6.8 SPC Forums banner

101 - 114 of 114 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,786 Posts
i think i'll avoid doing anything to the chamber that will degrade its ability to return to a gas operated rifle. the slip grease sounds like it's worth a try. i loaded up 50 of the 95 ttsx w/33.5 rl15. with their expansion velocity and the tests i've seen on this forum, i think they'll do just fine at the ranges i hunt if i'm anywhere in the neighborhood of 2700 mv.

has anyone looked at lantac's straight pull bcg? they've placed a spring over the bolt tail and removed the gas rings from the looks of it- "spring assisted bolt unlocking system.

www.lantac-usa.com/product-page/enhanced-bcg-straight-pull-223-5-56 is it possible i could do something similar w/ my carrier, remove the gas rings and add a spring? then throw a little slip grease on the bolt lugs. will removing the gas rings effect bolt alignment and accuracy? or is all the alignment taken care of by the critical dimensions forward of the cam pin hole?
Polishing the chamber will not degrade it in any way. If you are using a piston system then you shouldn't be using gas rings on the bolt any way. They serve no purpose. Most aftermarket piston kits tell you to remove them in the instructions.

·
Registered
63 Posts
It feels like Christmas come early... Thanks Constructor! 270 MSR barrel, bolt, dies and brass arrived today! Just in time for the three day weekend. This is going to be a memorable 4th for sure.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Bruno's shooters supply is having a July 4th sale on select items. I found these Berger 130 vld hunting bullets (#27501) to be the perfect fit for the ARP 270 MSR. They are selling for nearly $10 off per hundred this weekend.

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
these Berger 130 vld hunting bullets (#27501) to be the perfect fit for the ARP 270 MSR. They are selling for nearly $10 off per hundred this weekend.
The copper jacket on Berger's .277 caliber bullets is too thick and maintains its structural integrity on impact. They will yaw 180 degrees and penetrate tail first unless they hit hard bone. I could never get Bergers of any weight to expand or fragment in my .270 Win, even when I put the bullet in a vice and sawed off the tip leaving a 1/8 hollow point and shooting inside 100 yards. The fact the bullet can be put in a vice and have a hacksaw taken to it without damage indicates the ogive's copper jacket is too strong.

Reactions: dfleury

·
Registered
290 Posts
The copper jacket on Berger's .277 caliber bullets is too thick and maintains its structural integrity on impact. They will yaw 180 degrees and penetrate tail first unless they hit hard bone. I could never get Bergers of any weight to expand or fragment in my .270 Win, even when I put the bullet in a vice and sawed off the tip leaving a 1/8 hollow point and shooting inside 100 yards. The fact the bullet can be put in a vice and have a hacksaw taken to it without damage indicates the ogive's copper jacket is too strong.
I won't dispute your experience with Berger bullets. I haven't done any ballistic testing or even hunted with them. My experience is strictly target shooting. They fit the case and chamber perfectly in my opinion. Where the boat tail and the bearing surface meet on that bullet in the 270 MSR case, that point seats just slightly above the neck shoulder junction when the bullets ogive is at the lands, all inside a unmodified PRI magazine. They shot well for me in the 270 MSR.

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
MBW, I need to apologize. When I see VLD and "hunting", I speak up. But you are right about the consistency and accuracy of the Berger .277 Bullets. That was my experience when shooting from my .270 Win and I should have included that information. Because of the results in terminal testing, I never did hunt with the 130 or 150 VLDs. Other's that did hunt with them had similar results. martentrapper recovered a VLD after it exited from a caribou which is shown below.

Reactions: MBW36330

·
Registered
13,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
MBW, I need to apologize. When I see VLD and "hunting", I speak up. But you are right about the consistency and accuracy of the Berger .277 Bullets. That was my experience when shooting from my .270 Win and I should have included that information. Because of the results in terminal testing, I never did hunt with the 130 or 150 VLDs. Other's that did hunt with them had similar results. martentrapper recovered a VLD after it exited from a caribou which is shown below.

View attachment 61713
Are you saying the rifle you shot that out of did not stabilize the bullet well enough to hit the target point first or is that paper you had behind some other test media?

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
I'm sorry, H. I can see where that picture could be confusing without explaining the terminal Bullet Performance test procedures I use in the associated 6.8 thread. This particular bullet (lower right) was shot from a .270 Win 1:10 twist at 3100 fps and impacted the center of a gallon water jug at 100 yards. The water provides the hydraulic interaction that causes bullet expansion/fragmentation. Behind the jug is a 1/4" foam board that records the bullet expansion, fragmentation, or in this case yaw before entering a bullet trap made up of phone books and magazines. Recovered bullets and their penetration are correlated with those recovered from game. In these type tests, the expanding/fragmenting bullet typically blows the water jug into pieces. This130 VLD, with a high level of kinetic energy, left the water jug unmoved with just water leaking from the entry and exit holes. The 140 VLD shown in the upper right was recovered on the ground behind a caribou and demonstrated the same terminal performance.

A couple of notes.
  • The .277 VLDs uses the same copper jacket/thickness as the 7mm VLDs which some hunters are annealing to soften the copper in order to get the bullets to fragment.
  • A spining bullet can be stable when flying through the air, but on impact, if the bullet does not shorten and increase in diameter to increase stability in a denser medium, the bullet yaws/tumbles. This is typicial performance for an FMJ.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Berger VLD Hunting bullets are trash for terminal performance. Once you tune them to your rifle they are good for accuracy though.

Everyone farms different, but I prefer Hornady or Nosler ballistic tips for terminal performance on game. The plastic tips ensure that the jacket is going to expand and if you work up a good shooing load there's no reason not to put the bullet where it needs to go.

I have a bunch of 130gr SP .277 and plan to test the 145gr ELDX .277 in the 270MSR. I am looking forward to seeing what kind of stopping power it has beyond 600yds.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Berger VLD Hunting bullets are trash for terminal performance. Once you tune them to your rifle they are good for accuracy though.

Everyone farms different, but I prefer Hornady or Nosler ballistic tips for terminal performance on game. The plastic tips ensure that the jacket is going to expand and if you work up a good shooing load there's no reason not to put the bullet where it needs to go.

I have a bunch of 130gr SP .277 and plan to test the 145gr ELDX .277 in the 270MSR. I am looking forward to seeing what kind of stopping power it has beyond 600yds.
I tried the Sierra 140 Game Changer and it ate up way too much case capacity, imo.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Got a little range time in tonight and I have to say I am pretty confident this is going to be a very accurate round. Even testing with .4 variance between rounds, looking for pressure signs, it was grouping three together inside of an inch in several places. If it will hold under an inch over 1.2gr variations in powder I'm sure it will handle temperature and elevation changes and deliver rounds on target.

I worked up to 35.4gr BLC-2 under 115gr Nosler CC with zero pressure signs. Loaded up to 38gr in .4 increments to test tomorrow. Going with the 43.7g H2O listed earlier in this thread that should be around 59K PSI and according to QL should deliver 3061fps from my 20" barrel.

More to follow....

·
Registered
63 Posts
Ran with BLC-2 up to 38gr with zero pressure signs under 115gr Nosler CC. Going to keep pushing up tomorrow after I de-prime these and see if the primer pockets are holding tight. Again, these shot better than they had any right to with there being .4 gr difference between loads. Really looking forward to working these for accuracy. The 130gr Power Point are next.

101 - 114 of 114 Posts