6.8 SPC Forums banner

861 - 880 of 923 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Once the casings are fire formed, should I set the die up any differently on the second loading?
Measure the headspace of a formed case before firing and then again after firing. The difference in the measurement will answer your question. If the difference is .002"-.004" you should be good to go.

·
Registered
41 Posts
The difference between my once fired and the cases I formed with the Hornady die is actually .02. I'll back off the die when I reform the once fired. My new Starline brass works fine. The Hornady brass that was originally fired in my 6.8 is hit or miss. I need to take some measurements and see what is different between the two.

·
Registered
292 Posts
The difference between my once fired and the cases I formed with the Hornady die is actually .02. I'll back off the die when I reform the once fired. My new Starline brass works fine. The Hornady brass that was originally fired in my 6.8 is hit or miss. I need to take some measurements and see what is different between the two.
If your newly formed cases are .020" shorter than your fired cases you have created excessive headspace and a potentially dangerous situation. Be careful !

·
Registered
41 Posts
The cases I originally formed with the Hornady die set .005 above shell holder were 2.030. After I fired them in my rifle, they were 2.050. On the second forming I backed the die off and the cases are now 2.046. The finished cases allow the bolt to close and eject. The readings were taken using the 9mm case method.

·
Registered
232 Posts
the tac 30 hammered this 120lb bear 110 barnes ttsx cfe black. bear was heart shot and ran about 75 yds before piling up.
Capture.PNG bear.PNG

·
Registered
41 Posts
How many reloads are you guys getting with your brass? I have 3-4 on new Starline so far and the brass still looks good.

·
Registered
13,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #871
H,

Is offering Tac30 brass for sale ever a possibility?
No, After Starline added tooling cost and all other overhead it increased the price nearly 50%.
S&B brass last longer anyway.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Did more testing today and I do realize that my chamber is a little different, I guess it was cut a little deeper, but its still considered a 30 hrt by x-caliber. Anyways I managed to get a 165gr Sierra gameking sp up to 2487fps today with 28.2grs of cfe blk. Very impressed with this little cartridge. I will make 1000 yards happen with it. Have already had it stretched out to 800 using 150gr hornady sp so Im sure it can do it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I am picking up my suppressor today. Anyone considered running subsonics in the 30 HRT? With the new offerings that expand at slower velocities, would hunting within 100' be feasible?

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
I am picking up my suppressor today. Anyone considered running subsonics in the 30 HRT? With the new offerings that expand at slower velocities, would hunting within 100' be feasible?
It has a longer case than 300BS so I doubt you can fit the heavies in the mag. If you want to load them long and single feed i dont see why you couldnt do that as long as the bullet isnt hitting the lands.

·
Registered
13,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #875
I think 180gr is the limit that will stabilize with the 11 twist unless you find a 200 or 220 round nose flay base.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I tried the Speer Hot-Cor 200 gr. HCSP subsonic in my American 30 before I went with the TAC 30.
That had a 1:11 twist and they shot well. Velocity was 1032 fps AVG.
Used Reloder 7 powder, SSA once fired brass and Federal GM205MAR primer.
Have yet to load subsonic for the TAC 30 since I have a 300 Blackout AR pistol that handles the 30 cal. subsonic work.

One thing to remember when reloading subsonic.
It is the opposite of "working up" a load.
You "work down" when testing subsonic loads.

Thanks,
Glenn

·
Registered
8 Posts
I finally jumped onboard, after watching this round from the sidelines for a couple years. This is my sixth ARP barrel, thanks H for a great product! My Tac30 barrel came in yesterday, may be able to run a few rounds through it this afternoon, starting out with SWBO behind 125 TNT's and Hornady 150 SPFB's, let's see how this goes.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well so far so good. I ended up with my sized brass measuring 1.305" to the shoulder with a Hornady 350 adapter and fired brass measured 1.312" so I'll close that up a couple thousandths for next sizing, ran these first few loads at 25 grains of SWBO with 150 Hornady SPFB's and no serious pressure signs, Win WSR primers were still rounded on the edges and no swypes or ejector imprints. Couldn't ask for a better trial run, I'll get some speeds and accuracy data after break in. Thanks to everyone for doing all the heavy lifting on this cat, it has made my first wildcat a very straightforward project.

Attachments

·
Registered
785 Posts
Congratulations on your new "mower axle". Welcome to the club. I love this round and it is my first venture into wildcats too. Very simple to work with thanks to H's well thought out design.

861 - 880 of 923 Posts