6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First off this was an unscientific exercise that gave me an excuse to spend some time at the range, so haters give me some slack.
The purpose of the test was to determine whether or not an application of High Temp Pam would have any impact on the accuracy of .22lr's. I shot seven groupings consisting of five rounds Pam free and five with. I used a bore snake between bullet types. All groups were shot at seven yards off of a rest to minimize human error. Weapon used was my 22/45 pistol. I used an ammo box plastic divider to hold the rounds while I gave them a squirt of Pam on both sides. I just dumped them and loaded in the magazine without wiping them off. Target attached

Groups as follows:

1- Wolf Extra Match: Just a reference point, no Pam applied.
2- CCI Std Velocity: Slight improvement noted, however, other than Extra Match, this is already the most accurate lr in my pistol that I have shot thus far.
3- Federal Auto Match: I had high hopes for this because I have a lot of it......it does not like Pam!
4- Federal Gold Medal: One flyer makes this a tighter group, but one set doesn't prove it.
5- Remington Thunderbolt: Also known as "Thunder Crap" in rim fire world. The improvement here was pretty dramatic, really surprising. I re-shot this at fifteen yards just to see if is was a fluke, it wasn't. In both cases it nearly cut the cluster in half. If you're stuck with a bunch of "Thunder Crap" you might want to tinker with this.
7- Remington Thunderbolt: fifteen yard grouping as noted in 5 above.
6- CCI Mini-Mag: Wanted to see affect on a copper plated round, nothing noted, no surprise, CCI's accurate as always.

Conclusion: If you're shooting local club matches and not wanting to pay the high prices for match ammo, the Pam application "might" improve your scores a tad with a little pre-testing on your own. I don't have any desire to spray Pam on anything other than my grill going forward lol!

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
look out thundercrap, here comes Pam!!! :a21:

·
Super Moderator
21,654 Posts
Well, ONE thing that Pam is good for ("Thunder Crap"). :a26:

·
Super Moderator
21,654 Posts

·
Registered
6,957 Posts

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
How did you come up with the idea of using Pam as an accuracy enhancement?
OP had noted (in a different thread) that most "match" grade 22lr ammo was "wet" in the box and had read internet fairies say that it worked so he thought he'd try it.

·
Super Moderator
21,654 Posts
OP had noted (in a different thread) that most "match" grade 22lr ammo was "wet" in the box and had read internet fairies say that it worked so he thought he'd try it.
So? He's been touched, by an angel? :a04:

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
So? He's been touched, by an angel? :a04:
a wet thundercrap fairy named Pam! :a08:..can't seem to keep this thread on track today can we?

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Y'all are having way too much fun at my expense.........my time in the box.

·
Super Moderator
21,654 Posts

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I seem to recall a thread on another forum by some guy making the point that it doesn't matter what you use to lube an AR, just that you lube it with *something*. I believe he proved it by running a thousand or so rounds through his using only Parkay. When it began to slow down the remedial action was more Parkay.

I guess boredom can do that to some people...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts