6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shot a doe tonight on a private property hunt with a buddy of mine he owns quite a bit of land and has a very healthy deer herd so we decided to cull a few does. So here goes. 6.8 spc AR CMMG lower bushmaster upper YHM free float rail Eotech for optics. 130 grain remington corelock softpoint 24 grains of h4895 in a remington 6.8 case. I hit her as she was quartering away from me at 75 yards on her left side massive inpact she dropped from the shot and flopped for a second or two shot her again as she stood to run but the shot went low she ran about 75 yards and went down. the quartering shot destroyed 4 ribs on her left side, completely pulverized her left lung, took the pulmonary artery out, as well as the top of the aorta, passed through her jugular vein through her wind pipe and severed the carotid artery on the right side of her neck it was found under the skin in the right side of her neck. Bullet weight upon recovery 63 grains not bad not great but not bad she was DRT from the shot she just didnt know it bullet dumped all of its energy into her, her lung looked like somebody put it in a blender. I did a very thorough inspection of her to see what that little .270 bullet did it traveled far if I had hit her broadside it would had been a through and through wound. She was abot 125lbs on the hoof not bad for southern GA will post pics tommorow

·
Registered
441 Posts
I love it!!! Oh deer season is here finally. :mrgreen:

Make sure to get the pictures of the recovered bullet as well. Nothing like a picture of mangled flesh, copper,and lead. :twisted:

That is exactly how a sp is suppose to work.The 130s have more mass so more larger fragments and destruction higher SD so they drive deep even though they are shedding weight. You basically gutter her with the bullet. The ribs are probably what bled the energy to keep the bullet in her.

Get those pics up.

·
Registered
589 Posts
reyflete said:
Shot a doe tonight on a private property hunt with a buddy of mine he owns quite a bit of land and has a very healthy deer herd so we decided to cull a few does. So here goes. 6.8 spc AR CMMG lower bushmaster upper YHM free float rail Eotech for optics. 130 grain remington corelock softpoint 24 grains of h4895 in a remington 6.8 case. I hit her as she was quartering away from me at 75 yards on her left side massive inpact she dropped from the shot and flopped for a second or two shot her again as she stood to run but the shot went low she ran about 75 yards and went down. the quartering shot destroyed 4 ribs on her left side, completely pulverized her left lung, took the pulmonary artery out, as well as the top of the aorta, passed through her jugular vein through her wind pipe and severed the carotid artery on the right side of her neck it was found under the skin in the right side of her neck. Bullet weight upon recovery 63 grains not bad not great but not bad she was DRT from the shot she just didnt know it bullet dumped all of its energy into her, her lung looked like somebody put it in a blender. I did a very thorough inspection of her to see what that little .270 bullet did it traveled far if I had hit her broadside it would had been a through and through wound. She was abot 125lbs on the hoof not bad for southern GA will post pics tommorow
Congratulations! We need pics!

125# doe is pretty good. That'll make some good sausage and cube steak.

We're starting to get overrun with does around here and I hope to take several this year on my land using the 6.8. Over the last 5 years I've let a bunch of does walk but I need to restock my freezer.
Of course if a big buck steps out I'll have to take him too. :D

·
Registered
20 Posts
Congrats on a successful hunt. It's amazing that even with that kind of internal devastation they can run 75 yds but they do, and in just a few seconds too. Enjoy the venison.
Greg/buellist

1 - 4 of 4 Posts