6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering if there is a good bolt or single shot rifle out there in 6.8mm -- I got my son a Rossi single shot in 243 and we are going hunting this weekend (special Youth Hunting weekend here in Texas) but he is rapidly outgrowing it and it's not very accurate anyway (best is 2 inch groups at 100 yards). I have my new 6.8mm and just put in a big order at SSA for ammo so I'm wondering -- is there a good bolt or hunting rifle out there I can get him? Any recommendations? The only one I have seen is the Remington but I wonder if there are any other makers out there?

·
Registered
119 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Double Tap

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Would the Remington bolt rifles have the improved chamber? Any problems shooting the SSA Combat loads out of them?

G

·
0 Posts
I would also like a bolt action Rem 700 in 6.8spc. Better than 223!!!! I bet w. the right chamber and a good barrel you would be close to 6mmbr performance out to 300 or more yards. Look at what we can get w. out chrome lined gas guns!

·
Registered
441 Posts
Poor Knight said:
Would the Remington bolt rifles have the improved chamber? Any problems shooting the SSA Combat loads out of them?

No they don't and yes they would. If you go with a Rem you will need to at a min have the chamber reamed but honestly the SPCII would not be the best chamber for a bolt gun. You want a DMR chamber. What I would do is find a used donor 700 and then rebarrel and get a 6.8 bolt from either Rem or PTG. Get your barrel from AR15Performance. IMO a 20" light profile with a carbon superlight stock would be the ideal bolt gun setup. You could then use the long 130s or any of the normal 6.8 bullets. OF particular interest in that config would be the Berger 130 .270 bullet with a .500 BC at 2600 FPS it would be good for most game out to 500yards. Not to mention the new 110Accubondwhihc seems to have a real world BC around .410andcanbe taken to 2850-2900 in a bolt gun.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Tim_W said:
[quote="Poor Knight":1yuj7htu]Would the Remington bolt rifles have the improved chamber? Any problems shooting the SSA Combat loads out of them?

No they don't and yes they would. If you go with a Rem you will need to at a min have the chamber reamed but honestly the SPCII would not be the best chamber for a bolt gun. You want a DMR chamber. What I would do is find a used donor 700 and then rebarrel and get a 6.8 bolt from either Rem or PTG. Get your barrel from AR15Performance. IMO a 20" light profile with a carbon superlight stock would be the ideal bolt gun setup. You could then use the long 130s or any of the normal 6.8 bullets. OF particular interest in that config would be the Berger 130 .270 bullet with a .500 BC at 2600 FPS it would be good for most game out to 500yards. Not to mention the new 110Accubondwhihc seems to have a real world BC around .410andcanbe taken to 2850-2900 in a bolt gun.[/quote:1yuj7htu]
The more I think about it, until I can buy a lightweight inexpensive bolt gun off the shelf in 6.8mm it just dooesn't make sense. If I am going to get a custom rifle in 6.8 mm that I want to reload, I should just get a 270 and really push the projectile to its limits! I guess the 6.8 really only makes sense on an AR platform which I can easily use for deer and hog hunting. That said , if I could buy an off the shelf Rem Model 7 youth in 6.8mm, I'd get it for my son vice a 243, just because I am already buying caseloads of ammo from SSA, and when he outgrew it it would still be a fun little rifle to have around.

·
Registered
19 Posts
A local shop has a 700 LTR (20" fluted, 1x10 twist) in 6.8 SPC. Price is $800 plus tax, though I'm sure he'll wheel and deal as it has been sitting in the rack for well over a year. Every time I walk in that shop I fondle it. I'm leaning towards this come tax return or bonus day as a happy trade off in performance between a .308 and .223 when you look at the price of quality match ammo (in absence of reloading which I will one day rectify) in all three calibers. I've owned a Winchester Model 70 and Remington 700 PSS in .308 and never liked the recoil. I am no wuss but I don't find .308 fun to shoot other than in semi autos. For .223 I'll stick with my SPR style AR15 unless they get banned in my state, in which case the 700 SPS will be on my list.

I have a 16X Super Sniper on a 6.8 chambered AR upper. I was thinking of using this on the 700 LTR and going with a 4.5-14 variable on the AR. What do you guys think of a that combo for the bolt gun? I don't think I need a 20 MOA base as I don't think I'll ever shoot further than 400 yards. Maybe a 10 MOA will do. Your input is welcomed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts