6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thoughts on the a new armalite AR vs. a DPMS already have the DPMS but has the fixed carry handle looking at a trade for a a4 armalite

·
Registered
410 Posts
I don't have any experience with Armlite AR's but I do with DPMS. I have seen that brand of AR fail more often than any other, broken bolts being the chief culprit. I have owned two M4 Bushamsters in .223 that worked through thousands of rounds with no more than three stoppages between the two. Stag, RRA, Colt...they all work. I just don't have any personal knowledge with the Armalite.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I got my Armalite in 2006, and has been very reliable for me. I can barely remember a hic-up during it's 1000 to 1500 round count shooting all sorts of different ammo from Black Hills to Wolf. Very accuate to boot for a CL barrel, likes the Black Hills ammo for sure. Mid-length gas makes for a pretty soft shoot rifle.

Only experience with Dpms is the 308 that I owned. While it was accuate the trigger really needed work like it was unemployed, and it weighed more than I like for a hunting rig. It too never burped on me that I can recall.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Buying a Panther Lite for future 6.8 upgrade. Should that work ok? First inspection seemed like a well built rifle, but of course will need to go to the range when I pick it up.

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
Yeah, if you're buying the DPMS to convert to 6.8 later. Bolt, barrel, mags, maybe buffer/spring and you're done. The receivers are fine. DPMS had issues in the past, see above, but I believe they have made efforts to stay competitive. With all the AR manufacturers now, DPMS had to improve or be cast aside. I do know they are known for tight chambers, especially recent threads here about their 6.8's.

I do not own DPMS but I've shot with friends and family who do own them, and in the recreational and personal defense shooting world they have worked okay. There were a couple DPMS rifles in a carbine class I took several years ago and we really didn't have any major issues with any of the rifles. If you have a professional need to carry a rifle, I would clearly defer to RCrandall and others who use their rifles for a living. He gave a frank review based on his experience, and I took note of what he said.

·
Registered
441 Posts
DPMS bolts SUCK. The other stuff is actually good. Even there barrels once you ream the chamber to the properly specs will shoot under 1 moa consistently.

But with that said DPMS cannot even come close to Armalite. There receivers and all parts command a much higher price and value. If you can get either for a future build go with Armalite hands down. Now you do have to check the BC key to make sure its staked on eithr of these but Armalites quality of parts is a couple notches above DPMS.

But if again their is nothing wrong with DPMS receivers and other parts other then their bolts and the tight chambers. DPMS receiver are MilSPec forged T6 as are Armalites

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
went and got the armalite love it. Shoots awesome no regrets one bit. just can't decide if i like that better than my RRA, I just recieved my RRA 6.8 on 11-14 after 6 month wait and i was not sure what to except from them, compared to Armalite but I am really impressed. Now this week comes a Constructer creation with all the goodies.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts