6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had 358 Yeti subs on my mind for quite a while, and after some discussions with JW and finally getting some time at the bench, I was able to work some loads up...er down, rather.

The projectile I am currently using is a NOE 310g Cast- Powder coated bullet provided by our very own Centurion2000. This projectile measures 1.225" and hits the lands in my particular barrel at 2.080" so I seated them to a COAL of 2.075". With the bullet seated, I am left with 24g of h2o case volume.

My first ladder was 17g- 19g of IMR 4227 in .5g increments. Unfortunately, 17g clocked in at 1290fps, and failed to lock back on an empty magazine. This ladder wasn't a total waste though, I was also checking to be sure that the bullet would stabilize in the 1:12 twist barrel. I was happy to see that the bullet was perfectly stable. Due to the lack of lock back despite the higher velocity- I determined that IMR 4227 would not be suitable for my barrel. **The barrel being used is a 12" carbine gas so although it did not work in my setup, I would not totally rule it out for the 12.5" pistol gas barrels coming.

I pulled down the remainder of the loads I made and turned to a slightly slower powder- AA1680. I loaded a ladder from 15g-16.5g with three rounds each.

16.5g clocked in at just under 1100fps, ejected and locked on an empty magazine with suppressor.
16g @ 1049fps, ejected and locked on empty magazine with suppressor

Since I knew 15.5g would be under 1050fps, I decided to fire all three rounds though the suppressor. Each round ejected at 3-3:30 and locked back on the empty magazine. You will notice that I am hand feeding the rounds. Due to the blunt nose of the projectile, The rounds were not quite hitting the feed ramps. A more pointed cast bullet in the same weight range is in the works to aid in more reliable feeding.

·
Administrator
22,078 Posts
Sounded pretty quiet... and looked to be pretty tame on the shoulder.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Very quiet indeed! Definitely no hearing protection needed. The yeti does have its fair amount of recoil, but I was also surprised at how much the suppressor tamed it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts