6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody have real world experience with the Nosler 300 gr ballistic tip bullets? Listed optimal velocity is 1200-1800 fps.

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
The latest (Sept 2016) Guns and Ammo has a comparison between the Rock River LAR 458 and the CMMG MKW Anvil plus lots of info on the factory ammo.

Too rich for my blood, most are over $3.00 a round.

The Black Butterfly 300 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip at 1853 fps out of a 16 inch barrel is what you want. "Will expand on impact out to 400 yards". But with a 100 yard zero it will drop 9 FEET by 400 yards.

The TGD 325 FTX uses the Hornady 325 grain FTX bullet.

Lots of Ibuprofen or Naprosyn recommended for the eventual bad shoulder.

I thought it interesting the Rock River LAR 458 is built on the A15 platform, the CMMG MKW Anvil on AR10 platform with a mag well that accepts AR15 magazines. That lower might be just the thing for a 260 AR15 round.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Lots of Ibuprofen or Naprosyn recommended for the eventual bad shoulder.

[/B]
Are you kidding me, they actually said the above?
That is pure unadulterated BS. I have been involved with the .458 SOCOM since it first came out and have shot thousands and thousands of rounds of it, and the way some people exaggerate the recoil of the .458 for God only knows what reason, really ticks me off. I am not some hairy-chested muscle-bound he-man and I know of a good many women and small framed men who shoot the .458 without needing medication afterwards or suffer shoulder damage.
It is such statements as this that made me drop gun rags suchas G&A and ST over a decade ago. You cannot believe a word they say. God they are such liars, almost as bad as most politicians.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Because he shot hundreds of rounds in a day, testing two rifles and 7 brands of ammo.
All I can say to that is big whoop. If one believes that load of crap then it is obvious one has never shot a .458 SOCOM.
The statement they made makes me think they are kindred blood with the 'journalist' who claimed to have suffered PTSD after a few rounds of 5.56.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Big-bore is right (hence the name :a21:) The relative moderate velocity
of the 458 socom and the gas action is more of a push than
harsh recoil. It is a baby when compared to a 3 or 3.5 inch Turkey load
in a 12 gauge.

·
Registered
6,732 Posts
The Black Butterfly 300 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip at 1853 fps out of a 16 inch barrel is what you want. "Will expand on impact out to 400 yards". But with a 100 yard zero it will drop 9 FEET by 400 yards.
not sure 400 yards is a good mark if it leaves the barrel @ [email protected] 400 yards , it would be going 1070fps with 762 ft lbs (and they claim 1200fps is minimum expansion)--- now 300 sounds possible as it still has 1196 fps with 953 ft lbs ----I wish I could use this bullet for ML season in CO, but they don't allow sabots

on SPS, they show a different "operating velocity" :

"Great for the 458 Socom.
Factory 2nds (Cosmetically Blemished)

2nds, Cosmetic Blemished, All Nosler products are hand inspected prior to packaging. Every bullet and every piece of brass is searched for imperfections to ensure that every piece meets Noslers strict quality standards. Products with physical imperfections and deformities are scrapped, while products with only cosmetic blemishes are labeled as 2nds.

Bullet Ballistics Information

B.C: 0.25
Part Number: N/A
Optimal Expansion Velocity: 1800 - 3200 (FPS)"
do they have their specs right? or is this a misprint? I thought the 300 BT was the same bullet used in the ML sabots ?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Are you kidding me, they actually said the above?
That is pure unadulterated BS. I have been involved with the .458 SOCOM since it first came out and have shot thousands and thousands of rounds of it, and the way some people exaggerate the recoil of the .458 for God only knows what reason, really ticks me off. I am not some hairy-chested muscle-bound he-man and I know of a good many women and small framed men who shoot the .458 without needing medication afterwards or suffer shoulder damage.
It is such statements as this that made me drop gun rags suchas G&A and ST over a decade ago. You cannot believe a word they say. God they are such liars, almost as bad as most politicians.
I used to laugh every time I let someone shoot my 458,you'd thought they were fixing to shoot a 50 BMG without a muzzle brake.:a43:
Shooting the 300-350 grain bullets out of it was about like shooting my DPMS LR-260. The recoil would show up a little more when shooting the 405 grain and larger bullets super sonic. I never shot a single round of factory ammo out of mine,I hand loaded for it from the start.

It's a hog stopping SOB with any bullet out of it,but I just didn't like the limited range of the 458. It was kind of like throwing a brick at whatever you were hunting. It was fun as hell to shoot,and very accurate to 150 yards,after that the bullet was just falling out of the sky.

·
Super Moderator
12,228 Posts
Getting a little off topic here but customer really wants a muzzle brake for the 458 upper I am building. Using barrel and bolt from SBR and Aero upper. Any recommendations on a good three port style brake?

·
Registered
438 Posts
Getting a little off topic here but customer really wants a muzzle brake for the 458 upper I am building. Using barrel and bolt from SBR and Aero upper. Any recommendations on a good three port style brake?
The best brake I have used on the .458 is the TROMIX 4-port fish-gill. Equally good, is the Midwest Industries 3 port fish-gill but you then have to pay someone, like Paladin Machine Shop Service, $20 or so to open it up to clear the .458. The TROMIX break is good to go without mods and it comes in 5/8 x 24 and 5/8 x 32 or 36, whatever RR uses.

·
Super Moderator
12,228 Posts
The best brake I have used on the .458 is the TROMIX 4-port fish-gill. Equally good, is the Midwest Industries 3 port fish-gill but you then have to pay someone, like Paladin Machine Shop Service, $20 or so to open it up to clear the .458. The TROMIX break is good to go without mods and it comes in 5/8 x 24 and 5/8 x 32 or 36, whatever RR uses.
Thanks Big Bore. I found that at SBR. It wasn't on their website but they have it on order.

·
Registered
260 Posts
The .450 Bushmaster guys swear by the Ross Schuler brake:
http://68forums.com/forums/showthread.php?46299-Muzzle-brake-option
http://www.450bushmaster.net/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=539

I think this is his website but I'm not 100% sure about that:
http://www.muzzlebrakesandmore.com/Home_Page.php

If I get back on the .450 bus again and put one together, a Ross brake is at the top of the list if I don't go bare muzzle.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Absolutely. If you want the highest quality, fastest shipping, and lowest price, as well as an original spec chamber, not some reverse engieered knock-off, TROMIX is the one to go with.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts