6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few years ago several guns were stolen from my dads house, including both his .44 mags. Mom wants to get him another for his b-day in a few weeks.

The stolen revolvers were a 7.5" (iirc) River Super Blackhawk, and a 4" Taurus Tracker. The Blackhawk was too heavy and single action, he does not want another of those. He liked the tracker but he did not like the ported barrel.

From what I've heard him say he wants another 4" barrel, 5 or 6 shot, and preferably double action without ported barrel. I'm not familiar with who makes what what when it comes to revolvers. So what all is out there?

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
A few years ago several guns were stolen from my dads house, including both his .44 mags. Mom wants to get him another for his b-day in a few weeks.

The stolen revolvers were a 7.5" (iirc) River Super Blackhawk, and a 4" Taurus Tracker. The Blackhawk was too heavy and single action, he does not want another of those. He liked the tracker but he did not like the ported barrel.

From what I've heard him say he wants another 4" barrel, 5 or 6 shot, and preferably double action without ported barrel. I'm not familiar with who makes what what when it comes to revolvers. So what all is out there?
The Ruger Redhawk is an excellent choice, or the S&W 629. Both are expensive. Smith has a new L-frame 5 shot .44 Mag that looks good. Taurus also has some double action models. None of the good revolvers are going to be that light, and won't be inexpensive. Personally, I'd go with with a Redhawk with the 5" barrel. Its heavy, but its brute strong, well made, and has one of the best triggers out of the box I've seen in a long time. I've got the .45 Colt version with the 4.2" barrel, and love it.

·
Super Moderator
21,594 Posts
S&W...

If he wants to shoot heavy loads, the Ruger is more stout.

Dan Wesson used to offer one with different barrel lengths (as a kit). Again, STOUT and heavy.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I'm partial to Smiths. I have a stainless 629 Classic Hunter with 5" barrel. I think they still make a 629 Mountain or Backpacker version with 4" tapered barrel to cut a little weight. I've been staring at a blued pre-lock Model 29-3 6" at my local pawnshop for months now and fear that further resistance is futile if somebody else doesn't buy it soon.

But I'm sure the Ruger .44 is a fine pistol too - I just don't have any experience with one.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Double action 44mag = heavy revolver, no lightweights available. Ruger is the standard for durability when it comes to 44mag. Just get a Desert Eagle and skip the wheel gun!

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Double action 44mag = heavy revolver, no lightweights available. Ruger is the standard for durability when it comes to 44mag. Just get a Desert Eagle and skip the wheel gun!
That's not all true. My S&W Model 69 and my M29 Mountain Gun both weigh less than my Ruger Blackhawk. Taurus makes a few 44 mag revolvers in both L and N frame dimensions that are fairly light. It really boils down to what he wants to do with it. Shooting all day means a heavier revolver and longer barrel generally.

The M69 is a very nice, accurate and light revolver but it isn't something you want to shoot full bore magnums through all day. The recoil gets painful after a few cylinders. It's great for mid range magnums and plinking with specials.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Size and weight wise, he really liked the Taurus. If they would build their Tracker in 44 without a ported barrel we would be all over it. They don't though.

Appreciate most of the suggestions so far. I know he does not want a Redhawk we've talked about that before. Full bore magnums are not likely to be a common occurrence. Most likely will be using medium hand loads, shotshells, and off the shelf Remington or Winchester.

I think that the S&W Model 69 is the ticket. Similar in weight to his tracker, double action, 4" barrel and no porting. Would be nice if they offered a blued version.

The 629 looks possible as well. Not sure that mom is going to be willing to pay for either. She doesn't know how much we spend on gun stuff, and those are more expensive than most of that.

Please keep the suggestions coming!

Just get a Desert Eagle and skip the wheel gun!
Got to be one in every thread. If he wanted at carry an auto he'd just grab one of his 45s.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
If he is looking for light, S&W 329PD. It won't be fun to shoot though...

My favorite is a 6" 629 Classic, it was my first big wheel gun from my dad. It was stolen several years ago and recovered with the cylinder locked up. I sent it to S&W for repair and had them do a trigger job. Words can't describe how the worked trigger feels, very nice.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
I honestly don't know if I would even shoot a 329PD if given the chance. I see no way that could be a pleasant experience with a magnum round. The 69 feels light at 37oz and the PD is 3/4lb lighter.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No, not interested in 329 light. That's too light. The Tracker he had was about 34 oz. The model 69 is 37 oz. IIRC the 629 is 41oz, but also adds an extra round to the full weight.

·
Registered
4,793 Posts
I pack a Ruger Super Red Hawk in .454 Casul and am looking for a 4 inch .44 Mag in the Super Red Hawk for outdoor adventures. The cylinders & frames are indestructible and they fit my XXL hand nicely. The SP101 goes everywhere else. Ruger builds the best revolvers out there when it comes to ruggedness and durability as well as reliability and resale value.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the heads up on the one for sale on the other forum.

I actually talked to mom a few hours ago, because I wanted more info before trying to make the decision. As similar as the 69 and 629 are I wanted to know if he would prefer a 5 shot or 6 shot. She didn't want to ask because she wanted it to be a complete surprise, tried telling me to choose. I'm sorry to be rude about getting my dad a b-day present, but that's too much for me to spend with out being absolutely certain that it is what he wanted. When I laid out the prices for her, she changed her mind pretty quickly. With their tags, tax, and insurance payments being due this month, I imagine that it's a little too much to spend.

I am going to do some searching and see if I can find something that I think he'd like that's a little more in the budget. Really leaning more towards an like maybe a decent NV scope in the 4-500 dollar range. I also know he's mentioned wanting a silencer for his .223 AR upper several times so if I could find a good one in that price range (tax included) that might be an option as well.

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
Appreciate most of the suggestions so far. I know he does not want a Redhawk we've talked about that before. Full bore magnums are not likely to be a common occurrence. Most likely will be using medium hand loads, shotshells, and off the shelf Remington or Winchester.
What doesn't he like about the Redhawk? It has one of the best out of the box triggers around. It'll handle anything from mild to wild without batting an eye. S&W has a couple models in .44 Spl as well. If he's mostly shooting mid range loads, the Spl can be loaded to meet that very easily. A 250 gr. WFN or Keith style SWC at 1000 fps is a very potent load and easy to shoot all day. That's what I used in my Super Blackhawk most of the time for fun shooting. Also was Skeeter Skelton's favorite for his duty gun.

Don't forget on the suppressor there are legal niceties that must be met which entails extra costs and a substantial wait time to get the approval. Might want to start on that now for a Christmas present instead of a birthday.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Size? Weight? I don't recall his exact reasons, but do remember that he didn't want another Ruger. I also remember that he thought his Super Blackhawk was too heavy, which is why he bought the Taurus. The Redhawk in 4.20" is the same weight as that Blackhawk was. He has a bum leg from a plane crash several years ago, since that happened he's been much more sensitive to weight. That said he would not want an ultralight like the 329.

I'm also just guessing on the mid range magnums. I know he wouldn't be using really hot loads, but that doesn't mean he won't be loading to near factory specs.

I think the suppressor will have to wait until Christmas or his next birthday. Due to paper work its not really a giftable item.

Still thinking it over. Not really sure he would want the NV either. He has a NV monocle that he never uses, still just uses a green flashlight.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Light but not to light = S&W 69.
Yes I have one and love it because it is the same size as myS&W 66. I just do not care for fullmag loads unless really needed so the 69 with loads from 44 special to mild magloads for most uses.
I would not own either if I didn’t reload.
The 69 fits my 66 holsters and is easy to carry. It can be loaded with full house 44 mags ifneeded or wanted.
It is accurate and has a good trigger.
Check Hickock 45's video on utube.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
This gun is on my short list along with a Henry 44 lever rifle.

Oh, and the obligatory:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
106 Posts
I suggest you take your time and look around at the gun shows and your LGS. I have found more than 3 revolvers in your $500 budget. If you are patient and friendly some good deals will come your way. I picked up a Red Hawk 44 three months ago for $500 and got some ammo in the deal too. It was in pretty good shape and shoots better than me. Lol

1 - 20 of 28 Posts