6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at some data and was wondering if anyone had any real-world hunting experience with 300 BO supersonic vs 6.8 on whitetail and hogs? I had the distinct privilege of getting into reloading at the worst possible time, so I am always looking to optimize efficiency since all the normal testing is so much harder. This AR will be used primarily for my kids/wife to deer hunt and possibly the occasional hog hunt. 200 yards would be the absolute farthest possible shot with 50-100 being the realistic range 99.9% of the time. Looking at the 125 MKZ 300 BO vs the 120 MKZ 6.8 and the velocities don't seem too drastically different? I have a good supply of Lil Gun for turkey loads so that could double up for the BO load as well as allow me to load the CBB MKZ subsonic from the same upper for home defense.

The 6.8 has done great for me so definitely no complaints there but as I said, always looking to optimize efficiency and be able to purchase in bulk when I am able to find components.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
The 300BO is about 300fps slower than the 6.8 using a 110gr bullet from a 16" barrel, along with a lower BC, giving it a useful range of about 200 yds for hunting. I haven't used the 120-125 gr bullets much.

Reactions: uuolfs

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
I own both , the 300 is fun to shoot easy to load for and I enjoy carrying the 8.5” barrel with a suppressor . That said even with the 110s and 125s it’s only a 150 yard deer gun in my opinion . The only time I carry it during season is when I’m filling doe tags . The 6.8 is definitely a better deer cartridge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,877 Posts
I've had three 300 BO and hunted hogs, turkey, and pesky raccoons. The primary reason I got the first 300 BO was to test .308 bullets at min opening velocity, around 1800 fps, so I didn't have to do 800-yard tests. It was a bust as there wasn't enough powder capacity achieve those velocities reliably with test set-ups inside 100 yards. I was only getting a 50% kill rate with subsonics until I realized that was pretty good. You may have been holding a rifle in your hands but a 200-grain bullet at 1000 fps is nothing more than a 45-cal pistol. 125 MKZs have been anchoring turkeys without a lot of meat damage. The Barnes 110 TTSX and 125 MKZ are the two bullets make the 300 BO a minimally viable hunting tool for me. I never was able to reload as fast as Barnes' 110 TTSX which was 2400 fps out of a 16-inch barrel. Most velocities in the BO with 110 to 125 grain bullets were 2200 to 2300 fps so I wouldn't believe the person that told you the velocities are similar to a 6.8mm. With a 50 yard zero, my 300 BO supersonics have their second zero around 125 yards or slightly farther.

What I have found is the 300 BO is anemic. I'd rather have a 5.56 with 1:7 twist (foot-stomp) with a quality copper bullet like the 70 MKZ, 55 E-tip, 55-70 GMX, TTSX, etc. The centrifugal force of the faster twist provides much larger expansion plus the bullet will be flatter shooting with longer range. And I have taken deer, pronghorn, and hogs with these bullets and the faster 1:7 twist.

I have kept the 16" barrel for testing and the 10" barrel for fun.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I have some real world experience to share:

300blk supersonic: I killed two deer with this platform. Each deer was less than 35 yards and neither deer ran more than 50 yards.

300blk subsonic: I hunt raccoons a LOT. A center mass shot is not enough to kill a large raccoon (head shots are different but harder when a raccoon is charging you). A 200 grain sub will immobilize the raccoon but not kill it. The subsonic rounds lack the energy needed to be lethal.

6.8 supersonic: I have killed a number of deer with this platform. I have killed deer out to 120 yards or so. A good broadside shot or even a frontal/ high brisket shot would drop deer. Some deer ran up to 150 yards or so.

6.8 supersonic - hogs: I have killed some hogs with this platform. I used the neck shot method that Todd Huey teaches. Dropped a nice boar dead in his tracks.

Hands down, I would use the 6.8 over the 300 blk. To me, there is no comparison if you want the lethality component.

Now, I can say this: The 300 blk subsonic platform is QUIET. No other caliber compares when running a can + subs. It sounds to me that you want the hunting option. 6.8 shines!

TC

·
Registered
6 Posts
The 6.8 has done great for me so definitely no complaints there but as I said, always looking to optimize efficiency and be able to purchase in bulk when I am able to find components.
Anyone with experience hunting white tails with a 6.8 and a can? I'm thinking about getting my 6.8 fitted to accept my can for the fall hunting season. Longest shots will be within 250-yds.

·
Registered
4,877 Posts
I haven't found any significant difference with or without a can regarding terminal performance. Is there a potential issue you are concerned about? Your rifle will be longer and heavier. The can will make your rifle hearing safe, and you will likely hear the impact of the bullet. The can may or may not affect your accuracy node. It will significantly impact POI. The best I've done with my 12" barrel is 9" drop at 200 yards (that is where I zero) with the worst being a thin 18" barrel with a -21" POI change at 200 yards. Thus, once I set-up for the suppressor, I fire that rifle suppressed all the time. Oh, you will need an adjustable gas block which I run more than 1/2 closed (not needed for the anemic 300 BO). The AGB will also be a maintenance item to make sure the adjustment screw doesn't carbon/freeze up (CLP is your friend). It is worth it. I only hunt suppressed with my ARs using a 30-cal suppressor on .224 to .308 caliber weapons.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I haven't found any significant difference with or without a can regarding terminal performance. Is there a potential issue you are concerned about? Your rifle will be longer and heavier.
Thanks for the quick reply. No, no particular issue, just wanted to know if putting a can on would affect the 6.8 as a hunting round.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Anyone with experience hunting white tails with a 6.8 and a can? I'm thinking about getting my 6.8 fitted to accept my can for the fall hunting season. Longest shots will be within 250-yds.
A can shouldn’t have any effect on a round whatsoever. Modern cans by in large do not use wipes like many older designs so there should be nothing touching the bullet at all, thus performance should be the same. Sometimes you see a slight bump in velocity but you are talking less 5-8fps. Not something I would be concerned about.

Plant Elk Deer Natural material Horn

Id say 6.8 works pretty dang good.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have some real world experience to share:

300blk supersonic: I killed two deer with this platform. Each deer was less than 35 yards and neither deer ran more than 50 yards.

300blk subsonic: I hunt raccoons a LOT. A center mass shot is not enough to kill a large raccoon (head shots are different but harder when a raccoon is charging you). A 200 grain sub will immobilize the raccoon but not kill it. The subsonic rounds lack the energy needed to be lethal.

6.8 supersonic: I have killed a number of deer with this platform. I have killed deer out to 120 yards or so. A good broadside shot or even a frontal/ high brisket shot would drop deer. Some deer ran up to 150 yards or so.

6.8 supersonic - hogs: I have killed some hogs with this platform. I used the neck shot method that Todd Huey teaches. Dropped a nice boar dead in his tracks.

Hands down, I would use the 6.8 over the 300 blk. To me, there is no comparison if you want the lethality component.

Now, I can say this: The 300 blk subsonic platform is QUIET. No other caliber compares when running a can + subs. It sounds to me that you want the hunting option. 6.8 shines!

TC
:oops: What kind of raccoons do y’all have?
They charge you? lol

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
:oops: What kind of raccoons do y’all have?
They charge you? lol
I was wondering the same thing.

A buddy of mine had one that was denned in the same tree as his bow stand. About dark a big male started coming down the tree growling at him. He let him have the tree. That's as close as I have ever heard of a racoon charging folks.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Just to share with y'all. I have been hunting raccoons for about the last ten years. I used to night hunt a lot but I switched to more daytime hunting and some night hunting (especially at the tale end of rut).

If you want to get charged, there are a few days to do it. In the midwest, rut starts around January (give or take). If you hit your raccoon fighting call and there is a dominant boar near - he will come out and often he will look at the call - look at you - and then charge YOU. I have been charged by three boars within a few minutes. The first one came at me, winded me, and left. The second one I shot and the third one I shot. The third one was the biggest of the three. A 208amax subsonic immobilized him but he was still alive and angry.

Submissive raccoons will not charge you but do not assume that all are. I had a few that wanted to tear me up. I called one raccoon boar out of brushpile on 01.31.21. He come out of that pile, saw my call, saw me and wanted to fight. I was impressed because they are not afraid of humans under the right circumstances. See below (missing tail from fighting):

Grey Woolen Wool Fashion accessory Fur

Attachments

·
Registered
4,877 Posts
mongo, there is why you are not killing raccoons with your subs, e.g., 208amax. 195 MKZ or Hornady's new 190 SP will have significantly better terminal performance.

·
Registered
371 Posts
mongo, there is why you are not killing raccoons with your subs, e.g., 208amax. 195 MKZ or Hornady's new 190 SP will have significantly better terminal performance.
My buddy and I have tested the 190 Sub-X (loaded ammo) for our hunting applications. My buddy loves the 300blk and that particular round.

I watched my buddy shoot two raccoons, both large adults, and the center mass shot "thumped" the raccoon. Both raccoons took a solid hit and ran off. There was fatty tissue left behind, very little blood, and the rounds were not lethal.

After some testing with different calibers, I have moved exclusively to a 556 rifle. I use supersonic ammo and it packs a punch. I keep my 556 barrels on the short side for maximum panning capability (raccoons are fast).

TC

·
Registered
371 Posts
The Lucky Duck guys have some really good footage of raccoon hunting. If you look around for their videos, one video shows them being surrounded by 4-7 raccoons on a brush pile. In this video, he has a raccoon come right at him but not quite charge him. In my experience, only the most aggressive boars will charge. I would bet a female defending her young would attack (but I have never had that experience). Click video below:

Lucky Duck Raccoon Calling

·
Registered
4,877 Posts
mongo, thanks for the extra details. I have not had one charge me yet. Since I sometimes shoot raccoons close to a house. If I hit them with the 190 Sub-X and they run off, that is less clean-up for me. When hit with the 195 MKZ they have dropped within a few feet. I can relate to your comment about using the 5.56. I had four raccoons perfectly lined up when I shot them at 55-Etip from my Valkyrie at 100 yards. They all feel over like dominos!

• Haha
Reactions: Guts and jk07
1 - 20 of 48 Posts