6.8 SPC Forums banner
381 - 400 of 403 Posts

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
That's an interesting find. Maybe they are gearing up for a boutique run. They'll have to change the head stamp to something else. Heck maybe NOSGAR!!

I would wonder/doubt that SAAMI would do another same same case thing with just a different bolt face for the brass. This would not be as big a jump as the wanting and SPC II designated SAAMI chamber but I believe they are all about keeping confusion down as much as anything. I know that in testing side by side I have to remember to swap out bolts since the 223 and 6.8 size don't play well at all. You can go the other way and actually get some extraction but it can be iffy..LOL

Greg

BTW my HAGAR 22 wildcat is running like greased owl dookie. 55's at 3800 +. :p

·
Registered
585 Posts
That's an interesting find. Maybe they are gearing up for a boutique run. They'll have to change the head stamp to something else. Heck maybe NOSGAR!!
NOS--GAR Would imply Hagar parent, and it's really just a few lines of code when forming a 22N case. I like the 22N2.0 :)

I know that in testing side by side I have to remember to swap out bolts since the 223 and 6.8 size don't play well at all. You can go the other way and actually get some extraction but it can be iffy..LOL BTDT

Greg

BTW my HAGAR 22 wildcat is running like greased owl dookie. 55's at 3800 +. :p
Full length HAGAR case? That's screamin.

The SPC-SPC2 is a safety issue. Rim size probably isn't as risky. Except in the case of a 6.8-22 that would probably chamber in a 22N.

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Full length HAGAR case? That's screamin.

The SPC-SPC2 is a safety issue. Rim size probably isn't as risky. Except in the case of a 6.8-22 that would probably chamber in a 22N.
Yes FL with a die massage..lol I suppose I could do a write up on here on it.

That 22X6.8 in there would likely be a case head separation deal like the 222 in a 223. You might even be able to put a 6X6.8 o full 6.8 in there with a bit of effort. Food for thought and play later since I have them all from 20 up to 6.8.

Greg

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Sort of expected a response to this.
With the complaining about the rebated rim of the 22N, the 6mm Hagar brass, bumped, necked, and trimmed to use 6.8 bolts seemed to be the way to go.
The batch I bought of Hornady 6mm Hagar brass was good stuff. The latest run offered through Creedmoor Sports had to be sorted to get good cases to sell.
Glad I passed on that stuff.
Now Midway has come out with Dogtown 22N brass and ammo. Cheaper than the name brand Nosler stuff. I bought some and will shoot it soon.
Some are complaining it's the same soft stuff. It does look good through.

Then I get this one oddball case with a 6.8 head but a 22 Nosler body. A factory bumped, necked, and trimmed 22N case that fits a 6.8 bolt.
Accident? I don't think so. The heads are likely turned and rolled to a machine program. To plop one out that matches what many 22N reloaders are looking for isn't an accident.
Couple this with the "Clearance" of 22N Dogtown brass @ Midway makes me think a 22 Nosler 2.0 is in the works.
This will require those that want to convert from .223 to 22N to buy a new 6.8 bolt. A new bolt really isn't a bad idea anyway.

Maybe I'm wrong and have a rare collectable mistake, but I doubt it.

Anyone else have one of these?
Or has everyone been sworn to secrecy :)
Any chance they all start out that way and have an extra step in the process for the rebated rim that that one missed?

·
Registered
585 Posts
That would be neat.
Just send me a couple hundred bypassing the last step :)

The groove and rim of the Oddball looks finished.
Accurately finished.
Hard to tell this one from a 6.8 or Hagar case just looking at the base.

Here's some new cases.
Nosler 22N, Dogtown 22N, the Odd ball, Fed 6.8, and Hagar 6mm.
(not in that order)

Brass Glass Metal

·
Registered
585 Posts
Made another trip to 600yds today. Didn't do as good as last time but fought a new wind scenario this time.
Shot two 8's (one left, one right) and it was the wind's fault :)
Had another 99 ten shot string but it didn't help much, 96,99,96,94,96,94, finished with a 95.83%-13X.
Shot off a homemade bipod and used my AnDor sling with it.

What was really interesting is the Dogtown brass with a thinner neck (250.5 loaded compared to 253 with the Nosler brass) and I had
NO STICKAGES. None, Nada. Hopefully the extra clearance won't hurt groups.
Now to do some testing with New Dogtown, Once Fired Dogtown, and Once Fired Nosler.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Dogtown Brass @ Midway, Free shipping on $49.
Click on "See Details and apply code.
Go to Dogtown 22 Nosler brass, add 250 to cart.
Find something for about $3, add to cart.
Probably gonna get charged Tax though.

Might be worth it.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Well, looks like Midway is about out of the batch of Dogtown CLEARANCE 22 Nosler brass.
The prices today are;
50 for $10.99 (clearance brass)
100 for $49.99 (not clearance)
250 for $99.99 (not clearance)

I bought 250, then 100 tossed in with another order, then another 250 of the clearance grade :)
Think I'll pass for now at the current prices unless they turn out to be the 6.8 based ones.

EDIT: Just had to call Midway and see what the difference is.
Got an Operator, held for 9 minutes, got a Blond.
"The 50 round boxes are are on clearance because they take up too much room on the shelves. Space needed for the 100 and 250 round boxes. They are the same brass".

First reload went fine pockets still tight.
Gonna try this Saturday @100 with 20 each: DT once fired, 20 DT new, 20 Nosler once fired.

This clearance thing must be like Walmart.
Back in the late 70's I bought a CLEARANCE S&W Model 19.
The store, in California no less :), had 5 in stock over 180 days.
I guess rules made them have to clearance one out. Wouldn't want it to spoil.
I think it was an extra 5% off every week.
They even let me examine them one at a time and pick the one I wanted.
Got it for 40% off on a Tuesday. Wednesday it would have gone to 45% off, but I was afraid I'd miss the deal.

Attachments

·
Registered
585 Posts
Just have to keep this thread rolling :)

Back to 600 today and the score dropped some more.
Seems I have more trouble with 11-1 winds and 5 to 7 than straight across 3 or 9's.
Instead of posting cherry picked groups, here's the worst of 60+ shots.
3 eights today :(
Target archery Recreation Archery Shooting sport Sport venue

and that knocked my score.
Did a 97-5, 93-2, 92-2, 96-2, 99-3, 95-1 for a 95.33%

After the last score shot (88ELD's) I shot 5 not for score 90 SMK's. Using target center as a POA and ignoring the wind I got
Eye

No chrono data on these yet, just guessed that the 88 load would be safe.
Just changed the OAL for a small jump with the 90's.

Same powder charge as a starting point as the 88 load, 30.3gr of IMR4350.

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Sometimes those mildly quartering winds just play havoc on a score. Reading the surrounding terrain and the flags can give you migraines. Lower TOF does help but it is still a battle.

You're doing some stout shooting right there day in day out. Plenty of talent and a good stick and you will prevail frequently down the road.

Greg

·
Registered
585 Posts
How's your wildcat coming?

I'm so invested in the 22N both supplies and equipment,
and mentally :)
I'm going to stick with it until the cartridge is holding me back, not the other way around :)
The F-Class folks I've been shooting with are a nice bunch and very supportive.
"not bad with an AR" :)
(kidding)

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
It's going well. The NXS will get out again next week as will the new A-30. Both finalized chambers are working well. The NXS is easily running with and over the 22-250 with good case life.

I've taken the Valkyrie out twice now and it's doing nicely. Data gathering is showing good groups and the brass is staying alive.

Greg

·
Registered
585 Posts
The thinner neck Dogtown cases don't stick.
Did the first two 20 rounds relays and not one was hard to extract.

The last relay was with the 22 Nosler brass. I had manually thinned the O.D. just a little, about 0.005" in diameter. Spun in a drill with a strip of 400. Took about 0.0002 to 0.0003" off. and had 2 that stuck. Might take those 20 and spin a little more. If that fixes the stickage I'll buy a neck turner.
Jjust thinning a little I don't think I messed up concentricity.
Just a reminder, the nosler brass gives me a loaded diameter of 0.2528 to 0.2530"
Nosgar gives a loaded diameter of 0.2522" to 0.2525"
and the Dogtown gives a loaded diameter of 0.2505"
My sanded Nosler brass is just over 0.252".
This might be my stickage fix.

Next time out will be with Dogtown and sanded Nosler brass (0.252" or a little less)

·
Registered
585 Posts
Almost a year since my last post.
Took the 28" 22N out for some practice/load development Sunday.
I bought a second hand MagnetoSpeed Sporter and wanted to try 88's and 90's with the new Staball 6.5 powder.
Book data looked good (higher velocity @ a lower pressure).
I started off with 77 Factory rounds at the 100 yard plate.
Red Wall Sign Signage Coquelicot

All shots @ 100 yds.
Then 5 shots with my normal 88 ELD, IMR4350 load.
Then 3 increasing charges with the 88 and SB6.5, labelled 88 SB-1, SB-2, SB-3 in the picture
Then 4 increasing charges with the 90 SMK and SB6.5, labelled SB-1 thru SB4.
Then a couple groups without the Chrono attached to see if I needed to rezero. Nope.
It looks like with my heavy barrel POI is a little higher with the Chrono attached.
Most of the 5 shot groups were smaller than a quarter :)
If weather permits I'll do a little more work around the 88 SB-1 load before my next 600.
(I've moved up to Mid Range F-Open EXPERT Yea me :) )

Electronics Technology Control panel Electronic device Machine

88 ELD @ 2910. I can live with that for now.

·
Registered
585 Posts
So, after a few months off at the 600 range I go Saturday.
33 degrees when I left the house @6AM, get to the range @ 8 for a 9 start. Had warmed up to almost 40 by then but at lest the sun was out.
The range in Pascagoula has gone to electronic target. Good thing my phone was charged. Needed help to get set up but not going to pull target makes the day a lot easier.
Gonna miss videoing the targets though.

Took the new load, 10.5 carats of StaBall 6.5, over a CCI450, behind an 88ELD, in a once fired 22Nosler Dogtown case.
I clocked this load @ 2910 with a MagnetoSpeed Sporter and the ShotMark showed about 1930 @ 600.
Waiting on the data file for the match. That gives a .270 G7 to 600yds.

I also changed up my position this trip. Still have that 24" wide home made bipod but used the ears on my bag as a squeeze bag. Did it help?
Don't know. Not my highest score, and shot a SIX once. Ouch, that hurt. Final was 569-17X, best string was 97-5X.
Did NOT come in last F-Open, with a 22 Nosler AR.
Bet that hurts :)

·
Registered
185 Posts
I was thinking of making a 6.8 on the Nosler brass so I would not have to change bolts when I change uppers on my "Fite Lite" lower. I wonder if I could just shorten it to 6.8 SPC length and run it through the 6.8 die using a 5.56 shell holder?

·
Registered
4,840 Posts
You would be better served by having a dedicated BCG for each upper than trying to use 22 Nosler brass to make 6.8 brass. The brass is weak to begin with.

Reactions: MGP

·
Registered
585 Posts
Old thread revival :)
Have made some improvements in my scores @ 600 and now have a 28" AR, with gas for the wife. We've made a couple trips to the local 100yd range to practice and sight in.
My old No-gas is getting long in the tooth so it will likely be a new barrel this winter. The load I settled on is 31.6gr of SB6.5 in resized 6mm HAGAR cases for 2980fps.
Dope guess is 3.0 mils and 0.1 mil per mph @ 600. (88ELD-M)
Hope to do a few ranges over the summer as a couples thing.
Late Edit: Since the 22 NOSGAR has less internal volume than the Dogtown brass, I cut the charge back about a grain. Got about the same velocity with one more grain in the Dogtown brass, 2970fps. One more practice session to confirm then it's off to 600.
(looks like someone else is up late :) )

·
Registered
585 Posts
New brass or once fired doesn't have any 'Stickage' issues when ejecting from the No Gas AR but after 2 or 3 firing it seems to creep up, usually after the first two 20 round relays.
If I swab the chamber every 5 to 10 rounds it's OK.

I bought a Small Base die to try but the die sizes the neck down to an O.D. 0.243", then the expander up to an O.D. 0.246".
Bullets are pretty tight.
My body only die doesn't touch the neck (0.260") and the Lee Collet Die sizes the neck to about 0.247".
Loaded with bullets the O.D. is 0.249" ( tested on 22 Nosgar cases)
Not liking the size down then back up, I took a 0.2505" carbide reamer and opened up the S.B. Die neck diameter.
The expander just barely drags on the neck on the way out. Then into the collet die.
So, as my brass gets used more I can S.B. without over working the necks.

I'll try and get a Bore Scope pic of the reamed neck.
Reamed and deburred. Will polish with 600 a little more. Tried on a couple cases. Seems OK.
Iris Wood Gas Circle Automotive wheel system

Here's my bump gage for HAGAR to NOSGAR conversion.
Seems to be very repeatable.
Measurements are for the Gas gun. I bump to about 0.001" longer for the No-Gas.
Liquid Bottle Drink Cylinder Wood

381 - 400 of 403 Posts