6.8 SPC Forums banner
21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Count me in for at least one.

I would prefer 20+” (carries better on a bolt gun). No comp/threads, left-handed, wood stocks.

Started building a couple on Savage actions, one on a right-hand axxis and a left-hand 10 AICS, but major life got in the way.

I’d would get a complete bolt action 6.8 SPC rifle in right-hand today for the wifey if the price was $700-ish.

Reactions: simpl11

·
Vendor
2,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·

·
Super Moderator
12,613 Posts
I don't know why they disco'd the prairie hunter...

View attachment 76290
To my knowledge they are not discontinued, just not being produced at the moment (like a lot of things) because 6.5CM is the big seller and money talks. They are still listed on distributor's sites, just not in stock .

·
Registered
616 Posts
I’m not knocking anybody’s choice for a shorter barrel but isn’t it is a lot less expensive and easier to cut down a barrel than it is to make them longer?

·
Vendor
2,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 · (Edited)
I’m not knocking anybody’s choice for a shorter barrel but isn’t it is a lot less expensive and easier to cut down a barrel than it is to make them longer?
If its a stainless barrel any competent gunsmith can cut down, crown and rethread pretty easily. Only melonited would get in the way of that.
I think 20 inch is a good option because in a bolt gun loading long is much easier to do than and AR15. In this case I mean loading past 2.3 COAL
A bolt gun that allowed loading to 2.32 would open up better performance with 130 grain bullets as well as a wider range of 130 grain bullets.
This would be a benefit for reloaders of course not the masses.
The 20 inch would have the edge over an 18 inch in this situation. Just my opinion.

·
Vendor
2,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I would go for an 18" or 20" barrel. I would need to find a left hand action first, as I refuse to adapt to right hand bolt rifles any longer. I am left eye dominant.
I have been also working on an option for a custom 6.8 bolt gun with my gunsmith.
He does all my bolt gun work.
This is my new old stock Interarms Mark X 375 H&H he just finished. That's Cape Buffalo horn in the grip cap. Richards Stocks exhibition grade walnut
Air gun Trigger Wood Shotgun Gun barrel

Hand Revolver Air gun Sleeve Finger

Sleeve Air gun Wood Wrist Thumb

Green Air gun Musical instrument Sleeve Trigger

Wood Kitchen utensil Material property Household hardware Cutlery

Wood Natural material Tool Handle Household hardware

·
Registered
616 Posts
I would go for an 18" or 20" barrel. I would need to find a left hand action first, as I refuse to adapt to right hand bolt rifles any longer. I am left eye dominant.
Amen brother! I will no longer settle for right-handed rifles or pistols. Its just a click of a button in a CAD program to machine something in this day and age.

I would get a right handed bolt action 6.8 for my wife because she is in need of a medium sized game rifle. I’d likely get a couple more if they were available in left-hand.

Reactions: Rick F

·
Registered
616 Posts
I have been also working on an option for a custom 6.8 bolt gun with my gunsmith.
He does all my bolt gun work.
This is my new old stock Interarms Mark X 375 H&H he just finished. That's Cape Buffalo horn in the grip cap. Richards Stocks exhibition grade walnut
View attachment 76298
View attachment 76297

View attachment 76294
View attachment 76293
View attachment 76303
View attachment 76304
Beautiful.

Now that I am moving to the High Country, anybody know a competent gunsmith within an hours drive of Show Low, AZ?

·
Registered
16 Posts
If someone was able to get 6.8 bolt guns produced what barrel length would people want? 18, 20, 22?
Also what price range do you think people would be willing to pay?
It would be a limited run the first time, 10 to 20 rifles.
Also is there interest in custom higher end 6.8 bolt guns?
I would JUMP all over the opportunity to own several more bolt action 6.8 spc’s. I have a custom remmy 700 with a shilen 1/10 6.8 spc11 barrel cut and threaded at 18”. I have a Greyboe outlander stock that’s bedded. The rifle shoots the 120gr ssts well and the 105gr cavity back bullets just as good. 3/4” five shot group. I try to buy remmy 700 factory 6.8 spc’s when I see them come up on GB. Same
said for the Ruger Hawkeyes in 6.8 spc. I buy those when I see them come up on GB. The picture I’m putting in this post shows my 6.8 spc bolt actions…….. my gun builder charges me around 2000.00 to blue print the action, order the blank, cut the chamber, bed the stock, and cerekote everything. I’d gladly pay that for a “ factory “ 6.8 spc bolt action that was as close to what I wanted when I bought it!
Audio equipment Wood Gas Building Electronic instrument

21 - 40 of 63 Posts