6.8 SPC Forums banner
61 - 80 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
4,621 Posts
I have a hunch that it will look pretty familiar.
I'll be very disappointed if Nosler is just going to stamp their name on brass made from the prior SSA machines/process. Nosler brass is super high quality. May two bags of the latest SSA brass with the new SSA headstamp (no line segments) had significant concentricity issues with the majority of cases. I had to stop using it.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·

Updates to the original threads have been made.

In the photo below, the top three are Nosler and the bottom three are the most recent SSA by Nosler. It appears pretty clear that Nosler is using the same equipment to make these cases as the most recent SSA cases that were released last year. In addition to the flash holes, the primer pockets of both headstamps also have very similar faint striations at the base of the pockets; what looks to me like the lightest impressions from freshly ground tooling.

Lets try to keep this thread documentation/data based and uncluttered if we can.
There is already discussion of the new Nosler brass taking place here...
http://68forums.com/forums/showthread.php?53965-New-Nosler-6-8-brass

·
Registered
4,621 Posts
Thanks for posting, Nswish. Can you measure neck thickness variation? If its varying from 0.012" to 0.15" around the case neck, there is no improvement there. Can you load a 10 rounds and check for concentricity? If five or more are running 0.003" to as much as 0.008" out of round, there's no improvement there either.

·
Registered
3,869 Posts

In the photo below, the top three are Nosler and the bottom three are the most recent SSA by Nosler. It appears pretty clear that Nosler is using the same equipment to make these cases as the most recent SSA cases that were released last year. In addition to the flash holes, the primer pockets of both headstamps also have very similar faint striations at the base of the pockets; what looks to me like the lightest impressions from freshly ground tooling.

Lets try to keep this thread documentation/data based and uncluttered if we can.
Hmm.....They put 'Rem' on the headstamp...Interesting?

·
Registered
2,892 Posts

Have you used this new brass and what do you think about it?

·
Registered
4,621 Posts
There must be another thread covering the details of the new Nosler brass. Nswish sent me 10 pieces for testing. All aspects of the Nosler brass, both static and dynamic, were the same as SSA brass except concentricity was much improved with Nosler brass compared to the last SSA fire sale. Even case head expansion matched prior records with SSA brass for the same load. If you like SSA brass, you will like the new SSA brass with the Nosler stamp on it also.

BTW, a concentricity issue resolves itself with the first firing.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
There must be another thread covering the details of the new Nosler brass. Nswish sent me 10 pieces for testing. All aspects of the Nosler brass, both static and dynamic, were the same as SSA brass except concentricity was much improved with Nosler brass compared to the last SSA fire sale. Even case head expansion matched prior records with SSA brass for the same load. If you like SSA brass, you will like the new SSA brass with the Nosler stamp on it also.

BTW, a concentricity issue resolves itself with the first firing.
Thank you very much for the information.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Here is one that you probably have not seen before:
Ammunition Auto part Metal Wheel Brass

This is a left over from a run of ammunition that we had made for an overseas customer. Note the II designation.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
VERY cool! :a44: I've done a LOT of digging, and you're right, I've never seen that one. Can you give us any details on it, like who made the brass (I'm going to assume it was Federal) and what bullet it was loaded with? Is there any chance some could ever hit the US market, or is it all on foreign ground now?
Much more importantly though... any chance there are a few (3 to 9) pieces that could be added to the full collection I have here on my end? Even if you just loaned them out for a photo shoot, I'd be happy to mail them back to you.

Here is one that you probably have not seen before:
View attachment 14961

This is a left over from a run of ammunition that we had made for an overseas customer. Note the II designation.

·
Registered
57 Posts
The brass was actually made and loaded at SSA around 2011. They were mostly loaded with 110 gr Accubonds. Had some loaded with 75gr carbide tipped armor piercing bullets that would penetrate 3/8" 500 Brinnell steel at 50 yrds out of an 8.5" barrel. That was pretty cool.

Zero chance of any of it hitting the US market. Sorry.

VERY cool! :a44: I've done a LOT of digging, and you're right, I've never seen that one. Can you give us any details on it, like who made the brass (I'm going to assume it was Federal) and what bullet it was loaded with? Is there any chance some could ever hit the US market, or is it all on foreign ground now?
Much more importantly though... any chance there are a few (3 to 9) pieces that could be added to the full collection I have here on my end? Even if you just loaned them out for a photo shoot, I'd be happy to mail them back to you.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
Photos still showing?

With all the news of photobucket shutting down accounts and blocking photos they host :a36: I'm just curious if people can still see my photos? They all still show on my end on multiple devices.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
Thanks but I was really talking about getting them added to the first page with all the technical info. I like to see them compared all in one place.
I don't have any of the starline brass yet, and not sure when that will happen. If someone wanted to send me nine of them I could get photos posted to match the others.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I don't have any of the starline brass yet, and not sure when that will happen. If someone wanted to send me nine of them I could get photos posted to match the others.
I think GeePee has done the work on it iirc. Measured case capacity and he cut some in half etc.

·
Registered
471 Posts
P.M. me your address and I will send you the cases you need.

Thanks,
Glenn

·
Registered
650 Posts
Read through this tread from post one to last yesterday carefully for first time. Went to reloading room and went through loaded ammo, brass that had been tumbled and ready for processing, primed pull downs and brass fully processed ready to load. Of interest to me found all three of the Barrett variations from first generation SSA. the rejected batch and latest generation SSA.

The Barrett from the recalled batch has been loaded with 90 grain TNTs loaded to near max charge. I purchased 200 pieces as once fired, have loaded twice and fired with 90 grain TNTs at near top of chart charges. So whats in boxes now has been factory loaded and reloaded twice with wife and I both inspect between each run and am only down to 193 cases. Unsure if wife culled them for some reason or another or wre just lost in process of shooting but have not had any fail while shooting but after empty them will most likely put them back for emergency use only.

61 - 80 of 80 Posts