6.8 SPC Forums banner

61 - 80 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
xman, you have any good data for 88eldm? I just left the range, and what shot good for me last year isn’t doing so well now. 27gr of Re17, at 2.230” and 2.356” (.010 off) were all over the place. I’ve also had a bunch of gas issues, I’ve getting a FTE about every 3-4 rounds. I’ve got the gas port opened up to .125”, and it holds the bolt back on last shot, but this chamber is tight. Trying to get handloads to chamber reliably has been a bitch for lack of better terms. I’m running RCBS AR small base dies, and I’ve even ran them through the resizer several times to make sure that should gets bumped back, but it’s still being a royal pain. I even tried some factory stuff that didn’t wanna chamber. I’m having second thoughts about this build now... 🤔

·
Registered
13,748 Posts
xman, you have any good data for 88eldm? I just left the range, and what shot good for me last year isn’t doing so well now. 27gr of Re17, at 2.230” and 2.356” (.010 off) were all over the place. I’ve also had a bunch of gas issues, I’ve getting a FTE about every 3-4 rounds. I’ve got the gas port opened up to .125”, and it holds the bolt back on last shot, but this chamber is tight. Trying to get handloads to chamber reliably has been a bitch for lack of better terms. I’m running RCBS AR small base dies, and I’ve even ran them through the resizer several times to make sure that should gets bumped back, but it’s still being a royal pain. I even tried some factory stuff that didn’t wanna chamber. I’m having second thoughts about this build now... 🤔
Just an opinion, .125" for a gas port is way to big. Everyone else is using .098". At .125 it is probably trying to jerk the case out of the chamber before the bullet has exited the muzzle. If the carrier starts moving before the bullet exits it will shake the whole rifle and accuracy will be poor.
On top of that the larger the port the more chance of it scraping copper off one side of the bullet, if that happens it will make the bullet out of balance and it will wobble.

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #63 (Edited)
gmvk30, I'm not sure how much I can help. I'm running 26.8 grains of RE17 in Hornady resized brass, CCI 450s, with a 2.355 COAL. I have not modified the gas port and run an adjustable gas block 1/2 closed. You have to be way overgassed with the gas port opened up to 0.125" . Your cases may be extracting early when chamber pressure is still high. This pressure could be holding the brass against the chamber wall causing your failure to extract.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Running a PRS stock and rifle buffer, that’s what I had to open it to, go get the LRBHO to work. Usually every few rounds, I’ll have an empty stuck in the ejection port, and a round half stripped from the mag. It’s ejecting at about 2-2:30 on an ejection chart, and is throwing the brass about a foot. That makes sense though about the port damaging the bullet, especially since there’s no way to clean any burrs up, other than a bore brush. The groups I got today, were probably 1.5” ish... I wasn’t enthused enough about them to walk down range to get the target when I was done.

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
gmvk30, I've experienced the symptoms you describe. Depending on what brass you are using and the amount of freebore your barrel has, your load could be a little hot to begin with. With the gas port opened up, IMO, you are way overgassed and you bolt is trying to open too soon while chamber pressure is too high. I would suggest getting an adjustable gas block (SLR is my recommendation) and starting with it 1/4 open then work from there.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I’m gonna throw an adjustable on it before I give up on it. I’m using mainly Federal brass. Might back off on the load a few tenths of a grain too, and try that. Was getting good velocities though, 2800-2820 ish. I’m gonna look over my bolt real well too. I ran it in a 6.8 I had a bunch of gas problems with too, but eventually got the gun to run good. We shall see. What kind of buffer system you running, xman?

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
I’m using mainly Federal brass. Might back off on the load a few tenths of a grain too, and try that. Was getting good velocities though, 2800-2820 ish.
I'm using Hornady brass. Hornady has more case capacity than Federal brass so your 27.0 grain RE17 load is hotter. If new brass, it could have slightly higher pressure. 2650 to 2700 fps is typical with 88 ELD-M so your velocities indicate high pressure also.

I'm using a standard collapsible buffer.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Well I’m back to square one as far as my rrifle goes. Cleaned bore: No visible burrs or deformations at the gas port. Cleaned the BCG: it had a ton of carbon build up at the back of the carrier bore. Got that and the bolt cleaned up, I’ll put it back together in the morning. Checked the extractor and ejector. Good working order, with a 5 coil extractor spring and o-ring insert. Gonna ditch the 5.1 oz rifle buffer for a H or Carbine setup, and SLR adjustable block is on order. Now I need to find some Hornady or star line brass and go from there. This federal stuff is junk.

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #69

·
Registered
81 Posts
Ended up ordering some brass yesterday. I think I may may a switch to 80 eldm and H4895, but for now, Im gonna tinker with the 88’s some more. May try some Varget and see how that shoots. First order will be getting the rifle up and running right, once my gas block shows up. I’m hoping having new brass, that hasn’t been reloaded several times will fix some of my chambering issues, plus I ordered a new mag to try as well.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Ended up ordering some brass yesterday. I think I may make a switch to 80 eldm and H4895, but for now, I’m gonna tinker with the 88’s some more. May try some Varget and see how that shoots. First order will be getting the rifle up and running right, once my gas block shows up. I’m hoping having new brass, that hasn’t been reloaded several times will fix some of my chambering issues, plus I ordered a new mag to try as well.

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
I took the Valkyrie to another sniper match last weekend at the Tac Pro Shooting Range about 75 miles West of the DFW Metroplex. They gave little information ahead of time what the events would be or how they would be run except be prepared to shoot out to 1200 yards which the 88 ELD-Ms will do. The match was very interesting and challenging. It had 12 stages of the most challenging shooting I have ever done ... and I was not prepared like I should have been. The first thing they told us was to pack up all our gear and leave our trucks behind. We hiked all day to all the stages and you could only use what you carried with you. With all the rain we have been having, the land was carpeted with wild flowers. We shot support and unsupported, prone, sitting, kneeling, and standing. The targets were as small as 1/4" at 100 yards used for precision drills (I didn't have my 75-Amax short range load shooting well enough to hit that small of a target. We also shot varying targets out to 1000 yards. Some long distance targets were unknown distance out in open fields and you were only allowed to determine the range with the scope's reticle. The 88 ELD has significantly more KE than the faster 75 Amax and had no problem energetically ringing the steel at distance. We had 5 people drop out so only 15 finished. I thought I personally and my loads could do better but still finished in the top 1/3. The guy that won has shot this event for 10 years straight, had a 20 pound rifle that cost close to $10,000 with scope, and he carried and used a tripod with him all day (a bit over the top in my view but it contributed to his success when he was allowed to use it).

I don't feel handicapped at all using the Valkyrie along side Creedmoors, 308s, etc. They told us to be prepared to shoot out to 1200 yards which caused me to learn my 1" tube scope doesn't have enough elevation to go past 1000 yards so ordered a 20-moa scope mount. Midway has a viable unit on sale for around $50 if your on a budget. I've never had a 20-moa offset before so thought I would try it.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/993923/ar-stoner-extended-1-piece-cantilever-scope-mount-picatinny-style-with-integral-rings-ar-15-matte-black

·
Registered
280 Posts
I took the Valkyrie to another sniper match last weekend at the Tac Pro Shooting Range about 75 miles West of the DFW Metroplex. They gave little information ahead of time what the events would be or how they would be run except be prepared to shoot out to 1200 yards which the 88 ELD-Ms will do. The match was very interesting and challenging. It had 12 stages of the most challenging shooting I have ever done ... and I was not prepared like I should have been. The first thing they told us was to pack up all our gear and leave our trucks behind. We hiked all day to all the stages and you could only use what you carried with you. With all the rain we have been having, the land was carpeted with wild flowers. We shot support and unsupported, prone, sitting, kneeling, and standing. The targets were as small as 1/4" at 100 yards used for precision drills (I didn't have my 75-Amax short range load shooting well enough to hit that small of a target. We also shot varying targets out to 1000 yards. Some long distance targets were unknown distance out in open fields and you were only allowed to determine the range with the scope's reticle. The 88 ELD has significantly more KE than the faster 75 Amax and had no problem energetically ringing the steel at distance. We had 5 people drop out so only 15 finished. I thought I personally and my loads could do better but still finished in the top 1/3. The guy that won has shot this event for 10 years straight, had a 20 pound rifle that cost close to $10,000 with scope, and he carried and used a tripod with him all day (a bit over the top in my view but it contributed to his success when he was allowed to use it).

I don't feel handicapped at all using the Valkyrie along side Creedmoors, 308s, etc. They told us to be prepared to shoot out to 1200 yards which caused me to learn my 1" tube scope doesn't have enough elevation to go past 1000 yards so ordered a 20-moa scope mount. Midway has a viable unit on sale for around $50 if your on a budget. I've never had a 20-moa offset before so thought I would try it.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/993923/ar-stoner-extended-1-piece-cantilever-scope-mount-picatinny-style-with-integral-rings-ar-15-matte-black
Great job and congrats on a great finish!

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
How much did they charge for the event? Sounds like a challenging day of shooting. Can't image humping a 20 lb. rifle around. What caliber was the winning shooting?

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
Early sign-up was $75. I was late and cost me just under $100.

The winner was shooting a 6mm Creedmoor. He was on his second barrel. I've heard that the 6mm C is a real barrel burner with some saying barrels last 1000 to 2000 rounds (I have no first-hand knowledge). I've seen several of them priced $200 to $300 less than the 6.5 counterpart.

I'm keeping track of my rounds fired an am 462 sent down-range. I'm also just got a Harrell's powder throw to increase my precision and reduce time loading for one of these matches.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Early sign-up was $75. I was late and cost me just under $100.

The winner was shooting a 6mm Creedmoor. He was on his second barrel. I've heard that the 6mm C is a real barrel burner with some saying barrels last 1000 to 2000 rounds (I have no first-hand knowledge). I've seen several of them priced $200 to $300 less than the 6.5 counterpart.

I'm keeping track of my rounds fired an am 462 sent down-range. I'm also just got a Harrell's powder throw to increase my precision and reduce time loading for one of these matches.
Interesting--I had McGowen cut me 6 mm creed barrel and did the build but haven't done a whole lot of load development. Was this a bolt space gun (sounds like it) or an AR? Do you know what his loads were? My 6C barrel is especially fond of 108 eldm's though some say that's a bit big--mine has no trouble with them.

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
He was shooting a bolt gun with a 26-28" barrel. The rifle was as long as he was tall with a suppressor. He was shooting 108 Bergers and getting approximately 3000 fps. That is all I found out.

·
Registered
13,748 Posts
He was shooting a bolt gun with a 26-28" barrel. The rifle was as long as he was tall with a suppressor. He was shooting 108 Bergers and getting approximately 3000 fps. That is all I found out.
A 6 CM(Competition Match) using H1000 will last a lot longer than the Creedmoor and push 108s to 3150. Superslow powder is the key, those guys using 4350 and Re17 burn barrels pretty quick.

·
Registered
280 Posts
LOL--sounds like small-bore field artillery. I've surpassed 3000 fps with my 22" 6mm creed AR with a 105 gr eldms--I'm guessing he had an extremely soft shooting gun between the weight and the suppressor. Sounds like cheating to me. :a12:

·
Registered
280 Posts
A 6 CM(Competition Match) using H1000 will last a lot longer than the Creedmoor and push 108s to 3150. Superslow powder is the key, those guys using 4350 and Re17 burn barrels pretty quick.
I've wondered about the small primer version--they came out just after I ordered my first 500 large primer 6mm CM brass. I've had stellar results with 4000MR.

61 - 80 of 133 Posts