6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone here that shoots 6.8 decided (for whatever reason) to abandon their .223/5.56?

I've been shooting the 6.8 for about a year now, and since then I have yet to shoot any of my .223/5.56 stuff. A large part of me wants to sell my 5.56 uppers & ammo (and put the money into more 6.8 stuff of course)...yet a small part of me thinks I should always keep at least some minimum amount of the stuff.

Thoughts?

·
10,536 Posts
2 is better than 1

·
Registered
215 Posts
I was pondering the same thing. Then I read in another thread you can't have too much sex, horsepower, or firepower.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Has anyone here that shoots 6.8 decided (for whatever reason) to abandon their .223/5.56?

I've been shooting the 6.8 for about a year now, and since then I have yet to shoot any of my .223/5.56 stuff. A large part of me wants to sell my 5.56 uppers & ammo (and put the money into more 6.8 stuff of course)...yet a small part of me thinks I should always keep at least some minimum amount of the stuff.

Thoughts?
Are you reloading? If so, stock up on the basics for 6.8..

If I wasn't a reloader, I'd hold on to the 5.56 and stock ammo.

That said, I have and hold both 6.8, 5.56 and add 7.62X51.

Ole Silver

·
Super Moderator
21,654 Posts
I have a couple of 6.8 and a couple of 5.56 (carbine/pistol in each), and have another of each caliber waiting to be built... as well as a hybrid of the two (6.8 case firing a 5.56). :a44:

So, I say, 3 is more gooder than 1. :a45:

·
Registered
345 Posts
the 223/556 will always have a place in my safe. I have a few, and they are cheap to shoot if you are going to the range. Ammo availability in the event of zombies is also another reason to keep one around. Seriously though I feel its good to have one around, even if its not shot very often.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I was pondering the same thing. Then I read in another thread you can't have too much sex, horsepower, or firepower.

That list is missing barbecue. Other than that, it sounds about right.

I have 2 5.56 and 2 6.8, I really want to do a 308. Once I get the 308 then I'm sure I'll want a creedmoor...

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
The first couple years after my first 6.8, I never shot my 556 guns, so I sold them. Later on, I started missing the cheap(er) target practice they gave me, so I built another in 556, then another....... You get the picture.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Keep it

I have a self imposed rule of not ever selling guns, but that is just me. Although I've considered selling my Mosin Nagant. Unless you really need the money, I would always keep the 556/223. Ammo will always be more plentiful, easier to find, and cheaper.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
5.56/223 for plinking, 6.8 & 458 for serious things. I like redundancy and a spare 5.56 is more fun than a box of spare parts.

·
Banned
130 Posts
If you get rid of the 5.56 how will you make empty cases to turn in to .277wolverine ammo? What's that you say, you don't have a wolverine? You should probably get one then. And keep your other uppers.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I guess what I am trying to reconcile is if I'm going to stock ammo why not just stock 6.8? Ultimately it will not be an issue of more vs. less (other than variety)...it will either be (for example) 2000 rounds 6.8 or 1000 rounds 6.8 and 1000 rounds 5.56. The total count of guns/ammo will not change as I would re-purchase everything 5.56 I get rid of in the 6.8 variety. I read a lot of people talking about having the 5.56 for SHTF/Zombie's/Etc...personally if any of those things were to happen the last AR I would pick would be the 5.56...it would either be the 6.8 or the .308.

With cartridges such as the 6.8, and other wildcat rounds now available...assuming of course one stocks enough ammo...what real use is the 5.56 anymore other than plinking/practice inexpensively?

·
Registered
435 Posts
With cartridges such as the 6.8, and other wildcat rounds now available...assuming of course one stocks enough ammo...what real use is the 5.56 anymore other than plinking/practice inexpensively?
And that's not a legitimate use?

I also use my 5.56 guns for introducing new shooters to centerfire rifles. Ammo is much cheaper, and although recoil of both calibers is minimal, 5.56 is less.

Besides, I've got to keep my 5.56 match gun for CMP competition.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I should also mention that I do not reload. I have thought about it many times...and was very close to doing so at one point..but ultimately it came down to not really having the time. If I had more free time I would reload in a heartbeat...and one day hopefully that will be the case.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
And that's not a legitimate use?

I also use my 5.56 guns for introducing new shooters to centerfire rifles. Ammo is much cheaper, and although recoil of both calibers is minimal, 5.56 is less.

Besides, I've got to keep my 5.56 match gun for CMP competition.
Of course that's a legitimate use...that why I wrote "OTHER THAN plinking/practice inexpensively"

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Well if one cannot have too much firepower I suppose that bolsters the case for getting rid of the 5.56 and replacing with 6.8. ;)

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The first couple years after my first 6.8, I never shot my 556 guns, so I sold them. Later on, I started missing the cheap(er) target practice they gave me, so I built another in 556, then another....... You get the picture.
LOL...Yes, I am trying to avoid that exact scenario...and as much as I'd like to get rid of them I'm not sure if I'll actually do so.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
it sounds to me that you have already made up your mind to get rid of it. go ahead and sell it.
Yes, it certainly sounds that way...and most of my rebuttal posts sure indicate that...yet had I not posted this in the first place, and read/thought about the responses I most likely would have sold the 5.56 stuff.

But after reading much of what you all have wrote I think I need to be more appreciative of some of the advantages of keeping some 5.56...cheaper/available ammo for plinking/practice, and as one poster wrote about introducing new shooters to the rifle...it's always enjoyable to see new shooters shoot something that has that amount of power, accuracy, and little recoil...and see the smile on their faces.

I do sincerely thank you all for responding!!!!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts