6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to get some spare bolts for my 6.8. I was able to get a bolt carrier group from cbb that had the arp super bolt when I first built the rifle. Super bolts are no more from what I’ve read. The Daniel defense, lwrci, and arp enhanced bolt are the ones I am considering. Is there any advantage to the lwrci bolt? Maybe I should just get 2 of the of the Daniel defense or arp enhanced bolts for the price of one lwrci.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Back whenever Palmetto would run one of their "its almost free' sales on their milspec or premium 6.8 Bolt Carrier Groups i would buy anywhere from three to eight based on what my inventory was and whenever LMT or a reseller would run a sale on the lobster tail bolts would buy a half dozen to a dozen. Remember at one point one of the clearance houses got their hands on a bunch of LMT's and purchased two dozen.

Every palmetto BCG I purchased when came out of parts locker would swap in an LMT bolt and put the Palmetto bolt in the pistol grip. Every 6.8 i own has a spare bolt in the grip along with a firing pin. Last count i still have more 6.8 BCGs than 6.8 barrels and this weekend while organizing the reloading room found a bag with six LMT bolts which put in truck and will go in parts locker tomorrow. When this most recent panic began said i would not build anymore 6.8s till over as too difficult to put my mandatory 1,000 rounds of ammo back for every build.

That is a carved in stone rule so have been building 5.56 rifles because have enough 5.56 milsurp ammo to wear out dozens of AR 15s. Was discussing another deal (just under 10,000 pieces of new primed 22 Nosler brass) and seller asked me if knew anyone who used 6.8 brass. Told him i was interested, turned out to be from the RMR XM68GD pull down lot, was primed and still in the original sealed bags. He said he had planned to build a 22 Nosler and a 6.8 so began hoarding components but before getting to the rifles changed his mind building a 6.5 Grendel and 224 Valkarie.

Turned out he had 6,500 6.8 cases and same number of 90 grain Gold dot pulls. I have traded with him over at castboolits on other stuff and this was from his personal stash not his "for profit" inventory and said if took all the 6.8 and 22 Nosler cases would sell for exact price he paid. Turns out he bought the 6.8 stuff early when still cheap and the 22 Nosler was Nosler packaged cosmetic blems.he purchased at deal at the bottom of market. since had that many cases come in all with primers so not even hurting my primer hoard to load am about finished with my second 6.8 build of 2021 and start my second 22 Nosler build. Against my better judgment pulled out one of my last three big jugs of H322 plus a few singles and rolled up 2,000 rounds so each rifle had their 1,000 round minimum.

Before start the next 22 Nosler build need to roll up 2,000 rounds and decided to use some Sierra 69 grain Game kings have been hoarding so long boxes have begun fading. Also figured out had enough of the 62 grain M855A1 pulls that began selling for $3 per projectile before the panic to load 1,000 more 22 Noslers with them as they shoot great out of the Noslers. Everyone seems to agree that M855A1 outperforms M855 Green Tip by leaps and bounds but when loaded in a 22 Nosler case adding 300 fps it becomes a serious Poodle Shooter round and I have tested it in ballistic gel out to 500 yards and it performs at 500 yards even if place a piece of 3/4" plywood as simulated barrier in front of gelatin block then 5.56 M855 Green tip does at 100 yards. Have built three Mk12 clones in 6.8 and two in 22 Nosler and this next one is going to be another Mk 12 clone.

The Mk 12 Mod 0, 1 and H clones are all the rage over at BARFdotcom but those guys just have no idea how much more @$$ a Mk 12 in 6.8 or 222 Nosler has over a 5.56 Mk 12 as have three perfect 5.56 Mk 12 clones. If had to go out the door into a fight it would be a hard decision if i went with the 6.8 or 22 Nosler Mk 12 clones. If not for one thing it would be an easy choice to grab the 6.8 because I like 100 grain Accubonds for general purpose get it all done light fighter round. The issue is since Uncle sugar never properly adopted teh 6.8 there are no military specialty projectile choices except for a few hundred of the old Barnes copper solids that BATFE made them quit making as were pure hole drillers and said they would classify them as armor piercing and why ALL Barnes bullets are now designed to expand.

That said 22 Nosler loaded with M855A1 projectiles will punch NIJ 4 armor and the back end still do as designed and expand for stopping power. I have fair number of XM779 pulled projectiles from when the Army abandoned one of the best projects making a 68 grain round, to me 69 grains is the perfect 5.56 projectile in weight and length for high BC with high initial and retained velocity. I do have 100 loaded rounds of the original 5.56 XM287 original version in my collection. Have loaded M995 and enough M995 pulls was able to work up a load and put together 250 rounds of 22 Nosler M995 without hurting my projectile inventory.

Have Mk 262 loaded 5.56 and projectiles along with Mk 318 loaded ammo and projectiles. thus I have a large inventory of M855, fair amount of M855A1, M995, Mk 262, Mk 318 Mod 0 and more specialty 5.56 projectiles from other countries military's have managed to put together a fairly good inventory supercharged 5.56 military specialty rounds in 22 Nosler that work great in my Mk 12 Nosler clones. Imagine having the full selection of U.S.military 5.56 ammo that is 100% reliable, well proven in battle for is caliber but can for easy math add 300 fps to each round.

With 22 Nosler i can actually run the 77 grain "Razor Core' at a velocity I feel confident to have enough retained velocity at range to still dig a hole. Add 300 fps to M995 armor piercing ammo along with M855 and M855A1. In the special ops preferred Mk 12 clones (one with binary trigger and next will get binary) or slap the upper on a 5,56 select fire lower. Projectile selection is why i would go out the door with a 22 Nosler Mk 12 if not a medium battle rifle wishing the military/Trump had kept General Mattis around half the M4s in inventory would already have 6.8 conversion and we would have at lest a couple specialty projectiles such as M855A1 in 6.8 along with a full armor piercing 6.8 projectile and I.R. low visibility tracer 6.8 projectiles popping up in the pull market to play with.

While I have never broken a 6.8 bolt I have broken several 6.5s and a few 5.56 bolts so worry someday under hevy use may find their limit and since I liked the LMTs so much, could buy the Palmetto milspec carriers, swap tin the LMTs and put the Palmetto bolts in every 6.8 pistol grip so always have a spare. All of my precision 6.8s, Mk 12 clones, binary 6.8s and others built with high duty cycle in mind have Colt bolt carriers and JP Enhanced High Pressure bolts in the uppers. Many were sent to whoever spun the barrels to headspace bolt to barrel. if ordering a custom tube from White Oak, Compass Lake or other premium vendor why not have them fit a good bolt to their barrel.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just got my LMT enhanced, it's the 6.8 version of the best possible 5.56 bolt out there.
I have seen the lmt 6.8 bolt before but I didn’t really consider it due to the price. I know their 5.56 enhanced bolts are supposed to be the best. The lwrci bolt is the same design as the lmt, probably copied or borrowed from lmt. I would incline more to the lwrci due to the price and their support of the 6.8 spc.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have seen the lmt 6.8 bolt before but I didn’t really consider it due to the price. I know their 5.56 enhanced bolts are supposed to be the best. The lwrci bolt is the same design as the lmt, probably copied or borrowed from lmt. I would incline more to the lwrci due to the price and their support of the 6.8 spc.
Yeah they are quite pricey for just a bolt, I do love my 5.56 version so far.

·
Registered
986 Posts
I had problems with LMT 6.8 extractors many years ago and stopped using them. LWRC makes a great bolt, they're the best 6.8 bolt currently on the market in my opinion. JP got into 6.8 bolts because of 224 Valkyrie but got out of the 224 and so aren't as keen to make 6.8 bolts anymore. Honestly Stag makes a fine 6.8 bolt. Out of many many thousands I think I only ever got one back due to a defect.

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
These have been on my radar for a while. I may have to snag one.
I’ve had the LWRC bolt in my Bison build for a while, and it’s been excellent. Bought two of them a few years ago when Brownells had them cheap.

·
Premium Member
1,236 Posts
Don't get me wrong, the ARP Super Bolt is my "go to", when in stock obviously.
But this LWRC I just got and loaded into a new BCG, it snapped in tight with those rings hugging. I'm pleased.
The parts look sharp and well built indeed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts