6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently read a thread on a popular ar15 forum about how this 6.8 forum is dead. A lot of responses were that the 6.8 spc can’t compete with the 6.5 Grendel and it is fading away. The 6.8 ammo in my area is sold out. Not that there is much usually stocked anyway but a decent selection before this year’s panic. I have seen 200 round bulk plastic cases of Grendel at one store and a good selection of various 20 round boxes gathering dust everywhere I shop. Could just be it’s not popular here or the people that do shoot it roll their own. I find it laughable that people make blanket statements like that because of their opinion. The 6.8 isn’t going anywhere from where I sit. I have just finished my 6.8 build recently, just have to get the scope dialed in. No experience with the performance of the cartridge yet but everything I have learned on this forum tells me it will do what’s asked of it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I’ve had my 6.8 since 2010. I love the cartridge, with my old PRI barrel I’d get 3/4” groups if I’m doing my part. Swapped to an ARP barrel but haven’t been able to get it quite there yet-2” but that might also be the factory loads and the issues I had with gassing. I believe I have that fixed now so we’ll see. Plan on dropping a decent size muley here in central AZ next fall- forgot to put in for tag this year.

I never fired a Grendel and not even interested, I did plenty of research before buying the 6.8. Never looked back or regretted it. Enjoy!!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Pretty much same for me as JW. I've built tons of rifles and been on the search for that one that does everything. My 12.5 ARP does it. Its capable of any distance for hunting in my two states, light weight, and compact. Only reason I ever contemplated the Grendel was the wolf ammo that was available and if I ever was going to do long distance paper punching ill go for 224 valk. I don't think anyone will go wrong with choosing the Grendel over the 6.8 but all the banter that is between the two loads is over exaggerated IMO.

In my area there has never been much 6.8 on the shelf either though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've been enjoying 10mm since the time when others said it was dead, ammo was hard to find, you had few options but to reload and now look at it. As for the 6.8 I bought my first upper for a hog hunt and didn't really think I would use it much after that. Well after that hunt and some more research I bought 2 more barrels and now it's my primary go to for everything from self defense, to varmints and deer. As for "dying" who knows and only time will tell, but in my case I've changed to something else several times and every time end up back with the 68.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I have shot the grendel (friends gun)and the 6.8 and for any practical hunting distance the 6.8 will hold its own very well. The grendel gives you a little more range if you are punching paper. I'm shooting lupint2t's 16" ARP and can't ask for better groups. Under 2" at 250 yds. The 6.8 spc is the best do it all ar15 round on the market.

·
Registered
594 Posts
All depends on what your using it for. I have no desire for a grendel. 6.8 for general purpose gun. If I wanted a long distance paper puncher Id probably do .224 Valkyrie. Seems like everytime a 6.8 gets mentioned someone from the Grendal club shows up to talk about their superior round that needs a long ass barrel with a weak bolt.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I build at least one AR 15 per month on average and of late have been building one a week. Been doing so for years building at least two rifles in most popular cartridges and one of most wildcats that seem to have a niche with good reports from its early users. I built a pair of 300 Whispers and then due to trademark issues the 300 B.O. was developed with just enough change to sidestep the trademark issues. With so many people jumping on the 300 BO bandwagon when it was new then taking their new magic rifles to the range with buddies who had 5.56 rifles and shooting 300 BO ammo made from modified 5.56 cases the range masters told me they were having at least two KaBooms per day on weekends as people got magazines confused and at least one on most busy weekdays.

I pulled the barrels from my Whispers, sold them then used the money to buy other barrels to combine with those parts and tried something else. When 6.5 Grendel came along I built two and broke at least two bolts in each as worked up chart topping loads to,get full potential out of the round. Finally put JP High Pressure Bolts in my 6.5s and the quit breaking bolts but honestly worried even the JPs would eventually break and possibly at the worst possible momen plus had discovered after a couple thousand rounds they really showed zero effective real world advantage over my 6.8s. The 6.5 barrels and bolts were pulled, sold to some fan boy and I was done with them.

I even tried the 6.8×6.5 spc which out performs both but there is such low availability of parts and factory ammo that one of my two test rifles was pulled apart but did keep the other and ammo had built up and it sits in the back of one of my vaults. To date I have built AR 15s in over 15 cartridges not counting the non milspec uppers for lobbing rounds like 243 WSSM and 300 OSSM of which I kept my two factory Olympic 300 OSSMs afterrebuilding them to get proper parts fit and do required upgrades along with the Olympic 243 WSSM upper which all sit in the back of a vault somewhere.

In addition to at least 15 different 15 AR 15 cartridges have built AR 10s in six different cartridges and about to try number seven. Of all the AR cartridges have tried every 204 caliber is gone. Now have over two dozen 5.56 builds, over two dozen 6.8 spc II builds (have both in Mini 14s as well), six 22 Noslers (two are Mk 12 Mod 0 & H clones for long range tactical rifles and other four are varmint rifles) and four 458 SOCOMS which run subsonic ammo 85% of the time. Of the different wildcats have tried have one TAC 6, one 6.8×6.5 spc and one 270 AR that survived for special circumstances plus I just liked them. Have abandoned more cartridges than most people will ever shoot.

If it were not for availability of surplus ammo, price of components to reload (6.8 eats 30% more powder and projectiles cost more than 5.56) would be tempted to convert anot her dozen of my 5.56 rifles to 6.8 but for me 5.56 is like rimfire, cheap training cartridge and great varmint cartridge. It would be easier to keep ammo and component inventory topped off with less cartridges but just can't abandon the 5.56 as its the standard cartridge for the AR rifle. That and my 24" heavy barrel varmint rifles in 5.56 are pure joy over an active prairie dog field. Am currently looking at a couple new AR cartridges to try but the new armchair warrior 6mm ARC which people are flocking to for now because USSOCOM ordered a few won't be one for the same issue as 6.5. Have gotten more picky on how I choose which new cartridges to try based on past experience based on all the others.

Give me a 6.5 and pile of ammo and it will be sold inside of a week as won't do anything my 6.8s do and they never lay down on me no matter how hard I push them. Would like to see several people put binary triggers in their 6.5s or swap their lowers onto a select fire lower and see how long they will run in high duty cycle environment.

From the engineers at JP concerning 6.5 Grendel. As mentioned built two and broke at least five bolts before abandoned them (I test every round to top of charts slowly working up and could not reach the top of some published data without breaking anything but a JP Bolt but to date have never broken a 6.8 bolt even the $79 Palmetto complete 6.8 Bolt Carrier Group). Give me a 6.5 today and by end of the week the barrel and bolt will be for sale on some forum.

6.5 Grendel® Safety Notice 2010-01-28

PDF - 6.5 Grendel® Safety Notice

Because it is an extremely high-performance cartridge, the 6.5 Grendel stretches the performance limitations of the AR-15 platform. As it is also relatively new on the market, ammunition manufacturers may not have adequate data or rifle samples in their test libraries to make accurate determinations of what constitutes a safe load in all rifles chambered for this cartridge. Do not assume that ammunition is safe in your 6.5 Grendel® rifle just because it comes in a factory box. If you see indications of case expansion in front of the head, extrusion into the ejector pin hole or extrusion into the firing pin hole, this ammunition should be considered unacceptable in your rifle. Stop shooting this ammunition immediately. As a safe and reliable ammo option, we recommend the Alexander Arms or Hornady factory ammo.

If you reload for the 6.5 Grendel®, we offer several suggestions. First, buy only Lapua or Hornady 6.5 Grendel cases, as they have superior metallurgy and will more safely tolerate the chamber pressures associated with this cartridge. Do not try to fabricate your own cases out of another parent case; it is not worth the trouble and is not safe. Second, we recommend loading on a single station press or a press that allows you to feel the primer seating tension. This does not require sophisticated equipment and is a very important indicator of the case's condition. Still, most progressive presses tend to isolate the loader from the feel of the primer seating into the case. Lee Precision, Inc. offers a fine hand primer that provides excellent response for the priming operation.

Once you've begun reloading ammunition, never start at the top of any load data tables. Work towards a load that delivers the best accuracy, not necessarily the peak velocity. Typically, peak accuracy is obtained 5-10% below peak velocity with any bullet/powder combination. When developing a load, pay close attention to case head expansion and primer retention. If the primer seating force declines obviously, you're past the acceptable pressure limitations for that combination, and you should reduce the load or change powders. Finally, watch for flattened primers, cratered primers and especially extrusion of the case head into the ejector pin hole in your reloads; these are all indications of unacceptable pressure. You should be able to reload the Lapua cases at least eight to ten times if your pressures are within acceptable limitations. Discard the cases once they show any indications of over-pressured loads.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
The "Fad Crowd" is hot on the 6.5 Grendel. Maybe cause it has a cool name. The ballistics differences to 300 yards is negligible for hunting or defense applications. For whatever reason, 6.5 Grendel IS "The Current Fad".
Myself, often stated here, I dun follow the Sheeple. The 10 mm was considered dead and dun after Colts Delta Elites frame started cracking. Add on the FBI dumping it, thanks to SnWs huge framed 10 mm, and it's easy to understand why it was beat down. However, once I finally got a 10mm, I found it to be the ideal deer, hog n defense application.
Finally after almost 20 years, the shooting community has "discovered" the 10 mm. Once only one manufacturer was still producing 10 mm pistols. NOW........everybody and their dog has 10 mm models. Semi-auto's, and revolvers abound.
I stick with what works in REAL LIFE........the 10mm and 6.8 are my hunting/defense REAL LIFE GUNS.

NOW, when H gets the long awaited shipment of 12.5" 6.8spc barrels.......I will be better able to keep the radical nuts from my door. I want one of his pretty 12.5" barrels.....sooooo badly....🤠

·
Registered
594 Posts
The "Fad Crowd" is hot on the 6.5 Grendel. Maybe cause it has a cool name. The ballistics differences to 300 yards is negligible for hunting or defense applications. For whatever reason, 6.5 Grendel IS "The Current Fad".
Myself, often stated here, I dun follow the Sheeple. The 10 mm was considered dead and dun after Colts Delta Elites frame started cracking. Add on the FBI dumping it, thanks to SnWs huge framed 10 mm, and it's easy to understand why it was beat down. However, once I finally got a 10mm, I found it to be the ideal deer, hog n defense application.
Finally after almost 20 years, the shooting community has "discovered" the 10 mm. Once only one manufacturer was still producing 10 mm pistols. NOW........everybody and their dog has 10 mm models. Semi-auto's, and revolvers abound.
I stick with what works in REAL LIFE........the 10mm and 6.8 are my hunting/defense REAL LIFE GUNS.

NOW, when H gets the long awaited shipment of 12.5" 6.8spc barrels.......I will be better able to keep the radical nuts from my door. I want one of his pretty 12.5" barrels.....sooooo badly....🤠
Waiting on all the craziness to die down myself. Mostly focusing on getting some basics at my property ready in case it doesn't. Got water from the community well.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
current panic buying will slow after the election. I am also waiting till prices get normal and rational.

·
Registered
13,928 Posts
It's the same Grendel guys that make those posts over and over. I can't produce barrels fast enough to keep them in stock. The Grendel forum has never had as much traffic as this one but it is slow here, there isn't much new going on to talk about.

Druid Hills Armory could help things with higher performance(faster) ammo. If Cavity Back bullets and Druid Hills team up we may get true premium ammo.

·
Registered
589 Posts
(Trim)

Saturday was a total washout to point didn't even want to shoot rifles from covered shooting line at steel targets as we were getting the remains of the most recent hurricane passing. Have 60 foot indoor shooting range at work so ran a couple hundred rounds of 45 from my single stack 1911s, about 100 rounds of 40 Smith and about the same of 10mm. Was shooting a 10mm purchased so long ago could not say what decade for sure without thumbing through my book.

Finished a 13.7" Noveske 6.8 build and started an 18" Noveske build which will be another loose 6.8 clone of the Mk 12 Mod 0. As digging through the locker I found an ARP 12.5" 3R, 10" ARP 6.8 barrel, three 16" ARP 6.8s and a 20" ARP 22 Nosler that I remember handling for sure. Also handled one of the Bison 18" heavy varmint profile rubes in 6.8 with 11° target crown. Built one of each of these already and these are my extras to pair with first builds on same barrels. Didn't even handle half the barrels have in inventory from one of two shelves piled with barrels. Luckily have plenty of lowers, uppers, forearms and small parts squirreled away. Bet I have over 100 triggers.

Easier to buy when see it cheap or find a distressed seller and put it back so always have something to pile with. Today took the Noveske 13.7" with Flaming Pig flash can pinned to 16" with Franklin Binary trigger. Had run a few rounds in back yard of house but can't go totally crazy without a suppressor and bothering the neighbors. Ran it in single fire mode to finish dialing in the optic and cowitness backup sights then grabbed two full 25 round mags and went crazy full speed in binary mode. Owner of property was shooting said it sounded like a 50 BMG off in the distance from when he was in Vietnam. The short 6.8 with flash can is LOUD if on the downrange end of it.

Reactions: UpNorthSavage

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Depending on which way the election goes. If Biden wins it will get worse. If any of the gun cases in California stand it will ger worse.
I think this is where we are at. A panic run on magazines would be next. That reminds me I need a few more 6.8 mags.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's the same Grendel guys that make those posts over and over. I can't produce barrels fast enough to keep them in stock. The Grendel forum has never had as much traffic as this one but it is slow here, there isn't much new going on to talk about.

Druid Hills Armory could help things with higher performance(faster) ammo. If Cavity Back bullets and Druid Hills team up we may get true premium ammo.
Seems like the .300 blk and Grendel crowd go hand in hand.
I have been following the Druid hill ammo reports. Looks promising. I missed the boat, all 6.8 is sold out now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
After the very disappointing terminal performance of my formerly owned 6.5 Creedmoor with the Hornady 143eldx, the Grendel is not something I would even consider. I have several 6.8s in multiple platforms and the terminal performance with a 100 grain GMX has been beyond impressive. Good medicine for Texas hogs and deer!

·
Registered
4 Posts

I agree. A friend of mine ordered some ammo from Druid Hill. He recently just built an upper based on an arp 18inch 3r10. W/ superbolt. I also sent him 100rd of new brass loaded with h322 and 90gr gold dots. The druid hill ammo did not generate enough inertia to strip another round out of the magazine. But my handloads worked fine. His lower is a colt m4.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I, too, did a lot of research before building my 6.8. I have friends & family who have a lot of other rifles. I work part time for a place that trains people on 5.56 & 7.62. There’s a lot of good rifles out there, but none of them seem to stack up against the 6.8 in practicality of a one-size-fits-almost-all kind of manner. I built my rifle in ‘12 and have never been happier. I am punching paper with my self made rounds at between 3 to 6 inch groups @ 300 yards, depending on the load or day. I’m not a pro shooter, but using a 1-8x scope, I’m pretty happy with those results. Been hunting a couple times but have not yet successfully hunted down any hogs. Yet I’m confident the round will do its job.

And thank you guys for helping me with my build.

I don’t know if 6.5 Grendel will go away, but I do believe that, like most fads, these bright & shiny new calibers, with all their hyped glory will fade in popularity as soon as the next bright & shiny “even cooler” cartridge hits the market. I’ll just sit back and let that wheel go round and round.

Reactions: Kfritz
1 - 19 of 19 Posts