6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since the FBI has made the switch back to 9mm, I've read multiple opinions and articles predicting the death of the the 40 S&W, yet just yesterday, I saw a press release from Federal and Homeland Security announcing a five year contract to produce 180 million HST rounds.:confused:
Opinions?

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
Since the FBI has made the switch back to 9mm, I've read multiple opinions and articles predicting the death of the the 40 S&W, yet just yesterday, I saw a press release from Federal and Homeland Security announcing a five year contract to produce 180 million HST rounds.:confused:
Opinions?
Why do people ask if a caliber is dying? Plenty of 40 cal guns out there, plenty of market for 40 cal ammo and components.
I was a 40 cal fan until I bought my 10mm, still uses some of the same bullets.

Every caliber has it's place and if it's established today the only thing that would kill it in my opinion is gun grabbers and new regulations that intend to kill all calibers.

Jmo

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
I keep hearing that every few years. It keeps not dying. It may not be the caliber du'jour for some, and others have an axe to grind, but there are lots of guns out there that aren't going away and every company that makes a 9 also makes a similar 40 and ammo is readily available.

·
Registered
841 Posts
The 40 is not dying. As others have written there are too many guns out in the world for it to go away.
Keep in mind when you read these and similar statements that writers need some thing to write about. The more controversial the better for them. I believe a certain individual calls this "Fake News".

·
Registered
747 Posts
My M&P .40 S&W is just as healthy now as it was the day I bought it. Still shoots accurately and dependably. Mine ain't dying. I tend to care little what others shoot and go with what I like which is one reason I wound up getting started with the 6.8 SPC years ago.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
I started with the powerhouse 10mm and wanted a CC version of the same caliber and bought a 40S&W. 2 great calibers that will be around for a long time to come. As stated, too many out there to die.

·
Registered
765 Posts
People said that the 10mm was a dead caliber too. Apparently someone gave it mouth to mouth.

·
Super Moderator
11,757 Posts
My only thought is what does Homeland Security need with 180 million rounds.
Well let's see, that would be US Border Patrol, US Customs ICE, US Coast Guard , US Secret Service, Federal Law Enforcement Training Centers, TSA and about half a dozen other agencies, many tasked with law enforcement duties. When I was in the Coast Guard we had to qualify every 90 days due to heavy law enforcement role so that took a lot of ammo in itself. Not to mention constant training.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Opinions?
Too many .40s already out there to declare it dead, but I think the demand for the calibre has certainly weakened. Prices for used .40s appear to have a bit of downward pressure and it seems like the amount of LEO trade ins has jumped, but that's just my perception. But that's good for those that like the round.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Too many .40s already out there to declare it dead, but I think the demand for the calibre has certainly weakened. Prices for used .40s appear to have a bit of downward pressure and it seems like the amount of LEO trade ins has jumped, but that's just my perception. But that's good for those that like the round.
It may be the perception that 40 isn't as popular that lowered the price of the last batch of police trade in Glock 22/23 I saw, and they sold out pretty quick (I got a 23).

·
Registered
24 Posts
My first pistol was the p91dc. A friend thought I was nuts for going with a 40. Just the other day he brought that up thinking it wasn't gonna take off, but as has been mentioned, if a pistol comes out in 9, it's generally in 40 too.

I'd rather hand load for my 40 than any of the others.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Well let's see, that would be US Border Patrol, US Customs ICE, US Coast Guard , US Secret Service, Federal Law Enforcement Training Centers, TSA and about half a dozen other agencies, many tasked with law enforcement duties. When I was in the Coast Guard we had to qualify every 90 days due to heavy law enforcement role so that took a lot of ammo in itself. Not to mention constant training.
Yes that's a lot of firearms to feed, I was just remembering several years back of the talk of them buying up a lot of ammo, don't know how that turned out if they did or not. http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/02/14/why-is-department-homeland-security-buying-so-many-bullets.html

·
Registered
167 Posts
It may not be dying but with reduced LEO use - the ammo is on discount right now and lots of used LEO 40 pistols available at discount prices. Good time to stock up on 40 ammo and LEO trade-in pistols and used mags. I am hoarding any 40 S&W brass I find as the supply of cheap brass will be reduced soon.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
If it were, MAC on youtube would be doing a celebration video. Now that the amusement is out of the way I will give my 2 cents on something I don't own and probably never will. The .40 is bridging the gap between the .45 and 9mm. I know, there are many in between but this splits the difference.

To me, the .40 is like the 6.8 in military use. It bridges the gap between 5.56 and a full power .30 cal round like the 7.62 x 51. I see the 40 as the same thing.

·
Registered
617 Posts
I don't think it's going to die, but I don't see a lot of it being used lately. I don't use it as much as I used to, but I think it's because I only have a sub-compact pistol to shoot it with. If I bought a full frame .40, I'd probably shoot it as much as my 9mm and .45.

·
Registered
209 Posts
40 S&W will be around a long time. I have thought about picking up a LEO trade in as the Glocks seem to be going for about $300. But I already shoot a G37 45GAP. That is a bastard round if there was ever was one. The 45 GAP will not die as there are a ton of them out there and except for the case they use the same components as 45 ACP. There are a lot more 40 S&W than 45 GAP.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I was pretty happy when FBI dropped the 40sw, i got a trade in glock 22 for 280$ and started being able to get ammo for super cheap. I did swap my 23 over to 9mm for suppressor use but kept the 22 at 40. It's been my range time gun now and i really enjoy it. I'm not really a caliber snob, i just like to shoot cheap.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Reviving a Dying post here, but I dont think the 40 is going anywhere.

I shoot .40 almost exclusively, I like the versatility to go super fast with light bullets, and subsonic with big honkers without needing special subsonic ammo.

I like being able to buy it anywhere, even during the last ammo drought, empty shelves except for the mounds of .40, which is fine with me.

I started playing with 10mm a few years ago, so it's nice to use the same bullets and mags in the case of Glocks. My G20 eats .40 like nobody's business.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts