6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw this suggested somewhere as the compromise round for AR-10's, a .277 bullet in a .308 case. Since I don't know anything about this stuff, anyone have any constructive comments? (I am willing to build a .270 barreled AR-10, though)

My understanding is it exists and has altogether been discarded for use because no one was thinking about putting it in an AR-10.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Saw this suggested somewhere as the compromise round for AR-10's, a .277 bullet in a .308 case. Since I don't know anything about this stuff, anyone have any constructive comments? (I am willing to build a .270 barreled AR-10, though)

My understanding is it exists and has altogether been discarded for use because no one was thinking about putting it in an AR-10.
AR15 Performance might be making some uppers :) I'm excited about it. Pinching my pennies lol. :a21:

http://68forums.com/forums/showthread.php?61777-270-08

·
Registered
2 Posts
My LR-308 is in pieces after more than a year. After moving to an AR-15 I never wanted to pick that thing up again. I can kill anything I need to with a 6.8.
HOWEVER, I love my 270 and am not really fond of 308 ballistics. Get it down to 130gr bullets and chamber it so it will accept a good COAL and you might be able to push it up to 3000fps -my gut feeling. That's pretty good for a short action case you can find everywhere.

But then you could just go with a 6mm. It's not that much different.

I also really like the 270wsm for all the same reasons. It's one of the few wsm variants with better performance than its original counterpart. The recoil is less for higher energy too.

·
Premium Member
10,778 Posts
JMHO-From testing it seems the 6.5 chokes the power out of a case. 7mms an larger seem a little heavy for a 308 size case. Like Goldilocks the 277-130s seem just right to me.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts