6.8 SPC Forums banner

61 - 79 of 79 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,596 Posts
That's what I thought the first time I shot a friends 10 mm. We were plinking at a 10" steel plate hanging by a chain. The second shot on the steel and it broke the chain. I was hooked right then. I bought a .40 SW about 6 months ago and still haven't shot it. I bought it because it was a New Orleans PD turn-in with their shield. I grew up there and bought it just for grins.
I'd say I'm a bit more drawn towards a 10 mm than I would be a .40. I'd have to shoot one to see what I think of it. I missed an opportunity (20 years ago) to buy a .45 WinMag. I loved shooting one of those when I lived up in the Arctic. It was on a double-stack frame too, so it had some serious girth on the grip.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I'd say I'm a bit more drawn towards a 10 mm than I would be a .40. I'd have to shoot one to see what I think of it. I missed an opportunity (20 years ago) to buy a .45 WinMag. I loved shooting one of those when I lived up in the Arctic. It was on a double-stack frame too, so it had some serious girth on the grip.
Looking forward to a flood of cheap .40's to hit the market but still havent seen any. I will be sure to pick up when they become bargains. Everything old is new again...given enough time.

·
Registered
766 Posts
I picked up a G22 for under $300 that was a police turn-in. AIM Surplus has had some pretty good deals on turn-ins.

·
Super Moderator
11,757 Posts
I picked up a G22 for under $300 that was a police turn-in. AIM Surplus has had some pretty good deals on turn-ins.
Recently picked up a Sig P226 LE trade in for just a little more. I have a pile of .40 ammo and nothing to shoot it with so now that 9mm ammo is as scarce as toilet paper I picked up a .40 for zombie defense.

·
Registered
367 Posts
[
I'd say I'm a bit more drawn towards a 10 mm than I would be a .40.
10 has a good bit of kick to it. More so than a .45. Haven't tried it from a handgun, but works awesome in my AR pistol. Gun didn't like the 230 hard cast rounds, but probably would be fine with a tubbs spring. Shot 180s all day.

·
Super Moderator
21,596 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Had 4-4.5k of .40 brass I gave away. Prob should have kept it and started loading 40 as well.

·
Registered
105 Posts
A pallet of name brand .40 ammo would be a good long term investment. You know, for fifty years from now when it's as hard to get as .32 Colt New Police is today.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Since the FBI has made the switch back to 9mm, I've read multiple opinions and articles predicting the death of the the 40 S&W, yet just yesterday, I saw a press release from Federal and Homeland Security announcing a five year contract to produce 180 million HST rounds.:confused:
Opinions?
There is no way this is gonna' happen.....Have both , the 10 mm and the .40...Been hand loading them both for years. Bing both use the same cal. it is a no brainer....My two cents worth...That's all folks !

·
Registered
74 Posts
.40 S&W is still real popular with the competition crowd.

So I don’t see it going anywhere soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
I really like SnW....old stuff. But, the 10 mm semi-auto line was so very badly designed. It was like trying to hang on to a 4x4 timber. And, at 6'1", I have big hands. I can easily understand how smaller hands would have trouble controlling rapid fire full charge 180 grain jhp at 1200 fps. If the ergonomics of the 10 mm semi-autos had been as well designed as the Model 39 9mm......jeez. That is/was a very comfortable and self-pointing design.
Me....I liked the 10 mm and ended up with a Model 610.......it's my everything gun. With a red/green dot.

·
Registered
367 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm waaaay late to the discussion here, and it has been stated in various ways several times; I think one of the biggest pros to the .40 S&W nowadays is the ability to purchase handguns chambered in it cheaply. Granted, if you shoot it a lot you are going to offset the savings with ammo/component costs. Still, I picked up a LNIB USP 40 for $407, and a NIB M&P 40 Pro Series for $345 last year. My daily carry around the ranch is an M&P40, and I've used it to kill many things including three hogs. I definitely don't shoot the .40 for leisure. I'm old and decrepit and picking up brass isn't something I like doing much.

The caliber/chambering isn't probably going to see a revival. Still, with as many pistols were produced in .40 you won't have a hard time finding anything to feed it for many years...that and it still has a firm footing in the competition circuit.

61 - 79 of 79 Posts