6.8 SPC Forums banner
41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
So
If someone was able to get 6.8 bolt guns produced what barrel length would people want? 18, 20, 22?
Also what price range do you think people would be willing to pay?
It would be a limited run the first time, 10 to 20 rifles.
Also is there interest in custom higher end 6.8 bolt guns?
[/QUOTEI may have forgot to say this…… please count me in on a couple bolt action 6.8 spc’s. I’d like a 16” or 18” barrel threaded. I’m sure everything else will be fine based on all the comments I’m reading! I do love me some 6.8 spc’s in just about every platform!!!!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
If someone was able to get 6.8 bolt guns produced what barrel length would people want? 18, 20, 22?
16-18 barrel. $400-800 range.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I recently bought a 6.8 SPC bolt head made by PTG for Savage rifle bolts in anticipation of building a bolt gun chambered in 6.8 SPC or 224 Valkyrie. My plan was to use a Savage Axis Action in Oryx chassis with the possibility of using a carbon fiber barrel to keep the weight down. The advantage of going this route is the fact that the MDT polymer mags used in the Oryx small action chassis allow a COL 2.55”.

Another consideration, though more costly, would be to have Uintah Precision build one of their bolt action ARs into a 6.8 SPC. They already manufacture them chambered in 224 Valkyrie so it would only be a matter of putting a 6.8 SPC barrel on the action.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I'm a fan of the 6.8SPC, but I have to admit, I'm surprised to see this much enthusiasm for bolt guns chambered in the caliber. The round was designed to squeeze out performance within the constraints of the AR platform, and those constraints don't exist in a bolt gun. So, bullet wise, 6.8/.270 splits the diff between 6.5/.260 and 7mm/.284, and I get that the desire to stick with a short action (vs. a .270 Win) and agree that the 6.8 SPC is a very efficient little cartridge, but what's driving you fellas to not just run something like a .260 Remington or 7mm-08, both of which are also fantastic rounds? Is it because you don't have those calibers but already load for 6.8? Or is it just that you need to buy a new gun every month or so and you already have everything else!

It seems if you really want some advantage over a standard "short action" cartridge (like .260R or 7-08), taking advantage of compactness of the 6.8 SPC, you'd want to convince Howa to chamber their mini-action in the cartridge. I think the hurdle there is they don't have a bolt face.

Are the .224V bolts available from Savage? If so, it seems like that would make this a pretty simple exercise for most barrel spinners.

·
Super Moderator
12,613 Posts
I'm a fan of the 6.8SPC, but I have to admit, I'm surprised to see this much enthusiasm for bolt guns chambered in the caliber. The round was designed to squeeze out performance within the constraints of the AR platform, and those constraints don't exist in a bolt gun. So, bullet wise, 6.8/.270 splits the diff between 6.5/.260 and 7mm/.284, and I get that the desire to stick with a short action (vs. a .270 Win) and agree that the 6.8 SPC is a very efficient little cartridge, but what's driving you fellas to not just run something like a .260 Remington or 7mm-08, both of which are also fantastic rounds? Is it because you don't have those calibers but already load for 6.8? Or is it just that you need to buy a new gun every month or so and you already have everything else!

It seems if you really want some advantage over a standard "short action" cartridge (like .260R or 7-08), taking advantage of compactness of the 6.8 SPC, you'd want to convince Howa to chamber their mini-action in the cartridge. I think the hurdle there is they don't have a bolt face.

Are the .224V bolts available from Savage? If so, it seems like that would make this a pretty simple exercise for most barrel spinners.
For me it is recoil. I have pretty messed up shoulders and while I can shoot .260, 7-08, .243 etc it is not as fun as it used to be. Especially not in an ultralite rifle. If my Ruger Hawkeye Compact had a little longer length of pull I would not have sold it but there was no good way to change the stock and I didn't want to mess up what could be a collectible or at least a highly sought after rifle.

Reactions: Yamaraja

·
Registered
7 Posts
Personally I would go with 22" in a bolt gun. If I'm using a bolt gun I want to take advantage of all possible velocity for hunting. I would be comfortable paying $759-$1000 for a decent rifle.

·
Registered
380 Posts
but what's driving you fellas to not just run something like a .260 Remington or 7mm-08, both of which are also fantastic rounds?
The 7-08 is great, almost went that way a few times, but we have a bunch of 308s already. 260 was a sweet thing but the Creedwhore is too. The PRCs I hate to say are pretty damn impressive for factory rounds. I think the 6.8 Western and the Fury will be too.

To me the advantage of a 6.8spc bolt rifle is that it can be a light and effective general purpose rifle in a handy short barreled setup that doesn't kick your ass, or eat up barrel life if you spend an afternoon killing paper and banging steel. It's miserly with powder has long-lived barrels, low recoil, and it kills shit real good. In fact better than what most folks think it's capable of.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
The 7-08 is great, almost went that way a few times, but we have a bunch of 308s already. 260 was a sweet thing but the Creedwhore is too. The PRCs I hate to say are pretty damn impressive for factory rounds. I think the 6.8 Western and the Fury will be too.

To me the advantage of a 6.8spc bolt rifle is that it can be a light and effective general purpose rifle in a handy short barreled setup that doesn't kick your ass, or eat up barrel life if you spend an afternoon killing paper and banging steel. It's miserly with powder has long-lived barrels, low recoil, and it kills shit real good. In fact better than what most folks think it's capable of.
Well, when you put it that way, maybe I want one, too, after all! It's the "miserly with powder" that is resonating with me. Why fill up a case with 40 grains of hard-to-find powder when 30-ish grains of powder that is much easier to find will do? That makes brass the biggest issue. If Howa made their mini in 6.8 I'd really consider it but their current caliber choices in that action are pretty poor, IMO.

Back to the OP, then, given the cartridge, I'm in the crowd that would want to see a relatively short (18" max) and threaded barrel and be on the lower end of cost ($400-$600) to be tempted. Basically something like the Ruger American Ranch.

Edits / Ads:
Regarding recoil, this is largely why I really like the 6.5x55 and .260 and you can always load bunny fart rounds, but I get it.
And, to the OP, I'm in the "not very likely to buy, but could be tempted" category.

·
Registered
748 Posts

I felt the same way and couldn’t understand the enthusiasm for a 6.8 bolt gun either. Then I built one with an ARP barrel on a Savage Prairie hunter. Let me tell you, it is the most pleasant to shoot, lightweight, easy handling, accurate and quiet (suppressed) rifle I’ve ever handled. It has virtually no recoil, uses minimal powder as already described and is just plain fun to shoot from 50 to 400 yards. Everyone I show it to asks how they can get one.
My only wish was that it was 16” (or even 14” SBR) to save some weight and length. But it seems most people prefer the 18-20” when considering a bolt gun.

·
Super Moderator
5,767 Posts
I felt the same way and couldn’t understand the enthusiasm for a 6.8 bolt gun either. Then I built one with an ARP barrel on a Savage Prairie hunter. Let me tell you, it is the most pleasant to shoot, lightweight, easy handling, accurate and quiet (suppressed) rifle I’ve ever handled. It has virtually no recoil, uses minimal powder as already described and is just plain fun to shoot from 50 to 400 yards. Everyone I show it to asks how they can get one.
My only wish was that it was 16” (or even 14” SBR) to save some weight and length. But it seems most people prefer the 18-20” when considering a bolt gun.
I have to concur! My 110 Prairie Hunter with 18” ARP 6.8 has zero noticeable recoil and super quiet. When I sighted in before deer season, several guys at the range thought I was shooting subsonic ammo.

Don’t get me wrong I like my AR’s especially my SBR’s and like deer hunting with those. Let’s face it, some people will never hunt with an AR platform rifle.

I attended a machine gun shoot/jungle walk yesterday. I took my SOT buddy 2, 10.5” ARP’s I picked up for him. He informed me, he’d take 2 more savage barrels if H would make more and another buddy chimed in and said: yea I’m still mad at y’all for not getting me one of those barrels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
336 Posts
I agree with the Savage 6.8. What a phenomenal rifle. My only wish was that I would’ve been able to get my hands on a prairie hunter instead of the tactical. But like what was already said, it’s light, minimal recoil, and super accurate. What more can you ask for?

·
Registered
38 Posts
16-18 in barrel would be great. Think bigger picture with mid priced bolt gun, would be a perfect youth to adult gun with an adjustable stock like Savage produces. It would be a one gun fits all. No need to buy your kid or wife a 243 to start then up grade as they get bigger or more confident. Put guns on the shelf ammo companies will follow.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Remington 700 or Ruger American Ranch in 6.8 SPC. Either of these seem to be the easiest, with the RAR I could atleast feel better about spending 30 bucks on another 5 round mag. Any length of barrel, im not buying some bolt action AR though. I can just turn my gas piston off ans manually cycle my LWRCi action.

$750 max price, but only doing 1000 may not allow for that.

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
If you turn the gas off on your AR you will likely find you can not extract your round.

Reactions: Waterloo Kid
41 - 60 of 63 Posts