6.8 SPC Forums banner
21 - 40 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)

I've searched and searched and this one photograph is the only evidence I have of this headstamp. All I can surmise is that this is the headstamp Remington created once the 30 Remington conversions were proof positive that the 6.8 would work well, but before they started mass production and before the ammo was commercially available. If that is correct, that would place this headstamp in the area of 2004, as the cartridge was developed in 2003 and it was in July of 2005 that Remington was finally supplying ammo into the open market.
If anyone knows ANYTHING about this brass I'd love more info, either to shoot down or corroborate my theory; all I'm going on is the one photo!

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Still looking for anything? Recently purchased some brass and it has a wide variety of stamps.
If I don't have it listed or pictured it means I don't know about it, and I'd definitely be looking for those! But that's probably not much help now is it.

I THINK the only thing I'm missing at this point is some Remington brass that I'm guessing to be from very early on. The photo at the top of this page, with the red background, is the one that's eluding me. That one photo is the only evidence I've found of it.

Also there was one mention of some SSA brass that had the same headstamp as their first LRP brass, but with the small primers; I'm starting to think that one might have been remembered incorrectly and might not exist though.

I'll have some new photos going up in the next week or two to complete the Barrett 3x3 sets, and even a full set of the Remington with the staked primers, all of which were generously donated by some members as a result of my WTB thread.

Other than that I'm at a standstill for now unless someone stumbles upon something I've missed.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I just bought 5 boxes of Hornady 120 SST from Sportsman's Guide and they are all head stamped "6.8mm REM SPC". I was thinking this was the old style head stamp; I can't imagine this is old stock? I have the lot number, might have to give Hornady a call.

Trapper458

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I just bought 5 boxes of Hornady 120 SST from Sportsman's Guide and they are all head stamped "6.8mm REM SPC". I was thinking this was the old style head stamp; I can't imagine this is old stock? I have the lot number, might have to give Hornady a call.

Trapper458
That is interesting. I had seen some of the Hornady REM headstamps in ammo in early 2013 that seemed new, but I figured it must have surfaced from the back of a warehouse somewhere with everything being purchased after CT. But for it to be popping up again, and with 120SST, that has me wondering, as the SST's are fairly new to the 6.8spc. The following is pure speculation, but there was talk in the very beginning that Hornady was outsourcing their 6.8 brass production, I wonder if they had to go back to that supplier to meet demand and the original stamps are being use again?

·
Registered
47 Posts
I called Hornady and spoke to Tim with my question on the 120SST's with different Headstamps. He checked both lots of Ammo by lot number. The Answer given is the Ammo with the REM in the Headstamp is Hornady Mgf, this lot made in Feb 2014. My lot of Ammo with just 6.8mmSPC was outsourced to S&B and made to Hornady's specification, I didn't get a date of Mgf, but with the way this stuff jumps off the shelves it is probably pretty recent, I did note with some older brass, the REM headstamps were 10gr heavier than the others, after I fire some of these I'll check the cases for weight/capacity.

Trapper458

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Wow, excellent info Trapper458!!! S&B was the outsourcing manufacturer I had heard about. The headstamps are opposite what I had read, but the info you just got makes much more sense. Thank you so much for taking the initiative and calling them directly. I'll try to update the photo info on the first page later this evening.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Wow, excellent info Trapper458!!! S&B was the outsourcing manufacturer I had heard about. The headstamps are opposite what I had read, but the info you just got makes much more sense. Thank you so much for taking the initiative and calling them directly. I'll try to update the photo info on the first page later this evening.
Yes it does make a lot of sense. Explains why some of S&B 6.8 brass is LRP and some is SRP

·
Registered
523 Posts
This could also explain why a bunch of S&B ammo just showed up with small primers instead of the LRPs they had before. I'll bet they ran a whole bunch of Hornady brass, then just changed the headstamp and ran a bunch of their own brass. Anyone have a chance to compare the SRP S&B brass to the Hornady REM SPC brass? I'd bet they're darn near identical with the exception of headstamp.

ETA: Nimrod beat me to it!

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
This could also explain why a bunch of S&B ammo just showed up with small primers instead of the LRPs they had before. I'll bet they ran a whole bunch of Hornady brass, then just changed the headstamp and ran a bunch of their own brass. Anyone have a chance to compare the SRP S&B brass to the Hornady REM SPC brass? I'd bet they're darn near identical with the exception of headstamp.

We're on the same page. My exact thoughts!!!

·
Registered
317 Posts
If you look at your brass s&b uses a comma between 6 and 8 instead of a period. I bet it has that with the s&b hornady brass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
47 Posts

One small clarification, the S&B made ammo was not the HORNADY. 6.8mm REM SPC brass but the HORNADY 6,8mm SPC brass.

Regards,
Trapper458

·
Registered
47 Posts
If you look at your brass s&b uses a comma between 6 and 8 instead of a period. I bet it has that with the s&b hornady brass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, good call...it appears to be a small comma between the 6 and 8 on the Hornady/S&B....easier to see with a magnifying glass but there.

Trapper458

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 · (Edited)
The most informative thread I've read in a while. Thanks Nswish.
I'm happy to have been able to put it together and I'm very thankful for all the generous members who have donated brass, despite me offering to purchase or trade for much of it. By all accounts this has been a collaborative effort of this forum's membership.

Edit: Page one has been updated with the new info from "Tim" at Hornady via Trapper458. HUGE thank you for making that phone call!

·
Registered
308 Posts
If I don't have it listed or pictured it means I don't know about it, and I'd definitely be looking for those! But that's probably not much help now is it.

I THINK the only thing I'm missing at this point is some Remington brass that I'm guessing to be from very early on. The photo at the top of this page, with the red background, is the one that's eluding me. That one photo is the only evidence I've found of it.

Also there was one mention of some SSA brass that had the same headstamp as their first LRP brass, but with the small primers; I'm starting to think that one might have been remembered incorrectly and might not exist though.

I'll have some new photos going up in the next week or two to complete the Barrett 3x3 sets, and even a full set of the Remington with the staked primers, all of which were generously donated by some members as a result of my WTB thread.

Other than that I'm at a standstill for now unless someone stumbles upon something I've missed.
I will see what I have when I get home, I thought I saw some of those REM's you are looking for when sorting but my memory isn't the best.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Was able to look through all my LRP brass with no luck of finding any older stuff. Sorry I couldn't help.

·
Registered
5,611 Posts
Nswish, are you looking for any of these?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Aspp, I've got 10 of them in transit from ARx3 from my WTB thread, but his are all decapped, and possibly reamed or swaged. I'm thinking that if there were any with the original primers still intact, that they might show the staking better. If you have any with the primers intact, and if you think they highlight the staking I would love to add one/some to the photos, otherwise I should be all set. Good find though, it's been the early ones that have been the hardest to track down!

At this point, I think all I'm missing are the VERY first Remingtons, that did not have REM on the headstamp. I've updated the OP to show them with the one and only picture I've found of them.

21 - 40 of 80 Posts