired any rounds through the mags yet. I have loaded that mags that fit to capacity and haven't encountered any problems so far. I hope to get to the range this weekend or next and try them out.

I haven't contacted the vendor that sold me the c-products mags yet.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts