6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't post much here just read the info from ingesting Post.Few days before Christmas a co-worker brought his buddy"s AR-15 to work to sell it for him. He was broke and needing some money. It was a Spikes Tactical 223/.556 in a 16" barrel with Flambeau hard case. it was in excellent condition. I have a 6.8 with 16" barrel i use primarily for deer hunting. I couldn't help but jump on it for the very low price he was asking. I have friend that built my AR, has a machine shop and builds lowers and hand guards. He had built a few lately and said the craze lately was 300 HMR. In 13.2" barrel and 16". I am looking at ordering a 16" 1-15 twist barrel for the Spikes. Only thing i would have to do is change the barrel and could use the same gas system. The gas block is not tunable. They told me at Wilson Combat that the barrel doesn't perform well w tunable gas block which didn't seem right. My can will fit it but will not use it for deer but will for hogs. Anyone have any thoughts or info ion the 300 for me beside the info i can get off internet about it? Font Pattern Rectangle Metal Fashion accessory

· Registered
5,031 Posts
I use a 200-yard zero for my ARs (minus the anemic 300 BO). I found the POI shift when adding the suppressor can be a 9" to 21" drop depending on the barrel stiffness. It is a PIA to shift the sights back and forth. Therefore, if I use a can on a rifle, I use the can all the time instead of shifting scope zero back and forth. My 300 BO didn't need an AGB when switching between unsuppressed and suppressed. The 6.8s, 5.56s, and 224 Valkyrie all needed their gas turned down when the can is installed. I have no experience with the 300 Hammer.

· Registered
28 Posts
I think your buddy is right to say the 300 hammer is a craze . Not saying it’s not a decent round and it will definitely kill critters but you already have a 6.8 for that . As far as adj gas block not working with a particular round that doesn’t sound right because it isn’t right . That said some rounds like the 300 Bo are like x man said and with carbine buffer & springs don’t benefit any noticeable amount by installing an adj block . I need one on my 300 Bo with the 5” tube and flat spring but that is not the normal set up . A gas block opened all the way up allows the same gas to enter the tube as a non adj block . Back to the 300 hammer , why not ? if you have the itch scratch it . I would keep the .223/5.56 for shooting if for no other reason other than ammo availability and price and definitely keep the 6.8 for hunting because it is tops and then get whatever round you fancy “just because” . I have absolutely no need for my 300 Bo nor the 450 I’m thinking about building but I have an itch . Heck some people build 6.5 Grendel’s for no practical reason other than they want one .

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Received my 16” barrel Thursday. Installed with ERGO adjustable block from local tactical store. Removed the heavy Yankee Hill Quad rail with lighter hand guard. Need to find a flash hider. They were out of 5/8 x 24 flash hiders. Have a brake I could use that was on my 6.8 till I can get one. To loud

· Administrator
22,667 Posts
djones, you out there "uglying to death" pigs again? Keep on uglying!!!

· Premium Member
538 Posts
Now that is the hog shooting we expect from DJ. Way to go there Bud..
But, like Chopper said we need your rock background muzak too. ;)

Reactions: Chopperdrvr

· Administrator
22,667 Posts
Good killin' there.

· Premium Member
538 Posts
Yep. Hogs seem to become door nail dead with DJ shooting em'.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts