6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
2,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sadly i traded all my 130 grain sost bullets and ammo to trader H cause 308 stuff for a build was almost impossible to find. then, of course, i found some build it stuff. now...i need some lighter bullets to run in a 16 inch barrel. i'm thinking the 135 gr SMK for price at midway, or the accubond (pricey) at midway. how's the SMK run if you've loaded any up?

·
Registered
4,974 Posts
I am sorry for your loss. I know it has been difficult for finding parts for the AR 308, it has become the new Barbie for men. Two years ago there were about 20 companies producing AR 308 receivers (not AR10) and there are over 55 now.

Faxon barrels has 8 different 308 barrels, Mega has several, Juggernaught Tactical has the lightest 18 inch and 20 inch Fluted 5R. Of course Harrison has some coming too.

BCGs comes in titanium, NIB, coated steel, prices from $129 to $400.

Except for the takedown pins and barrel nut/handguards everything else from a AR 15 will work.

·
Banned
2,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yes, i looked at them as well. weighing options right now, i loaded up some IMI FMJ's a while back, they're fine in the 18" rifle i had. just need to settle on something for the 16 i'm in process on

·
Registered
6,732 Posts
Have you thought of the 110 grain bullits, their velocity makes a big difference.
most of the 110 class bullets in 308 are aimed at varmint not "big game" so it depends on your intended usage---- you might consider the 125 Nosler BT for light weight- I pushed it to almost 2900 in my 16" and it has a solid copper base that remains intact with the jacket even if it sheds it's lead core, 130 tsx was around 2750 from a 16" but I could not get them dialed in to my liking or try some of the 150 class , got them to around 2650 from my 16" --- the 165 weight and hevier bullets are stout and may not expand well in a 16" with the speeds you reach in a 308, BUT the 178 eldx seems promising--- it's construction is designed to expand well at lower velocities, and it has an interlock ring to help keep it together at higher velocities as well--xman got them to expand down to 1700fps and I can get them up to 2470fps from my 16" accurately and with their high BC they retain energy very well for longer ranges if you so desire ( at the 2470fps I got them to, they still should be traveling 1690fps @ 650yards, and still retain 1200ft lbs of energy at 650 also---a very capable big game bullet---drop is quite a bit (obviously) at those distances, but wind drift is decent due to the weight and BC of the bullet. God luck

·
Banned
2,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks! i'm also looking closely at the 125 gr, i think the 110 gr would be too light for my tinkering

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
most of the 110 class bullets in 308 are aimed at varmint not "big game" so it depends on your intended usage---- you might consider the 125 Nosler BT for light weight- I pushed it to almost 2900 in my 16" and it has a solid copper base that remains intact with the jacket even if it sheds it's lead core, 130 tsx was around 2750 from a 16" but I could not get them dialed in to my liking or try some of the 150 class , got them to around 2650 from my 16" --- the 165 weight and hevier bullets are stout and may not expand well in a 16" with the speeds you reach in a 308, BUT the 178 eldx seems promising--- it's construction is designed to expand well at lower velocities, and it has an interlock ring to help keep it together at higher velocities as well--xman got them to expand down to 1700fps and I can get them up to 2470fps from my 16" accurately and with their high BC they retain energy very well for longer ranges if you so desire ( at the 2470fps I got them to, they still should be traveling 1690fps @ 650yards, and still retain 1200ft lbs of energy at 650 also---a very capable big game bullet---drop is quite a bit (obviously) at those distances, but wind drift is decent due to the weight and BC of the bullet. God luck
Thanks, I was wondering about bullet selection as well. The 178 eldx sounds like a good pill for either the 18 or the 16. I have some 165gr SST @ 43gr Varget for the 18, any findings with a 16? Thanks for the info.

·
Banned
2,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
bought some of the 125 Nosler BT, you have a pet load for these..i've got 4198, 322, 335, CFE, and some others as well. have 500 pieces of new unfired LC brass and some once fired IMI brass, have S&B, CCI for primers

·
Registered
6,732 Posts
Thanks, I was wondering about bullet selection as well. The 178 eldx sounds like a good pill for either the 18 or the 16. I have some 165gr SST @ 43gr Varget for the 18, any findings with a 16? Thanks for the info.
Did not try any 165 class in the 16" as the bullets are more stout for loadings like the 300wm--- I wouldn't trust the 165bbullets tof expand well.past 200yards

bought some of the 125 Nosler BT, you have a pet load for these..i've got 4198, 322, 335, CFE, and some others as well. have 500 pieces of new unfired LC brass and some once fired IMI brass, have S&B, CCI for primers
The load I have for the 125bt are with lc brass,cci primers and TAC powder-- I was just playing around with the powder for speeds and found a decent load (it's just under 1 moa at 100 yards) --- if you want the load- pm me as its pretty hot and I developed it in the early spring so it might be too hot for summer Temps.

·
Banned
2,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
not looking for super hot, if i can get @2700 with my current powders that's good enough for my purposes. i need to buy a chrono

1 - 10 of 10 Posts