6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
When I was stationed in NM, the aoudad was considered a nuisance, invasive species, and could be hunted year round without restriction. Do you know if it is still that way?
Where was that one taken?

·
Registered
698 Posts
When I was stationed in NM, the aoudad was considered a nuisance, invasive species, and could be hunted year round without restriction. Do you know if it is still that way?
Where was that one taken?
It is that way in Texas, they are a non-native exotic species, therefore no season required. I'm not sure about NM, but would assume it's the same.

Exceptional performance and great shooting too! Thanks for sharing. Out of curiosity, was this a handload or factory load?

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
That is one big ram. Here in Nevada the chances of getting a Big Horn sheep tag is 1 in 200 trillion! I have seen them many times near water, zero fear of humans because of the 1 in 200 trillion.

Come on give us all the details of yes, the rifle. Nice spiral fluted barrel, silencer? and huge Leupold scope. Just one shot? Factory of custom 120 SST?

·
Registered
316 Posts
Very cool, I'm interested in details as well. Looks like a thermal camera, was it a night shoot, or just to help locate the target?

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Very cool, I'm interested in details as well. Looks like a thermal camera, was it a night shoot, or just to help locate the target?
They were filming a hunt for a tv show from what I understand it was day and night both. But yes they were using that thermal for daytime spotting as well

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That is one big ram. Here in Nevada the chances of getting a Big Horn sheep tag is 1 in 200 trillion! I have seen them many times near water, zero fear of humans because of the 1 in 200 trillion.

Come on give us all the details of yes, the rifle. Nice spiral fluted barrel, silencer? and huge Leupold scope. Just one shot? Factory of custom 120 SST?
The rifle is the MC5 if you look at my last post hog killed with new rifle it goes over the details. The scope is Leopold set to the 120sst load. Not sure on the amount of shots taken, I was supposed to be there but work got in the way.

·
Registered
4,582 Posts
I guess NM has changed its view on them. They are now regulated as big game animals.
This is the case. I've been trying to get drawn for a Pronghorn tag in NM for the last 3 years without success. I saw this hunt and threw my name in the hat this year despite the low draw odds just for gins. No Pronghorn but got the Aoudad. Now I have to get in shape for the rough terrain. The season is the month of February and there are 600 tags in the two units I drew in. Most shots are 300 to 500 yards if you see one.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Where was that at? Texas? Nm?
This is down on one of the Modern Outfitters hunting ranches down by Marfa Tx. They have a couple of ranches where they do guided hunts down there from what I understand, don't know all the details. Next month I'll be able to tell you more I'll be doing a hunt down there, I'm sick from missing this one.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
TLM: the ones that were taken at 400 yards, was that with the 6.8 and the 120SST?
They have fallen in love with the 6.8 and 6.5 Creedmoor and are doing all they can to show people how effective the 6.8 is. All of these were taken with their 6.8 and the 120sst.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
They have fallen in love with the 6.8 and 6.5 Creedmoor and are doing all they can to show people how effective the 6.8 is. All of these were taken with their 6.8 and the 120sst.
At 400 yards. Wow, I would think the Barnes' 95 gr TSX would've been a better choice at that distance. Impressive.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
TLM, do you know why there is nothing 6.8 on their website except for 6.8 mags?
No guns, no barrels etc. No offer to build 6.8's even that I could find...

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
TLM, do you know why there is nothing 6.8 on their website except for 6.8 mags?
No guns, no barrels etc. No offer to build 6.8's even that I could find...
My only guess is it has not been updated.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
I used to apply to NM every year for multiple species as they were the last western state to decide to ream the non-residents, then they got a politician that decided there was something wrong with that, so they decided to ream non-residents too, now I gave up on hunting the western states.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
At 400 yards. Wow, I would think the Barnes' 95 gr TSX would've been a better choice at that distance. Impressive.
I'm not so sure about that I know the sst outperforms at 200 yards and in for sure. So maybe at 400 the 95 may do better.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts