6.8 SPC Forums banner

5.56 Barrels

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Tedfs 
#1 ·
Since the 6.8SPC was my first AR purchase, I have some questions for those in the know about .223 / 5.56 AR barrels.

I'd like to build another AR with a 5.56 barrel, preferably with a chrome lined chamber and bore.

If I went the CAR length, all I would need is the barrel as it would just require swapping out the unknown 6.8SPC 1:10 barrel in a second upper sitting here and buying a new BCG. Mid length would require new handguards or a FF plus a gas tube and BCG. CAR length requires the least amount of spending but for around $100 more I could get a brand new RRA Mid Length upper with the BCG.

My problem...
I originally ordered a Mid Length RRA upper from a dealer on ARFCom but my bank refused to cash the check from out of state. Had no idea a bank could do that so I'll have to bite the bullet and get a credit card it seems. Trying to swap even up for a 5.56 upper here locally didn't pan out either.

Who sells quality CAR or Mid Length Chrome lined 5.56 barrels and has them in stock ?
Bravo Company has decent prices on BCG so that's covered but I have no clue which manufacturer to get a barrel from.

Any help is appreciated.

See less See more
#2 ·
Actually, you don't have to get a whle new BCG. You just have to get a 5.56 bolt.

If the 6.8SPC barrel you have uses the carbine length gas system (CAR), then it would be cheaper just to get a 5.56 barrel with a CAR system, but the plastic handguards are not that expensive so I would get the 16" Midlength as they are better than th 16" CAR. RRA, CMMG, and BCM are great choices. Contact Rainier Arms and G&R Tactical and see if they can help you out.

#3 ·
I went to a Colt M16 armorer's course a few months ago and the instructor said Bravo Company USA made good parts which is high praise from a Colt instructor. I ordered a front sight base from them for a new project and it was a forged, high quality piece. If I was going to get another 5.56 barrel I would order it from Bravo Co.

#4 ·
If you decide to go midlength and need the barrel nut, plastic f/a, and end cap I've got one I'll sell cheap. Plus a standard flash hider. I took all this off my RRA when I put a YHM fff and phantom on it.

#5 ·
Thanks for the replies and info, it's much appreciated.

I have all the parts save for the Hand Guards, Barrel and Bolt. Bravo Company lists some Barrel Assemblies but they run $320.
Most other chrome lined barrels I see run around the $200 price and since there are no pictures, there's no way for me to know what they are charging $320 for.

They have good prices on the BCG and I wanted to replace my current semi carriers that aren't staked with the FA carriers they sell which are staked properly.

Frankly I'd like to order a complete upper so I have an excuse to build another AR on the "Spare" upper I'd have sitting around. It sure would be a nice candidate for a 6.8SPC Pistol with a 12.5" barrel from Ko-Tonics. But I'm sure everyone knows how having enough ARs goes...

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.