6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't reload yet, but plan to get into it sometime in the near future. For now, I shoot factory ammo, but I keep all my brass for all the calibers I shoot. 9mm, .40, .357mag, 223, 308win, and soon to be 6.8mm!

As I begin to work on finding factory ammo my gun likes, are there any tips/tricks for 6.8 brass people want to share?

Any manufacturers/brands I should avoid?

Which factory brands produce the best 6.8 for reloading?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
SSA used to be the holy grail for 6.8 brass, but after they were purchased by Nosler, maybe not as good. Federal became widely available thru LWRC testing and is good quality brass, maybe a little shorter lifespan due to being softer than others, but good accuracy potential. Hornady is high quality all the way, with good lifespan and accuracy. Lately, the S&B brass has come along and may be a contender for the top spot. These are all small primer brass and there are a few others. Remington is high quality all the way with large primers. Try some for yourself and see what works best for you.

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
My Federal brass has a primer crimp so,I,bought a Dillion Super Swage today I,have 500 rds of this ammo and 1k of 5.56 with crimp so made since for me. My SSA brass is 4 years old I bought 1k of them so it is good. The Hornaday brass is a little better I think I do not have as many of them. I,still,have about 500 of remmy brass it works well and acurate but large rifle primers.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
My Federal brass has a primer crimp so,I,bought a Dillion Super Swage today I,have 500 rds of this ammo and 1k of 5.56 with crimp so made since for me. My SSA brass is 4 years old I bought 1k of them so it is good. The Hornaday brass is a little better I think I do not have as many of them. I,still,have about 500 of remmy brass it works well and acurate but large rifle primers.
An excellent suggestion that is often overlooked as Rob said if you don’t already have one a primer swaging set up is essential gear if you are building you brass supply from factory loads. I have allways been fond of Hornady brass but did stock up on SSA before Nosler took over just havent got into the new stuff much yet.<O:p</O:p

·
Registered
331 Posts
My own opinion...
Since 6.8 brass availability is somewhat off and on, I'd focus on first, good brands, then, whatever is available.
Remington is good and Rifter uses it a lot.
They all seem to work fine for me.
S&B, and the Hornady "6.8mm SPC" brass have capacities similar to SSA (the pre-nosler, anyway), small primer as stated above.
Hornady "6.8mmREM spc" brass is small primer but capacity similar to Rem brass.
Why Hornady did it 2 ways I don't know...
If you want, get the S&B ammo and shoot it, it's low cost but the brass you get is good stuff...

i have a few hundred of each, and develop loads for each brass...
I'm a relative late-comer to the 6.8 so had to get whatever was out there.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Look for sales on S&B ammo. I purchased 100 rounds of the 110gr. FMJ ammo and it was very accurate in my rifle and functioned perfectly. I've just started to reload the brass and find it to be of excellent quality. Wish I had purchased more of the ammo when it was on sale.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I suggest trying several possibilities since I have gotten different results with different brass. Example: same amount of powder and same bullet and primer, load was more accurate in one brand than another. I have tried this same thing with Hornady and Remington brass. One load with RE7 and some 90 grain Speer the Remington with large primer was more accurate than the same load with Hornady Brass and the small primer.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I don't reload yet, but plan to get into it sometime in the near future. For now, I shoot factory ammo, but I keep all my brass for all the calibers I shoot. 9mm, .40, .357mag, 223, 308win, and soon to be 6.8mm!

As I begin to work on finding factory ammo my gun likes, are there any tips/tricks for 6.8 brass people want to share?

Any manufacturers/brands I should avoid?

Which factory brands produce the best 6.8 for reloading?

Thanks!
My preference is s&b ammo and then use the brass for reloading. I get 6 or more reloads before they get really hard and brittle. No crimp, cheap ammo, same capacity as hornady. If you buy new brass nosler is pretty good, higher case capacity compared to other cases. Stay away from federal. Its too soft. Also primers are crimped. After a few reloads the primer pocket would expand, and a couple of times the case rim would break during resizing having to extract the case by other means. Hornady is a pain because primers are crimped. Once you remove the crimping they are equivalent to s&b.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I am new to the 6.8, so the jury is still out for me. Federal brass in any caliber has never been my choice, too soft. I did just buy some fed 6.8 at $10/20 for plinking ammo & hopefully 4-5 reloads. The S&B brass seems to be the cheapest way to go for quality brass.

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
From my latest findings, I have been doing a substantial amount of load development for the 6.8 lately. Since I use Redding Type S bushing dies I measure the neck thickness of a loaded round to figure out what bushing size to use to provide .003'' of neck tension consistently, SSA brass varies from .301''-.306'' where Federal varies from .302''-.303'' and Remington .299''-.300''. My SSA is old stock as well way before Nosler bought them, but it seems neck thickness is not as consistent as with the others. Just my experience.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I've been buying a bunch of the Sellier and Bellot ammo through Palmetto State. The brass is very consistent in weight and volume.
I've been reloading 110g V Max's .

·
Registered
126 Posts
From my latest findings, I have been doing a substantial amount of load development for the 6.8 lately. Since I use Redding Type S bushing dies I measure the neck thickness of a loaded round to figure out what bushing size to use to provide .003'' of neck tension consistently, SSA brass varies from .301''-.306'' where Federal varies from .302''-.303'' and Remington .299''-.300''. My SSA is old stock as well way before Nosler bought them, but it seems neck thickness is not as consistent as with the others. Just my experience.
Agree. I had a handful of once fired ssa I started loading with. My groups with S&B are better, so are my chrono numbers.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
I am new to the 6.8, so the jury is still out for me. Federal brass in any caliber has never been my choice, too soft. I did just buy some fed 6.8 at $10/20 for plinking ammo & hopefully 4-5 reloads. The S&B brass seems to be the cheapest way to go for quality brass.
I've got Federal 6.8 brass with 6+ reloads. Don't load them super hot, and they'll last a long time.

I switched to Federal brass months ago, because it's easy to find, and cheap. Getting 2900 fps+ with my 90 gr Gold Dot reloads, and don't have to push them hard.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just getting started in reloading myself. I've been buying Hornady ammo to get the brass, I didn't know S&B brass was that good. Good info to know.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Just getting started in reloading myself. I've been buying Hornady ammo to get the brass, I didn't know S&B brass was that good. Good info to know.
There's a very good chance most of the Hornady ammo you have bought possibly all of it the brass was made by S&B for them.
You need to check out the 68 brass thread.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
I hand prime all of my 6.8 reloads. Hand priming allows you to feel each primer as it goes into the case and seats. The current production S&B brass has a distinct feel when priming that is unlike any other brass I've used. You feel resistance the moment the primer begins to be seated and seems to go deeper than the other case brands (Hornady, Fed and SSA). There is a tighter feel to this brass in the priming process. It has become my preferred brass.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts