6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few years ago Marty of Teppo Jutsu and I were working on the same idea when we bumped into each other. I decided to twist my design a little in hopes we could go in on a brass purchase but, it never materialized so I decided to form my own .338 Reaper 1 at a time and it is finally alive. This 338 Reaper is for a long action 700 and is not the same as his 338 Rhino.
In the photo a 6.8, .338 Reapers with 250gr Lapua Scenar and a 308.
The .338 is based on the .500 Jeffery and fits a long bolt action.
The Reaper will push a 250gr Scenar @ 2950fps, 215 Sierra @ 3200fps

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
Re: .338 Reaper

Two things:

1. Have you registered that round with NASA?

2. Have you notified the FAA of high speed, low altitude projectile testing?

·
Registered
13,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

ArtFWTx said:
Two things:

1. Have you registered that round with NASA?

2. Have you notified the FAA of high speed, low altitude projectile testing?
LOL It is kinda big huh?
I hope to have loads worked up for the hog hunt at Chris's

·
Registered
5,217 Posts

Those guys will love the 338 Reaper. You should be good to go for hogs or any cape buffalo you happen to run across while down there. Chupacabra beware!

Now tell us more about that 458 DRT. You have my attention, a 458 out of a 300 RSAUM case? I'd like to see numbers when you get them.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Re: .338 Reaper & .458 DRT

those are sweet H!!!!!

Where did you find the jeffery cases?

On those velocity numbers what barrel length is that?

If you hae that thing ready for Tx I can't wait to pull the trigger on it. Wow putting beside the 6.8 really brings it into perspective.

·
Registered
13,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I found 20 at midway last year, tired of waiting on the custom brass and made 3 form dies myself yesterday.
jamison wanted $15000 for 5000 custom cases and I just can't do that right now while I am still in start up
with the const.

the .338 is a 24" because it was developed as a cough..sniper...cough round.
the .458 DRT was figured with a 20" only because the recoil will be NASTY!!!! and I need all the weight I can get as well as the largest brake I can find. I have a 1 1/4" diameter Bennie Cooley, if I miss a hog it will be easy to sneak up on him next time
because he'll be deaf as hell.
The 458 uses 77gr of H322. LOL

·
Registered
441 Posts

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: And if you only bring the reaper you will be able to take the hog from over 1K where he can't hear you anyways. I would say you got it covered.

·
Registered
13,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

I am playing with an idea, I can use the same Jeffery case but leave it .300 longer and use it in a long action 700 with a 250gr Scenar. QL says it is 125fps faster than the Lapua mag. in a normal length action that anyone can buy at the same price as a 300 win mag. Can we do a poll here?

·
Banned
13 Posts

constructor said:
I found 20 at midway last year, tired of waiting on the custom brass and made 3 form dies myself yesterday.
jamison wanted $15000 for 5000 custom cases and I just can't do that right now while I am still in start up
with the const.

the .338 is a 24" because it was developed as a cough..sniper...cough round.
the .458 DRT was figured with a 20" only because the recoil will be NASTY!!!! and I need all the weight I can get as well as the largest brake I can find. I have a 1 1/4" diameter Bennie Cooley, if I miss a hog it will be easy to sneak up on him next time
because he'll be deaf as hell.
The 458 uses 77gr of H322. LOL
Ok, I am a fan of the "Mini 50" so this is probably just another excuse to build an upper. But I take exception to sneaking up on a deaf hog. Just readjust the trajectory and hit him on the second orbit! Something that big must must have "Smart Technology" inside.

You may have to register it as an orbital weapons package but thats on another forum.

J

·
Registered
13,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

The DRT looks a little better with a 350gr RN Hornady.
6.8 and 250gr HP to compare.

·
Registered
441 Posts

I really like that . Much bett3er with the bigger bullet. On the Jeffery I think the stickler is going to be cases. I love the idea of 338 Lapua in a regular 700 but the cases are going to be the issue. There has to be some brass maker that can make these things more available. If I could get say 200 cases so I could anneal and keep they basically forever I would build one as soon as I could afford to. One of the coolest flattest shooting over bores I have seen is a Lapua necked down to a 7 mm. Now put that in combo with a regular action and that is a winner in my book. Do a search on the Allen Magnums 7mm 338 270 whatever. He is on Long Range hunting site. That fact you can get the performance of the ones off the lapua case would be awesome.

·
Registered
49 Posts

Constructor,
I am buying a DPMS LR308 today or tomorrow b\c I don't have an AR10(or anything in .308). I would defintely have interest in one of these two. I think I'd like the reaper better for long range, but won't the brass be much less of an issue with the DRT. I already buy .458 bullets! what kind of effective range would the DRT have? The reaper is a 1000+ bullet isn't it?

·
Registered
441 Posts

I can say yes for sure the reaper is a 1K + and the DRT is 300 and in IIRC. Those bricks aren;t exactly areodynamic but as I say that watch Constructor come on here with a bullet that takes it out a ways further. You might also want to too at Cosntructors site AR15performance as if you want a 1K + shooter with easy to find ammo you need to look at the 6.5 reaper. think of it as the 338's little brother. It uses the same case as the DRT but all of that behind a 6.5 bullet. Now that is a lazer beam out to 1K. Avery flat shooting round for sure.

·
Registered
13,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

I am still testing the .338 but the 6.5 is bad for sure, I've been shooting it for a year.
123gr lapua Scenar at 3200 from a 22" barrel.
The RSAUM brass is the only way to go in a AR. the WSM brass is to wide and bulges the mags. the Jeffery brass is way to much work as I am finding out.

·
Registered
49 Posts

LR308...Check
I'll shoot it for awhile until the "well" gets $ome water back in it! I for some reason really like bigger bullets. I know in my head that the 6.5 w\ that big of a punch behind it would be like Tim said a lazer, but I really like the reaper. It's probably just my nature to be drawn to the more expensive to shoot of the two. I'll think about it for awhile while enjoying the new .308. What's a better way to celebrate independence day than take the 6.8,458, 308 to the range to have a vARy good time!!!!

My wife did tell me to get a hobby, bet she won't say it again! ha

·
Registered
13,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Drof said:
LR308...Check

My wife did tell me to get a hobby, bet she won't say it again! ha
LOL 1 rifle=20 pairs of shoes.

·
Registered
13,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

JAOwens said:
DRT= Dead Right There?
Thats how this country boy interprets it anyway.
You must know Chris..LOL

·
Registered
13,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Well the 338 Reaper is now .300 longer and fits a long bolt action .

It holds 104.5gr H2O.
QL says only 2950fps with a 250gr Lapua, this due mainly because the 500 Jeffery case is superthick.
I am going to test this to see if it is worth ordering 5000 custom made cases with my own headstamp.

Bigbore, if you talk to Marty tell him the 338Rhino in a AR needs more taper in the case. maybe .018-.022

·
Registered
49 Posts
Constructor,
I'm sorry, but am confused. Is there still a Reaper and an OMG or did you just go with the reaper name for the longer case for a bolt gun? Are you still devloping the .338 for the AR10? All I see on Marty's web page is the .338 spectre. Does he make a .338 Rhino? I would like more vel than the spectre gives from ar15.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2700

I guess my confusion comes from this(above) thread and the last two rounds on the right. I'm sure you noticed that the AR10 version took the checkered in the pole :) Even though it was a small sampling.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts