6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well guys... I dont know how many are going down this road or maybe planning on it... RRA uppers are practically nonexistent and most peoples wait times are up in outerspace...
Even contacting Marty at teppojutsu will tag you a 6 month wait time... and Tromix has suspended all further orders and stamped a 12month tag on thier wait....

It all boils down to one thing... BARRELS...

a little birdie has eluded to the fact that its a reamer issue, between Marty and Rra and.... allegedly RRA has the only .458 socom reamer and wont give it back to Marty.... makes sense becuase if they did...they would be crippled with unfullfilled orders... but its Martys reamer... damnit

I have contacted Marty and conversed thru several emails... he told me the 6 month wait was for barrels and bolts.... I told him that I can get one of his barrels and bolts and he asked where... I informed him and he said that nothing needs to be done to those barrels to assemble it to an upper as they come from him anyway ...He did not comment on the rock river issue or reamer issue... I asked if you could still assemble my upper if I sent him everything... so now I am waiting on a reply... Marty informed me that the ejection needs to be opened up and suggests a mill to do so... He also stated that bolt spring upgrades are not needed due to pressures being low and he stated that they only use a carbine length gas system... he also stated that there is no need for m4 cuts making another Sun Devil billet upper a prime canidate as it comes stock w/o them...

here is what I have....

458 SOCOM BARREL(parkerized)=395.00(have in stock)
458 BOLT(in stock)=65.00
YHM SOLID C.A.R. FREE FLOAT RAILED H/G=89.00
SUN DEVIL BILLET SLICK SIDE UPPER= 139.00
.936 SINGLE RAIL GAS BLOCK=30.00
5/8 x 24 PHANTOM 5C2= 35.00
+
bolt carrier and c.a.r. length gas tube

now all I need is proper assembly.... I dont know where or how????

·
Registered
441 Posts
It only takes a few weeks to get a brand new reamer made from scratch. Companies typically never have only one reamer when they are doing volume. They have a min of two maybe more depending on the volume. Reamers are only good for a few 100 barrels before they are worn. Its simply a volume issue. Think about what just happened. EVERYONE is buying guns and before the election it was already running about maxed out. The 458 is a niche item so its not going to have the reserves and right now you have even all the main stream stuff sold out. Further, a huge article was jsut published in the major gun rages about the 458 and that instantly will double the number of orders.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He also said the hurrican effed things up bad....

fortunately for me.... my tracking abilities and internet skip tracing saavy awarded me... a teppojutsu .458 socom barrel and matching bolt...I have already ordered it and its ready to ship after parkerizig(done standard)....
I secured another Sun Devil upper right when they came back in stock and everything else is a breeze... I do see allot of people complaining about things being out of stock.... but they just have to be more patient and keep looking... thats what gave birth to my 6.8 .... that same dilligence...

I asked Marty today if he would do the assembly and test firing... I am waiting on his reply

·
Registered
49 Posts
Black Lion, put that bad boy together. I destroyed my upper (RRA) trying to get the dam FF tube on they used lock tite on. This resulted in my 458S now having an Vltor upper which I like better anyway. Point is the hardest part was getting the damn thing apart. Putting together is much less difficult. I beleive their is a thread on the socom forum that discusses in detail. Anyway I dremeled my ejection port until the round fits trough it taking an even amount off the top and bottom as I went. If you go evenly you'll find that the round will fit easily through before you get down to the port cover spring. Then just blue over the shiny part. That is all that is needed to adjust an upper. I asked Marty (through that thread on 458S forum) if this was really it. His reply was if the round fits it will work. All the rest really flows...join barrel and upper...lube barrel nut so that when torqueing to spec you'll have to adjust it to align the gas tube holes up between the upper and the barrel nut. Place your gas tube thru the aligned holes in bar nut and upper and add gas block if it is lo-pro. If it is standard size you'll need to put the FF on first which should screw on the barrel nut(I used a YHM FF 4 rail) screw it down tight then use the anti rotation screw to lock her down. Then you have to put the gas tube and gas block on if it wasn't lo-pro. I did not used any lock tite on any of my upper, but did torque to spec. After around 200 rounds it is still tight, but I only use mine for pigs and range time. I didn't mean to ramble on, but man I just remember how I thought only gun smiths could do things like that, and left my garage went to the range and then decided the AR platform did not fall into "Gun Smiths Only" like I thought it did!

EDIT this sounds kind of "know it all" I tremendously beleive the an upper assembled and tested by marty in 458s would be a great value and offer peice of mind in workmanship. I meant my post to be one step above waiting around forever. My entire ordeal came stricly from lack of patience which added $250 in F-ups just to swap out a FF. However if you just can't wait :lol: ......you can do it!

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Heey man... I really appreciate you spending the time to ramble on... I am a compulsive rambler as well...

I can get shipped today an RRA 458 upper...

I also have all the parts I want with a billet upper....

the cost is about 300 difference...

I did plan on eventually swapping uppers / the ff tube for a yhm solid 4 rail and a yhm flash hider....

now that II can have an RRA 458 today for 667.00 shipped... I started to re-think the whole build....

shit.... first no options... now too many...

I just wonder about the RRA becuase it has a lifetime warranty... but I knw if i change rcvrs - handguards etc the warranty will probably go bye bye...

I almost put together my own 6.8 ... infact I did 3 dry assemblies before shipping to a 6.8 officianado...

I did build my first lower a couple weeks ago... its still in the oven curing as we speak...

more rambling please...;)

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Feel free to PM me where you heard "RRA will not give Marty back the reamer" just wondering.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts