6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a few DPMS magazines that are great as far as the body goes but
the followers are crap. They are made of cheap soft plastic that bends, sticks
and sheds off. I am not sure what DPMS are thinking.

So have anyone tried a different follower on these that is made of real polymer
or metal and works well even if they need some fitting/modification?

Any ideas or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

I have other mags but I want to fix this garbage.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Have you tried a steel M14 mag follower? If it will work, they should be available from various sources. I have a number of M14 mags, but no DPMS mags to compare.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you tried a steel M14 mag follower? If it will work, they should be available from various sources. I have a number of M14 mags, but no DPMS mags to compare.
No I have not tried that one. Let me take a look. I have some M14 mags so I can check it out. Thanks for the idea!!
The DPMS followers look that they are made of playdough.

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
I have to agree with the crappy DPMS follower.

The MagPul 308 magazines are both lighter and have a much better follower.

You might try a MagPul follower

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
It's a bit shocking that DPMS hasn't done anything about this issue given the amount of requests and complaints about the followers. But in reality who owns DPMS and a few others who have had similar marketing and product issues ?

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
The mags bodies are pretty rigid and look great. I have not used them that much because of the crappy toy like followers
and also because I have other brands but I want to fix them anyway.
DPMS/Remington/Bushmaster... same company, same philosophy last 10-15 years: Do the opposite to what customers suggest.
It seems they start great things but then they are unable to follow through... "Coitus interruptus" type of thing I guess.

Another brand I had lots of issues with are the SGM magazines. They break like nothing. I tried to call them and email them
many times but got no reply. The issue is even worse because here with the cheap plastic they use, the lips break so easy if
you drop them. That is what a magazine does many times.

Compared to the original mags from Russia that are made of real glass filled polymer these plastic made SGM look like, feel like work like chit.
The other polymer brands promag, tapco, etc... they are not so great neither and might need some fiddling to make them work fine but
at least the polymers are real hard polymer unlike the SGM plastic garbage. I have pictures of the SGM with broken lips and falling
apart. I just don't understand how something that is not cheap at all can be made of such material for this type of application.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
The mags bodies are pretty rigid and look great. I have not used them that much because of the crappy toy like followers
and also because I have other brands but I want to fix them anyway.
DPMS/Remington/Bushmaster... same company, same philosophy last 10-15 years: Do the opposite to what customers suggest.
It seems they start great things but then they are unable to follow through... "Coitus interruptus" type of thing I guess.
Agreed the magazine body is great, it would be awesome if Magpul would make a good anti tilt follower for them but that wouldn't make sense from a business stand point and would detract from sales of thier own magazine they actually built correctly. I know a few machinist who could mill a prototype out of aluminum and it could be beta tested and then used for a mold but that would be stupid expensive unless you could easily sell thousands of them.
Of course then there's the 3D printing but still very expensive.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have to agree with the crappy DPMS follower.

The MagPul 308 magazines are both lighter and have a much better follower.

You might try a MagPul follower

Thanks for the suggestions. I took two apart and looked at them and it seems they will not work due
to the different dimensions and profile. It would be nice if they did because
magpul polymers are so good. I wish magpul did a follower for the SR-25/DPMS type
like they do for the AR15 GI mags but I guess there is not enough market for this.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts