6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have been reading the thread on the ar15 forum, but what do you guys think of the two, and why would you pick one over the other?

·
Registered
0 Posts
If i did buy one it would be the Socom...
with the 300Gr/1,900 feet per second and develop 2,405 foot pounds of energy... Oh Yeah! that should splat something.....
its basically a 150yrd rifle...it would drop 6in there...i wouldn't shoot it longer :shock: ,since it was meant to stop something cold Close by- at 0-150
the ammo is expensive!! 4$+RD -- if you dont reload...

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah that is what i have been seeing and reading, the ammo for the 458 is $$$ .50 isn't as bad.

·
Registered
54 Posts
from what i read and or understand,
458 socom
+uses normal gi mags
-ammo costs more
+has more reliable feeding

50 beowolf
-uses special magazine
+cheaper ammo
-feeding is not reliable
-50 cal ban? if so you have to give it up.

i choose the 458, but i reload.

·
Premium Member
1,234 Posts
Only a few of the rounds are $4. Reed's sells a box of 20 for $32 in either 300g or 405g Remington bullets. SBR sells bullets in several configurations for under $50. If you want premium bullets you will pay higher prices. Some of the bullets cost $2 each. The 458 SOCOM is one of my favorite rifles to shoot. 1.5" 5 shot groups at 100 yards when the bullet is almost 1/2" itself is pretty good. Old 45-70's were used a lot further than 150 yards and the SOCOM is almost identical to the older 45-70.

·
Registered
441 Posts
IMO, for any of these rounds you have to reload unless you are crazy rich like Cold. :p :p I still can't see how you get away without reloading. Which gives me a thought. I will gladly take your fired SSA cases off your hands for you so it doesn't fill up your trash can. Only to save you a trip to the dump as a favor really. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
0 Posts
Which gives me a thought. I will gladly take your fired SSA cases off your hands for you so it doesn't fill up your trash can.
For the next raffle one of the prize's would be Cold's SSa 1c fired brass ...LOL :shock:
i only have 1 brass from ssa,which i found ..lol

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
zoli818 said:
Which gives me a thought. I will gladly take your fired SSA cases off your hands for you so it doesn't fill up your trash can.
For the next raffle one of the prize's would be Cold's SSa 1c fired brass ...LOL :shock:
i only have 1 brass from ssa,which i found ..lol

I gave all my 1x brass away to someone already. Sorry guys.

Crazy Rich, surely you jest? If I were I would not be going to grad school that is for sure.

·
Registered
236 Posts
axeltow said:
from what i read and or understand,
458 socom
+uses normal gi mags
-ammo costs more
+has more reliable feeding
This is what I was thinking. Also add that RRA builds a fairly inexpensive upper for low entry cost
(apparently that's my theme).

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for all the information guys. now what about throwing the .450 bushmaster in the mix?

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Aramark said:
thanks for all the information guys. now what about throwing the .450 bushmaster in the mix?

I have one of those too.... between the 458 SOCOM, 50 beo and 450 Bush, the 450 Bush would be my last choice of the three, only one loading offered and very little reloading data, it is a new round though so there may be more on the way, only time will tell. The 458 SOCOM has been around since 01-02 for sure with ammo by at least 4 people, Corbon, SBRammunition (on midway usa too), reedsammo.com and accuswage

I prefer the 458 SOCOM, wide offering of loads plus its under any potential 50 ban.

·
Registered
441 Posts
The .458 has the best and most bullet offerings. The .450 has the very least.

But lets not rehash the SOCOM versus mythical warrior debate again here. Strictly facts and first hand knowledge on this one please.

I think the SOCOM could also be the base for a wicked big bore handgun cartidge. Same case take a bit out of the body to fit in a large semi handgun mag. Glock 20 or any with a 45acp It will be a sort of .357 sig on steroids.

Credit "Boom Stick" on AccurateReloading.com forums

·
Registered
236 Posts
The only advantage I see of the 450BM is that Hornady is loading it. Should be less expensive than CorBon in SOCOM.
But, I don't see it locally on the shelf. I suspect it is not cheap either...

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
remat457 said:
The only advantage I see of the 450BM is that Hornady is loading it. Should be less expensive than CorBon in SOCOM.
But, I don't see it locally on the shelf. I suspect it is not cheap either...

I have found 450 B ammo for 24 bucks per box before shipping at cheeper than dirt, but that was back in march too.

·
Premium Member
1,234 Posts
It is on an AR15 lower.

·
Registered
45 Posts
noobie question: I thought AR15 platforms didnt adapt very well to larger calibers? Wouldnt a heavier duty lower (ie. 308) hold up better?

If this is the case then 458 upper is a possible "upgrade" to a 6.8spc platform?

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Wardog said:
noobie question: I thought AR15 platforms didnt adapt very well to larger calibers? Wouldnt a heavier duty lower (ie. 308) hold up better?

If this is the case then 458 upper is a possible "upgrade" to a 6.8spc platform?

In my opinion the 458 SOCOM and 6.8 comparison is an apples to oranges kind of deal.

The 458 SOCOM has no issues with a AR 15 lower and Marty Ter WeMee of www.teppojutsu.com has done extensive testing on this matter. Plus he is an engineer in a field that blows things up for a living, I will take his word on that the 458 SOCOM will not hurt the AR15 lower.

·
Registered
441 Posts
You are confusing caliber with case size. The AR doesn't adapt well to larger case diameters and can't shoot longer cases. The reason they can go up to the .458 and .50 is the pressure is much lower there by decreasing bolt thrust which allows the relatively weak AR bolt to still handle it well. I personally really like the .458 SOCOM MUCH MUCH better but that only my opinion.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have had the opportunity to test various .50 Beowulfs and .458 SOCOMs.
In many ways they are very similar.

Reliability wise I never had an issue with either.

Accuracy wise, they were very similar in similar quality rifles.
Although they are considered short range guns, due to bullet drop, they
do surprisingly well at distance if you actually know the come-up. At an
industry event (The Big 3) at my range this past weekend I saw former
military members engaging LaRue sniper targets out to 500 yards with a
.50 B. They were doing it just for fun to see if they could. And they did.

Of the two though, I own a .458 SOCOM built by Tromix. It's a great gun, Tony
did a great job on it. It's very accurate, extremely reliable and a hammer.
I like the range of projectiles available in .458, and have a small horde of
400 grain solids left.

I do feel though, that if you plan on shooting one much, reloading is the way to go.
I also wish the .458 SOCOM had a rim rebated to x39.

Now if we could only get Wolf to come out with a steel case load......

1 - 20 of 22 Posts