6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
7,772 Posts
In what relation? ammo cost... ammo availability... lethality?

· Registered
7,772 Posts

· Registered
3,086 Posts
It tumbles in flesh but does not fragment like the .223. SInce a fragmenting bullet does more damage than a tumbling bullet, the .223 does more damage.

· Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thats what i've been reading about it. it looks like a nice round for plinking around and cleaning up some rabbits around my place. just looking for a upper than i can shoot all day. was thinking this might be it.

· Registered
644 Posts
Right now the ammo is cheap, from what I hear from a few AK owning friends. But who knows what the future holds for imported ammo. Between the two, I would stay with the 5.56, it's more lethal with the right ammo, has much more variety in rounds you can use/reload, and can be found just about anywhere in the U.S., and has proven to be quite accurate. They also make an AK in .223 if that's what your after.

· Registered
551 Posts
from Doc Roberts

The 5.45 x 39 mm Russian M74 53 gr FMJ boat-tailed bullet has a copper-plated steel jacket surrounding an unhardened steel core and a small 5 mm long empty air-space under the bullet nose. Its typical muzzle velocity is 3066 f/s. In contrast to the older 7.62 x 39 mm Russian M43 Type PS which it replaced, the 5.45 x 39 mm M74 53 gr FMJ commonly exhibits very early yaw in tissue, at approximately 2.75", but no deformation or fragmentation. In both uncomplicated extremity and torso wounds, the very early yaw allows the bullet to travel sideways through the body, increasing permanent tissue destruction and temporary cavitation effects. A small punctate entrance wound is present and the exit wound may be punctate, oblong, or stellate depending on the bullet yaw angle on exit. Penetration is approximately 21.6". 5.45 x 39 mm M74 is a lot like an early yawing 5.56 mm bullet that does not fragment--for example M995, but without the AP capability. Good fragmenting 5.56 mm bullets, like the Hornady 75 gr or Nosler 77 gr OTM's, are superior to 5.45 x 39 mm. I am unaware of any good terminal ballistic testing on commercial 5.45 x 39 mm loads.

· Registered
644 Posts
I agree. Soft points like the 55 and 64 grain soft points in the Federal TRU line are also very nasty and are fairly cheap. They both fragement violently and early. The TRU soft points have cannelures and the jacket extends all the way to the tip to avoid gumming the feed ramps with lead. The Federal Tactical 62gr bonded soft point expands completely in the first two inches of penetration and retains almost 100% of it's weight, even after windshields. Between those and the heavy JHP's like the Hornady 75's they are far superior to the 5.45x39mm.

Of course, the 6.8 is superior to all of the above.... :D

· Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thank you for the information. I am just looking around for something to shoot paper at mostly. i would really like to get a 5.56 but as we all know they are not easy to find in stock and the ones that are have gone way up in price. can anyone give me feed back on Model 1 uppers? never heard of them, and was wondering how they compared to the bigger names such as RRA or STAG. thank you all again.

· Registered
644 Posts
DPMS has tight chambers. Even the one's marked 5.56. If you ream them out with a true 5.56 reamer they are okay. When I went to Colt M16 armorer's school Dean Caputo (instructor) had one of the reamers and explained how some brands did not have the correct chambers which lead to extraction problems once the gun heats up. And that is not a good price for a DPMS, IMO.

· Registered
9,057 Posts
I can't suggest anywhere to find one but I too think that price is too high. Some custom jobs don't cost that, the price is definitely a panic price IMHO.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.