6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Turns out that about the time I found the sweet spot for a 140 AMax in my Creedmoor, Hornady went and discontinued it for the ELD bullet. Looks similar, hoping it loads the same. Need to find more H4350 powder too now that it has gone wild goose too.

·
Registered
4,582 Posts
Surprised to see how much longer the ogive is on the ELD. Manufactures usually don't discontinue a bullet. They may stop producing it to manage production. Has the Amax really gone forever.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
That is disappointing dang. Just when I bought a 6.5 barrel.

·
Premium Member
10,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Surprised to see how much longer the ogive is on the ELD. Manufactures usually don't discontinue a bullet. They may stop producing it to manage production. Has the Amax really gone forever.
Cant find them anywhere, Midway lists it as discontinued, and word on other forums is they are done. One forum listed the response from Hornady confirming the ELD is the replacement. If the hype around the ELD release had truth about melting tips screwing with LD ballistics, this was an admission that the AMax was defective and needed replaced. Maybe not all the AMax diameters but this fits their criteria of high BC bullets at distance.

·
Premium Member
10,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That is disappointing dang. Just when I bought a 6.5 barrel.
Shouldn't be a problem for you starting from scratch anyway. The ELD line looks good and there is still Sierra, Berger, Nosler,...

·
Premium Member
10,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is my AMax baseline. 4 rounds, 300 yards, prone with bipod front and bag rear.

·
Registered
4,582 Posts
With a grouping like that, I'd search the World and buy every last Amax you can find.

BTW, all Hornady has to do is replace the Amax tip with their new material and continuing producing Amax.

·
Registered
293 Posts
BTW, all Hornady has to do is replace the Amax tip with their new material and continuing producing Amax.
Thats probably what they did and just renamed it.....if so and if it eliminates the problem, it just might be a better bullet.

OP, Let us know how your testing goes.

·
Registered
316 Posts
With a grouping like that, I'd search the World and buy every last Amax you can find.

That's all the ELD is, according to Hornady. I'm not sure what the fuss is about; it's supposed to be pretty much the same bullet with a better tip. I hate to see a good product change as much as the next guy, but I'm not sure much actually changed here.

The ELD-X, on the other hand, is definitely different. I think that one is 142gr in this caliber though, IIRC?

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
FWIW, my new 6.5 Creedmoor shoots all 3 Hornady bullets VERY well.
Amax, ELD and ELDX

My preference is going to be the ELDX, it has slightly higher BC than the ELD and I can do anything I want with the ELDX

·
Registered
6,732 Posts
Turns out that about the time I found the sweet spot for a 140 AMax in my Creedmoor, Hornady went and discontinued it for the ELD bullet. Looks similar, hoping it loads the same. Need to find more H4350 powder too now that it has gone wild goose too.
Originally I thought Hornady stated that the ELD-M was going to just replace the tip on the A-max and rename them --- the ELD-X was supposed to be an all new bullet with new ogive and jacket, but the eld-m was supposed to be the same a-max with the new tip design...but looking at their website, Hornady does not show a 140 a-max anymore, just the 140 eld-M bullet--- so it looks like the rumors are true that some of the a-maxes are now gone.

Hornady did state that the new ogive of the eld-x was supposed to be more forgiving of JTL than the a-max's were----In my eld-x load I created for my 308w, I used someone elses COAL for the a-max as a starting point and it has been very accurate so you may be able to directly use your a-max data for the new eld-m bullet

just have to try it to see

1 - 13 of 13 Posts