6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any experience with the 308 Marlin lever gun. I got one on a partial trade for an atv. Good looking gun and the ballistics are pretty impressive with Hornady 140gr mono flex. I'm deciding weather to keep it or sell/trade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
10,460 Posts
I think they are cool rifles for what they are, a lever gun that is almost a .308, but did anyone else than Hornady make ammo? I haven't seen the stuff in years.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Remington made it at one point because the gun came with a box. But yes, Hornady is all I can find now.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have always wanted to have one of those rifles. I love my old 336 and that is just one damn good looking rifle! Guess I am old school.

·
Registered
101 Posts
My father has one of those in stainless pepper laminate as pictured.

It is a tack driver . One of the most accurate guns (at 100yds anyways) we own.
Most of the deer he shoots with it don't get a pass through though. The bullet is usually found lodge in he offside hide.
They are usually drt or nearby , so so far that hasn't been an issue.

Beautiful gun. Although I'm not much on lever guns.

·
Administrator
22,084 Posts
Join up with MarlinOwners.com and read up on Post Sale Marlins (as in purchased by Freedom Group in 2009). They laid off all the lever gun smiths when they moved the production line to Ilion, NY to be made alongside Remington bolt actions. There was a significant learning curve for the new workers to "get it right" to make a lever gun.

Cracked receivers, due to over-torqued barrels were reported. Sights which were not clocked at "12" due to barrel torque issues. Poorly fitted furniture was found... to name a few issues. A TRUE "Marlin" is a gem, the original "Remlins" were iffy. I think they finally worked out the issues, but, don't know how long that took.

I found a TRUE Marlin in .45-70 a few years back and scooped it up, NIB.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
A friend of mine bought a box of 308 Hornady ammo for his old Winchester semi auto rifle. He called me and said I have a problem. I said what's up? He said this 308 ammo will not chamber in his gun. I said what kind of ammo did you get. He said it says 308 Marlin on the box. Lol He gave me the box of ammo for trade for some 308 Winchester ammo I gave him. I have 19 308 Marlin rounds. Anybody in the Katy area can have them. Just need to come pick them up.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Join up with MarlinOwners.com and read up on Post Sale Marlins (as in purchased by Freedom Group in 2009). They laid off all the lever gun smiths when they moved the production line to Ilion, NY to be made alongside Remington bolt actions. There was a significant learning curve for the new workers to "get it right" to make a lever gun.

Cracked receivers, due to over-torqued barrels were reported. Sights which were not clocked at "12" due to barrel torque issues. Poorly fitted furniture was found... to name a few issues. A TRUE "Marlin" is a gem, the original "Remlins" were iffy. I think they finally worked out the issues, but, don't know how long that took.

I found a TRUE Marlin in .45-70 a few years back and scooped it up, NIB.
I was on there briefly and I think (hopefully) this one is good. It is JM stamped and the serial number starts with 93, not letters.

I think I might clean it up, put that tasco scope in the appropriate place, and shoot it a few times. I'll still probably sell it. Just something about a stainless/laminate lever gun I can't wrap my head around. Kind of like wood on an AR

·
Administrator
22,084 Posts
I was on there briefly and I think (hopefully) this one is good. It is JM stamped and the serial number starts with 93, not letters.

I think I might clean it up, put that tasco scope in the appropriate place, and shoot it a few times. I'll still probably sell it. Just something about a stainless/laminate lever gun I can't wrap my head around. Kind of like wood on an AR

Ok, if it's a JM stamped barrel, you're GTG!! It's a TRUE Marlin. I'd keep it, great brush gun.

·
Registered
6,732 Posts
How much are you looking to get for it? Probably not for me as I have a 44 mag and a 30-30 lever that I never use ( I like that ss/laminate combo)--- I'll ask my buddies if they are interested (if you'll ship to ffl that is)

·
Registered
528 Posts

Should be a 2007 manufacture date with a 93 SN.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
How much are you looking to get for it? Probably not for me as I have a 44 mag and a 30-30 lever that I never use ( I like that ss/laminate combo)--- I'll ask my buddies if they are interested (if you'll ship to ffl that is)
I honestly don't know, it seems that these "real" Marlins seem to be worth more than the new guns. It looks like the new stainless/laminate guns sell for around $800. There is one identical to this on gunbroker that starts at $950. I think that's pretty unrealistic.

·
Registered
348 Posts
They are great shooters. I bought one when they first came out. I used it for one season then sold it. Only reason I sold it was to consolidate. I didn't want to be reloading for two different 308 rounds. It has its use, and shoots great, but it was a niche gun for me that didn't fit my needs in the end.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts