6.8 SPC Forums banner
41 - 60 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
5,611 Posts
Aspp, I've got 10 of them in transit from ARx3 from my WTB thread, but his are all decapped, and possibly reamed or swaged. I'm thinking that if there were any with the original primers still intact, that they might show the staking better. If you have any with the primers intact, and if you think they highlight the staking I would love to add one/some to the photos, otherwise I should be all set. Good find though, it's been the early ones that have been the hardest to track down!

At this point, I think all I'm missing are the VERY first Remingtons, that did not have REM on the headstamp. I've updated the OP to show them with the one and only picture I've found of them.
I have had these sitting in a corner for years with some other random stuff I had forgotten about, I think all of them went through the decapper, but I'll look tomorrow.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 · (Edited)
This is from my WTB thread, but I feel it's pretty relevant to this thread, it was originally posted on 03/02/14 and is copied with ARx3's permission.
Note the purchase date, which is significant because it appears that the first commercial ammo to hit the store shelves was Remington, but that wasn't until July of 2005.
The nickel primers in the pictures are reloads, the factory ammo was loaded with brass primers.

I purchased my Barrett M-468 January 7,2005. I t came with 100 rounds of Factory Remington 115 OTM R68R1 ammunition. It's the brass with the crimped primers.

·
Registered
4,621 Posts
I just had 2 more bags of unprimed SSA arrive and it has the new headstamp that CAWolf just posted. Maybe this is a change that represents Nosler's takeover. My measurement of brass quality is neck thickness variation. The SSA neck thickness may have improved a bit with this new headstamp but its still running 0.0025" variation at its best and up to 0.0040" at it worst. Lately, I've been buying S&B FMJ from LAX ammo and plan on reloading their brass after I shoot it. It has the most consistent neck thickness, < 0.001" and the primers are not crimped like with Hornady factory ammo. Neck thickness on Remington has been this good also but the necks are another 0.002" thinner than the others.​

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Good stuff guys. The new headstamp font looks smaller to me, and closer to the primer pocket. I'm feeling confident we'll be seeing "6.8SPC NOSLER" pretty soon. Get the wrinkles ironed out under the SSA brand, then once quality is up to Nosler's standards, drop NOSLER into the press.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Some new info has added to the original posts regarding the new SSA brass.

~~ THE NOSLER ACQUISITION
~~

It appears that as of August 2014, under the new ownership of Nosler, SSA's long standing headstamp has been retooled.
Virgin brass being ordered from SSA and from Nosler (Shooters Pro Shop) now looks like this...

There was a lot of concern about the Nolser buyout and how that would cause SSA prices to sky rocket, but two observations can be made right out of the gate.

1) Pricing. Pre Nosler acquisition, SSA was selling brass for full retail pricing which was in the neighborhood of $65/100 pieces. Brass released under Nosler's ownership almost immediately dropped to sales pricing of $38.95 which hovers just below the current four year average of $39.80/100 for SSA once fired brass. These may turn out to be short lived sale prices, but for the immediate future, this is great news.

2) Quality. SSA had been revered as producing some of the most durable brass for reloaders, however, leading up to Nolser's takeover (or very possibly in the transition period) SSA's quality took a serious turn for the worst with multiple reports of bad brass making its way out, such as can be seen here...

Some SSA rims just prior to the release of the new Nosler/SSA brass

Couple that with the largest case weight variance in the field, and SSA was loosing ground to Hornady and S&B. From a variance standpoint, even Remington was holding much better weight tolerances than SSA. Good news is in though with initial SSA/Nosler variances holding steady with Remington and Federal, all of which are lagging slightly behind S&B.

Exhaustive case weight figures for ALL current and most previous headstamps are still being compiled and analyzed by me, but raw data is complete and was used to make the previous statements. I currently have 890 individual case weights in my spreadsheet from 17 different headstamps, many of which have been weighed twice due to the purchase of a more accurate scale.
:a43:
I know, I keep telling people that the data series is coming, but man, it's a lot of weighing and number crunching!!! :a42:

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
We have a new addition to the S&B family.

I'm not sure how early this started showing up, but as of late November 2014 some of the newest shipments of FMJ green box ammo are now arriving with this headstamp. Now that they don't have to account for the large primers, they've brought the letters in and centered them between the edge and the primer pocket.

mark6.8 has provided the above photo and is very graciously sending me a full set of ten to add to the collection. This is Mark's third contribution to this project and he has actually accounted for all of my S&B photography subjects. Thank you!

I'm embarrassed to say that with all the ammo I shoot, I've yet to buy or shoot a single round of 6.8 wearing the S&B headstamp, mostly on account of PSA not shipping their unbelievable ammo sales to MA. :a09:

·
Registered
55 Posts
In April 2014 I purchased 1K of the 6.8mm marked Fed brass without a crimp from one salvage seller. i sold half of the brass, sold the 6.8 upper and started working on the 358 MGP. I just bought from another salvager American Reloaders in Dec 2014 another 1K of the exact same headstamped Fed brass and all of it appears to be crimped. Point being that there is some Fed 6.8mm marked brass that is not crimped and some that is crimped. The bad part is it is not crimped so you can just look at it and tell it is crimped, it looks like it is not crimped.
Ed

FEDERAL

In mid 2012 we saw photos of Federals entry into the 6.8spc market with their initial headstamp. However, there was no official acknowledgement of this from Federal, and if memory serves me correct there was actual denial of any 6.8 production lines. But in December of 2012 the gates opened and LWRC absolutely flooded the market with once fired FC brass from their Six8 function tests. The speculation was over and FC 6.8mm brass was in reloaders hands. Initial production didn't include "MM" on the headstamp, but sometime in early 2013 brass quickly started changing over to include the MM. By late 2013 "FC 6.8MM SPC" was the standard. All primers have been Federals own AR Match Primers, with AR stamped right into them. They have all been heavily crimped and sealed with amber sealant, as the vast majority of Federal's initial production have gone into contract fulfillment for overseas governments.

((add photo of Federal's AR primers))

There are very strong initial indications that the first run of FC brass was held to extremely tight standards. Of the nine headstamps that I have completed data on, this brass is significantly more uniform from a case weight standpoint than anything else out there. My brass was sourced from about six different individuals, which is the largest pooling of resources I had to do for a single headstamp, yet the high/low spread over 86 cases is only 1.9 grains, with a SD of .373.

Since late 2013, this has been Federal's standard headstamp.
[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
In April 2014 I purchased 1K of the 6.8mm marked Fed brass without a crimp from one salvage seller. i sold half of the brass, sold the 6.8 upper and started working on the 358 MGP. I just bought from another salvager American Reloaders in Dec 2014 another 1K of the exact same headstamped Fed brass and all of it appears to be crimped. Point being that there is some Fed 6.8mm marked brass that is not crimped and some that is crimped. The bad part is it is not crimped so you can just look at it and tell it is crimped, it looks like it is not crimped.
Ed
Interesting find Ed, I'm assuming the brass you purchased was pulled, not once fired, is that correct? I don't completely understand your last sentence so I'm having a hard time picturing what you're trying to say. Do you have any left to show some photos? I didn't consider pulled brass when I was writing the descriptions, but depending on when the brass was pulled from the line, you're right, there could very well be some without the primers crimped in place. From everything I've purchased and read about, all of the loaded ammo and the vast majority of pulled brass has been crimped. Tell me a little more about what you purchased and please, post a photo for us. If anyone else has run across similar pieces, please chime in.

~~~

On another note, I have updated the Federal photos to show the AR primers, and I've added a photo of the newest brass coming from S&B, with the centered font. Thanks again mark6.8!

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
I pick up two bags of brass from SSA thinking it was the new Nosler brass. It has the same head stamp as the brass I got last year around March from SSA. Actually it was a Wilson back order. The brass I got today is better in one way but worse in another. The brass thickness is more even all the way around. But! The distance from the shoulder to the neck varrys a lot! When I take a case and roll it across a flat surface the shoulder wobbles bad. The shoulder is not square to the body. This can't be good for accuracy. Once fired I'm sure everything will be true. I think I will get some brass for Nosler and see if it is better.

·
Registered
4,621 Posts
So, whats the new Nosler Head Stamp look like? " 6.8 SPC" "NO$LER" It may be worth it if their 6.8 brass is as good as their other brass.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
So, whats the new Nosler Head Stamp look like? " 6.8 SPC" "NO$LER" It may be worth it if their 6.8 brass is as good as their other brass.
You posted a pic of the new head stamp from Nosler. The brass I recived looked just like the older brass from SSA. Maybe Nosler is dumping all the old SSA brass for cheap? SAA brass at one time in my opinion was the best you could get. I would like to try some of the new brass.

·
Registered
4,621 Posts
Since SSA has just been closed and the remaining SSA has been selling for 1/2 price, I'm guessing that the new Nosler brass will have a non-SSA headstamp.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
I'm guessing that the new Nosler brass will have a non-SSA headstamp.
That's my take on it as well, especially with the possible limited run of the newest SSA headstamp. I have an email into American Reloading regarding the new stuff they just posted and advertised as Nosler 6.8 brass. Nolser doesn't have anything on their website yet regarding 6.8 brass, so we'll have to wait and see what Am.Rel. says.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Sorry! I took it the new brass was for sale. After looking at the last batch of brass I recived from SAA, I'm getting the idea these are blems Art never intended to be sold to the public. Just a guess?

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
Sorry! I took it the new brass was for sale. After looking at the last batch of brass I received from SAA, I'm getting the idea these are blems Art never intended to be sold to the public. Just a guess?
I think you're right. Cleaning out the factory. But, you'd think they would sell the bad stuff to a brass recycler.
So, I will leave it as a '?'.

·
Registered
607 Posts
If nosler is dumping old brass under their name that's an awful way to gain reputation after just taking over another company

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
I got an email back today from Jesse at American Reloading confirming that NOLSER headstamped 6.8 brass has been released and that American Reloading received their shipment today. Their price is $74.99 and includes shipping. I know, it's unbelievably expensive, but I took one for the team and ordered a box for this thread and for the case weights & capacities that I'm compiling. Photos will be posted the day I receive the brass... although I have a hunch that it will look pretty familiar.

41 - 60 of 80 Posts