·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I Gun Firearm Air gun Shooting Recreation
Finger Hand Games
Games Hand
Games Hand Finger Recreation
I was interested in the 350 Legend but was ready to put a lot of money into it. I decided to buy a Bear Creek Arsenal upper for a couple hundred dollars. I have been pleased with the accuracy and reliability of the upper. Next I will hunt hogs with it to see how it does.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I bought a 350 Legend upper that will arrive today. I will be going back to Ohio to hunt deer with my Dad and Uncle this fall and the 350 Legend is legal in Ohio. Looks like a good mid range whitetail round. I guess I'll see how it does on whitetails this fall. Based on your pictures, accuracy looks pretty good.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Update: I killed two deer with the .350 legend last fall. One in Missouri (didn't have to use straight wall but did as a test run for the Ohio hunt) and one in Ohio. Neither were big deer. The Missouri one was a yearling doe and the Ohio one was a spike buck. I was using the Federal Fusion 160 grain ammo. I had some Federal 180 grain (non-Fusion) rounds as well and they shot equally well. I chose the Fusion round thinking it would penetrate better with the bonded core even though it was lighter than the 180 grain non-Fusion round. Results were good but not great. On the yearling doe, it was a 75 yard shot offhand and she was steeply quartering to me. The accuracy was really good as I hit her in the near shoulder and destroyed the shoulder. The bullet angled back into the guts and stopped somewhere in there. No exit. The deer ran about 40 yards and piled up. As the deer was a yearling and even though the bullet destroyed the shoulder blade going in, I guess I expected the Fusion bullet to exit no matter what. I was a little disappointed it didn't.

The Ohio spike buck was also shot with the 160 grain Fusion load. The initial shot was about 70 yards at a trotting deer. That shot was a miss. He was going down a steep incline and I think I shot over top of him. He didn't know where the shot came from and crossed the ravine and came directly towards me. He stopped at about 15 yards and he was behind a tree peeking around at me. When he whirled to run away, I tried to time the shot to hit him broadside. He was faster than me and my shot hit the shoulder as he was turning away from me and exited from his lower neck on the same side. So the bullet never entered the chest cavity it just went on the outside of the ribs, through the shoulder, into the neck and exited. This knocked the deer down and before he could try and regain his feet, I shot again. Either due to me rushing the shot or due to the scope being so much higher than the bore, my shot was low and went through the brisket (bottom of the chest) from the side and exited. It did catch a little of each lung on the way through and he stayed down and expired.

I think I am going to switch to the 180 grain rounds (I have purchased some Winchester 180 grain PowerPoint rounds that I will re-zero the rifle for before season) next year. Several articles I have read say that the better your sectional density the better the penetration. The heavier the bullet (in the same caliber) the higher the sectional density. The combination of more weight and longer bullet should penetrate better than light for caliber (shorter) bullets. We'll see but the rifle is plenty accurate and I don't have any reservations about using it for deer hunting as the results were two dead deer either way.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the report. I hunted deer with mine last season and had good results with the Hornady 170gr ammo. I have had even better results on some large hogs. I have taken them with the Hordany ammo and also the Browning and Winchester Deer Season ammo.
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle
Terrestrial animal Grass Plant Boar Peccary
Wood Grass Pollution Groundcover Terrestrial animal

·
Registered
575 Posts
Good info on the 350 Legend. I have been thinking really hard on getting one for deer hunting here in Ohio. 44 mag is really good for deer hunting, which I have. However, I think the 350 might have a bit more reach. Just wondering how the two would preform head to head. Maybe even throw in the 445 mag and the 444 Marlin. That would be a good comparison for lever action rifles. Then you would have to look for the availability of ammo. 350 Legend would be the most available, then maybe the 44 mag, which is still hard to find. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Good info on the 350 Legend. I have been thinking really hard on getting one for deer hunting here in Ohio. 44 mag is really good for deer hunting, which I have. However, I think the 350 might have a bit more reach. Just wondering how the two would preform head to head. Maybe even throw in the 445 mag and the 444 Marlin. That would be a good comparison for lever action rifles. Then you would have to look for the availability of ammo. 350 Legend would be the most available, then maybe the 44 mag, which is still hard to find. Thanks for the info.
I have both and have taken deer with both. The .44 magnum has a max range of about 100 yards. It really drops after that. The 350 Legend gets you out to at least 150 yards and 200 is doable. However, the places I hunt in the thick woods, anything past 100 yards is not recommended due to possible bullet deflections due to brush. In that case, it's a toss up. I have killed 3 deer with a Henry lever action .44 magnum and 2 deer with the 350 legend. Farthest one was 75 yards. The .44 magnum seemed to hit them harder but none of them went more than 50 yards. So if your shots are 100 yards and in, you probably won't see a big difference. But if you hunt somewhere where you can get a shot past 100 yards, the 350 Legend will shoot flatter and have a longer maximum point blank range over the .44 magnum.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I have both and have taken deer with both. The .44 magnum has a max range of about 100 yards. It really drops after that. The 350 Legend gets you out to at least 150 yards and 200 is doable. However, the places I hunt in the thick woods, anything past 100 yards is not recommended due to possible bullet deflections due to brush. In that case, it's a toss up. I have killed 3 deer with a Henry lever action .44 magnum and 2 deer with the 350 legend. Farthest one was 75 yards. The .44 magnum seemed to hit them harder but none of them went more than 50 yards. So if your shots are 100 yards and in, you probably won't see a big difference. But if you hunt somewhere where you can get a shot past 100 yards, the 350 Legend will shoot flatter and have a longer maximum point blank range over the .44 magnum.
The first year I took my youngest son deer hunting, we set up on a down hill slope overlooking a small creek by a large Oak tree. We were sitting in a couple of small fold up chairs as we waited for it to get light out and the legal hunting time window. As we waited I seen a doe approach from the north. I was sitting where the doe could see me and couldn't move. I whispered to my son to get up behind the tree, lean out and take the shot. As my son moved into position, the doe looked away. At that time I told him to take the shot. He slowly leaned out and squeezed the trigger. BAM! As I sat there I seen a small branch half way between us and the deer (about the diameter of my pinky finger), explode! The deer jumped up in the air, did a 180 degree turn, ran 20 yds, turned 180 degrees and ran 50 yds and stopped. It had no idea where the shot came from. While that happened, I had my son chamber a new round and position himself for another shot. I still didn't move and couldn't see the deer, because it blended in so well with the back ground. My son could see it, it had it's backside towards us. I told my son to aim at it, but not shoot until it turned some. As the deer turned, I could see it. My son squeezed off another shot, the deer jumped in the air and dropped to the ground,,,,,DRT. What's the point? The 44 mag did deflect at about 30yds as you have pointed out. I would say just about any bullet would do the same thing, that's hunting in the woods / brush. I'm not sure it would be much different with the 350 Legend at that point, but I do agree the Legend has more range. Good info by the way.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I’m a fan of the 350 legend. I ordered one from delta team tactical and it’s plenty accurate. Took my first ever black bear with it this past hunting season. Bear weighed around 225 pounds and was shot at around 100 yards. If I’m not mistaken I was shooting the 180 grain hollow point. I can’t remember the manufacture of the bullet as I’m on vacation and not able to look in my ammo supply. Bear ran about 75 yards found him piled up right next to a cut over. I have zero regrets about purchasing a 350 legend. I have actually considered buying another one. Your mileage may very but I’m very pleased with the round.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
714 Posts
Not trying to rain on anyone's parade here. I assure you I truly do not care what cartridge people choose, the make or type of their firearm, the manufacturer of bullet they choose or any single variable. If you like it and are satisfied, then that's all that matters to you and no one else.

But.....
I feel like the 350 Legend is another solution looking for a problem and is over-advertised and over-hyped by today's market of people wanting the "next best thing".

In my opinion, the "legend" really only excels in 1 single category; states requiring a straight wall cartridge of at least .35 cal for deer & game hunters in otherwise shotgun only zones. And the fact that it works in a standard AR lower now makes it very popular and intriguing to the masses, especially with key marketing name like .350 Legend.

Comparing it's external ballistics to the age old .30-30 Winchester is quite interesting and worthy of a quick comparison on Hornady's website for factory ammo with the 160gr FTX in .30-30 to the 165gr FTX in 350 Legend.

Again, for those of you who love it, I am happy for you. And I have absolutely zero doubt in it's ability to take game within it's respective performance envelope. But for the gentlemanly sake of this hobby, let's have a real discussion about how legendary it actually is.

Edit to add: I know the test barrel length's are different on Hornady's websites, but I'm pretty sure both cartridge's have burnt most of their powder by 20" and don't have much to gain.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Where I hunt the best way to test a new bullet or caliber is to take it out and use it. We have a good amount of large hogs and they provide the best results on what works for me and what doesn’t. On top of the results it has produced while hunting it is just fun to shoot.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Not trying to rain on anyone's parade here. I assure you I truly do not care what cartridge people choose, the make or type of their firearm, the manufacturer of bullet they choose or any single variable. If you like it and are satisfied, then that's all that matters to you and no one else.

But.....
I feel like the 350 Legend is another solution looking for a problem and is over-advertised and over-hyped by today's market of people wanting the "next best thing".

In my opinion, the "legend" really only excels in 1 single category; states requiring a straight wall cartridge of at least .35 cal for deer & game hunters in otherwise shotgun only zones. And the fact that it works in a standard AR lower now makes it very popular and intriguing to the masses, especially with key marketing name like .350 Legend.

Comparing it's external ballistics to the age old .30-30 Winchester is quite interesting and worthy of a quick comparison on Hornady's website for factory ammo with the 160gr FTX in .30-30 to the 165gr FTX in 350 Legend.

Again, for those of you who love it, I am happy for you. And I have absolutely zero doubt in it's ability to take game within it's respective performance envelope. But for the gentlemanly sake of this hobby, let's have a real discussion about how legendary it actually is.

Edit to add: I know the test barrel length's are different on Hornady's websites, but I'm pretty sure both cartridge's have burnt most of their powder by 20" and don't have much to gain.
I basically agree with what you said. I much prefer the 6.8 SPC for hunting in an AR platform rifle. However, as you mentioned, I do sometimes hunt in a state that only allows straight wall cartridges where I can't use the 6.8 SPC. Hence the 350 Legend. I would much rather use the 350 Legend over a shotgun with slugs or a muzzleloader. The one other thing it has going for it over some other AR calibers (300 blackout, 6.8, 450 Bushmaster, etc.) is lower cost of ammo (excluding 5.56/.223 here). So if you wanted a lower ammo cost AR but wanted more "knockdown" than a 5.56/.223, the 350 Legend fits the bill.

·
Premium Member
870 Posts
There has been a flood of new cartridges on the market that closely resemble others. I think it is mostly a marketing gambit hoping to strike it big. Unique markets like the straight wall restricted areas probably welcome some attention.

I think the Legend offers some promise and it's nice to see it getting some play. I admit when I look at it that I think I wish I had it in a lever action :D With a seeming jillion different offerings on the market, it is hard to find a definitive "need" for any particular new cartridge but it gives us something new to play with.

·
Registered
32 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
I killed a 10 point buck here in Missouri on Saturday with my 350 Legend shooting 180 grain Winchester PowerPoint ammunition. I was in a blind and the shot was only 8 yards. It entered just below the shoulder blade and broke the near leg. It angled forward through the chest and exited in front of the far shoulder about where the neck and shoulder meet. He went to the ground and never got up. He did kick his rear feet a little but that was it. Not a huge deer but decent sized. I should have placed the shot farther back so I would have missed the near leg/shoulder and hit the far leg/shoulder but it happened pretty fast and trying to place the shot that close with my scope on 4 power wasn't easy. It worked out anyway. Due to the extremely close range of the shot, not sure what can be said about the performance of the 350 Legend 180 grain PowerPoint round other than it worked. Dead right there with no tracking job.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts